who colored their hair?

Old August 6th 03, 06:20 AM
iphigenia

Default who colored their hair?

Karen P wrote:
I know the jury is still out on the subject of hair dye during
pregnancy. And I know that different doctors have different opinions.

There are doctors that advise against it out of, IMO, an excess of caution,
but there's no evidence that it's necessarily a problem. In the 70s there
were compounds in darker dyes that were teratogenic, but those are no longer
used.

So, I'd like to hear from women who actually colored their hair during
pregnancy and had their baby's. Have you noticed any ill effects on
your baby?

I can't think what could possibly be wrong with any child that could be
directly attributed to prenatal use of hair color...

I colored my hair after the first trimester. I was careful to use
low-ammonia dyes and make sure that there was plenty of ventilation, plus I
covered my hair with a cap during processing.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old August 6th 03, 10:07 PM
llama mama

"dejablues" wrote in
:

So you're not really worried about having it look natural then. My
cousin (a hairdresser) has a word for it : Doll Hair. Not that
there's anything wrong with doll hair! :-)

actually, i started dyeing it purple to annoy my district manager when i
was working retail. the P&P manual stated that female employees hair must
be styled neatly, but didn't mention it had to be a color found in nature
my DM was quite the misogynist & it bugged the hell out of him that i
was smarter than him...
at one point it really *was* 'doll hair', but that's because it was
requested for a modeling job. it was blue, green & purple for a mermaid
painting. that was a PITA. just purple is easy, although i'm shocked by
the number of people who ask if that's my natural color...

lee currently cheerfully grayhaired
--
It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still differentiate
between a time for learning and a time for play without seeing the vital
Old August 8th 03, 02:37 AM
llama mama

"iphigenia" wrote in
:

I'd love to have navy blue hair. Pity blue and green are such a pain.
I did blue *once* and it trashed my hair - started fading within a
couple days and until it was cut off, there were patches that would
not hold any color I subsequently used.

i think i used MP midnight blue. it faded to army green in about 3 days.
i don't remember that the green turned anything really ugly, but it did
fade fast. purples & reds seem to stick the best.
my aunt died her hair bright green with food color back in the 50s (for
St.Patrick's day) and it took *months* to fade. (warning to parents: keep
the egg dye away from the kids!)
Old August 8th 03, 03:43 AM
iphigenia

llama mama wrote:

i think i used MP midnight blue.

That's what I used. I should've known better than to use MP for a tricky
color, methinks.

it faded to army green in about 3
days

Mine went grey. Not a nice grey, though.

my aunt died her hair bright green with food color back in the 50s
(for St.Patrick's day) and it took *months* to fade.

Now there's a thought...