Mother, grandmother on trial for not getting help for burned toddler

Old October 24th 07, 02:37 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
fx

Default Mother, grandmother on trial for not getting help for burned toddler

Mother, grandmother on trial for not getting help for burned toddler

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...y.31f8a63.html

12:18 AM CDT on Wednesday, October 24, 2007

By JENNIFER EMILY / The Dallas Morning News

How 20-month-old Jah'tavian Taylor got scalding bathwater over a fourth
of his body last year isn't the issue in a child abuse trial going on
this week in a Dallas County courtroom.

But what his mother and grandmother did about the toddler's second- and
third-degree burns is.

Consuela Polk, 22, and Mae Edwards, 39, are charged with causing serious
bodily injury because prosecutors say they did not seek medical
treatment for the three weeks between when Jah'tavian was burned and his
August 2006 death.

Instead, the women used an ointment prescribed when another child burned
a hand. Jah'tavian died because of the infection in his burns,
prosecutors said.

"They applied some sort of ointment, and that's all they were doing,"
prosecutor Reynie Tinajero told jurors Tuesday in opening statements.
Mae Edwards
Mae Edwards

But the women's attorneys, Ray Jackson, John Read and Vernon Johnson,
said the women thought they were doing the right thing by applying the
ointment and petroleum jelly, and cleaning him with Ivory soap.

Mr. Johnson told jurors that prosecutors must prove to them "that these
burns were so serious they could have not been treated at home."

The women could face up to life in prison if convicted.

Jah'tavian's family called 911 when they said he would not wake up from
a nap. He was probably dead when paramedics arrived, but they still
tried to revive him because of his age, a paramedic and a firefighter
testified Tuesday.

In photos of Jah'tavian's injuries taken after he died, the boy's legs
were bright red from burns, and his hands were burned as well.

In their statements to police, Ms. Edwards and Ms. Polk said they did
not take the child to the doctor because they were afraid of Child
Protective Services, the state agency that investigates child abuse.

"I was told CPS would take my child and I would also get put in jail,"
Ms. Polk said in her statement. "I had been told this by friends and
family members."

Mr. Johnson told jurors that fear of CPS is common where the family
lived in Far East Dallas.

"Of course they were scared of CPS," he said. "In their part of town,
probably everyone is scared of CPS."

In Ms. Edwards' written statement to police, she said her 4-year-old
granddaughter caused the burns but "I lied and told people that I did it
because I did not want her to be scarred for life." She also said
Jah'tavian had a knot on his head from hitting the floor.

In an interview with police, the girl admitted to turning on the hot
water, according to testimony.

Ms. Polk said in her written statement to police that the day Jah'tavian
was burned, he had a dirty diaper and began smearing feces on the wall.
Ms. Polk's mother, Ms. Edwards, put Jah'tavian in the bathtub while Ms.
Polk went to get cleaning supplies.

Then, according to Ms. Polk's police statement, another child began
crying and Ms. Edwards went to check on that child. Ms. Edwards then
heard water running. Jah'tavian's sister had turned on the water. Ms.
Edwards ran into the bathroom, shut off the water and ran cool water
over Jah'tavian.

They treated the burns with the prescription ointment. Ms. Polk also
told police that she talked to a pharmacist who gave her a spray for
itching and told her to put petroleum jelly on the burns.

Dallas police Detective Arleen Martinez testified that she could not
find the employee Ms. Polk said she spoke with. But she said she did not
talk to every employee.

CURRENTLY CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES VIOLATES MORE CIVIL RIGHTS ON A
DAILY BASIS THEN ALL OTHER AGENCIES COMBINED INCLUDING THE NSA / CIA
WIRETAPPING PROGRAM....

CPS Does not protect children...
It is sickening how many children are subject to abuse, neglect and even
killed at the hands of Child Protective Services.

every parent should read this .pdf from
connecticut dcf watch...

http://www.connecticutdcfwatch.com/8x11.pdf

http://www.connecticutdcfwatch.com

Number of Cases per 100,000 children in the US
These numbers come from The National Center on
Child Abuse and Neglect in Washington. (NCCAN)
Recent numbers have increased significantly for CPS

*Perpetrators of Maltreatment*

Physical Abuse CPS 160, Parents 59
Sexual Abuse CPS 112, Parents 13
Neglect CPS 410, Parents 241
Medical Neglect CPS 14 Parents 12
Fatalities CPS 6.4, Parents 1.5

Imagine that, 6.4 children die at the hands of the very agencies that
are supposed to protect them and only 1.5 at the hands of parents per
100,000 children. CPS perpetrates more abuse, neglect, and sexual abuse
and kills more children then parents in the United States. If the
citizens of this country hold CPS to the same standards that they hold
parents too. No judge should ever put another child in the hands of ANY
government agency because CPS nationwide is guilty of more harm and
death than any human being combined. CPS nationwide is guilty of more
human rights violations and deaths of children then the homes from which
they were removed. When are the judges going to wake up and see that
they are sending children to their death and a life of abuse when
children are removed from safe homes based on the mere opinion of a
bunch of social workers.

CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES, HAPPILY DESTROYING THOUSANDS OF INNOCENT
FAMILIES YEARLY NATIONWIDE AND COMING TO YOU'RE HOME SOON...

BE SURE TO FIND OUT WHERE YOUR CANDIDATES STANDS ON THE ISSUE OF
REFORMING OR ABOLISHING CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES ("MAKE YOUR CANDIDATES
TAKE A STAND ON THIS ISSUE.") THEN REMEMBER TO VOTE ACCORDINGLY IF THEY
ARE "FAMILY UNFRIENDLY" IN THE NEXT ELECTION...
Old October 24th 07, 03:44 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
dragonsgirl

A story of a child who died because of medical neglect on the part of his
mother and grandmother.
What's that got to do with CPS...aside from the claim that the mother did
nothing to take care of her child because she was afraid of CPS?
I'd rather my child live and be in foster care than die.
But, I guess that's just me.

Old October 24th 07, 05:17 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
Coleah

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...ws/stories/102...

12:18 AM CDT on Wednesday, October 24, 2007

[...]

"FAMILY UNFRIENDLY" IN THE NEXT ELECTION...- Hide quoted text -

I don't see this as a 'fault' of CPS. To say the adult women were
afraid of CPS is a cop-out.

Why were they afraid?
1. Because the boy had a knot on his head from 'hitting the floor'?
(why, when and how did that happen?)
2. Because the boy was left in a soiled diaper long enough to
fingerpaint the wall?
3. Because the boy was left alone in the bathtub, unsupervised?

Obviously the grandmother showed poor skills in chosing safety and
well being priorities, by leaving a child in a bathtub to attend
another that was 'crying' in the first place.

Then telling a 4-year old child to 'lie' was another show of
questionable integrity. It begs the question of whether the 4-year
old was really the one who turned on the water, or if grandmother was
'planting an idea' to cover herself.

Hands down, the grandmother was responsible for the burns happening.
(A question remains about the safety of the temperature setting on the
hot water heater (who set it, who might have changed it) and just how
'long' the boy was left with scalding water flowing over him.)

1. Treating the boy with an RX from another child is illegal.
2. It should have been obvious that if the first child had an RX for
home care of a minor burn, that the 20-month old boy's burns were more
extensive and more emergent.
3. How long after the initial burns did the RX they were using run
out?
4. Could they not determine that wounds which had not healed from
using "RX treatment", needed something more serious? Instead, they
stepped 'down' his treatment by using 'itch spray' and petroleum
jelly.

I'm sure they did not paint a clear picture for the pharmacist, or he/
she would surely have advised immediate medical attention.

Fear of CPS in this case glows with the adult's lack of integrity and
accountability. "Fear" was used as their excuse for their obvious
incompetency.

12:18 AM CDT on Wednesday, October 24, 2007

[...]

That other story about how caseworkers used
unconstitutional FEAR TACTICS to make people
cooperate has nothing to do with the
atmosphere of trust either!

12:18 AM CDT on Wednesday, October 24, 2007

[...]

I would no more excuse a case worker for instilling fear in clients than I
would a parent who didn't take their child to the doctor when they were
obviously in need of care! But that's not the point of this particular
thread.
Do you think it was appropriate for the caretakers of this child to neglect
to provide proper medical treatment??
Do you think that fear of CPS is a reasonable excuse for the death of this
child?

Old October 24th 07, 06:22 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
Greegor

G That other story about how caseworkers used
G unconstitutional FEAR TACTICS to make people
G cooperate has nothing to do with the
G atmosphere of trust either!

BW I would no more excuse a case worker for
BW instilling fear in clients than I would a
BW parent who didn't take their child to the
BW doctor when they were obviously in need
BW of care! But that's not the point of this
BW particular thread.

You want to discuss the Medical Neglect
but exclude the state of mind or motive?

BW Do you think it was appropriate for the
BW caretakers of this child to neglect
BW to provide proper medical treatment??

Nope.

BW Do you think that fear of CPS is a reasonable
BW excuse for the death of this child?

Excuse? Nope.
Explanation and exhibit of the level of
fear that people have of CPS? Yes.

Old October 24th 07, 06:57 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
Coleah

On Oct 24, 12:22 pm, Greegor wrote:
G That other story about how caseworkers used
G unconstitutional FEAR TACTICS to make people
G cooperate has nothing to do with the
G atmosphere of trust either!

BW I would no more excuse a case worker for
BW instilling fear in clients than I would a
BW parent who didn't take their child to the
BW doctor when they were obviously in need
BW of care! But that's not the point of this
BW particular thread.

You want to discuss the Medical Neglect
but exclude the state of mind or motive?

BW Do you think it was appropriate for the
BW caretakers of this child to neglect
BW to provide proper medical treatment??

Nope.

BW Do you think that fear of CPS is a reasonable
BW excuse for the death of this child?

Excuse? Nope.
Explanation and exhibit of the level of
fear that people have of CPS? Yes.

Fear of accountability is no excuse for lack of integrity, within the
realm of society's expectations.

(ie: drunk driver....afraid of being pulled over by Police and of
what they might 'do' to them if caught....punches the gas, overturns
the vehicle killing a passenger....and then fingers their 'fear' of
Police as the motive for their actions.....not the fact that they are
incompetent to drive to begin with, according to 'society's
expectations'. Competent drivers pull over to discover what they
might have done wrong, and add correction for the future.)

Old October 24th 07, 07:35 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
Greegor

G That other story about how caseworkers used
G unconstitutional FEAR TACTICS to make people
G cooperate has nothing to do with the
G atmosphere of trust either!

BW I would no more excuse a case worker for
BW instilling fear in clients than I would a
BW parent who didn't take their child to the
BW doctor when they were obviously in need
BW of care! But that's not the point of this
BW particular thread.

G You want to discuss the Medical Neglect
G but exclude the state of mind or motive?

BW Do you think it was appropriate for the
BW caretakers of this child to neglect
BW to provide proper medical treatment??

G Nope.

BW Do you think that fear of CPS is a reasonable
BW excuse for the death of this child?

G Excuse? Nope.
G Explanation and exhibit of the level of
G fear that people have of CPS? Yes.

C Fear of accountability is no excuse for
C lack of integrity, within the
C realm of society's expectations.

You think it's mere accountability they fear?

Is what CPS does what you call accountability?

Removal of children is more palpable, more
immediate, evoking a panic/fear reaction more like
if your foot is stuck in an angry badger's mouth.

It's much more about tangeables, not
some academic "societal expectations".

And if somebody thinks in academic
terms when interacting with CPS they
quickly learn that CPS and their investigations
are all about fear tactics, extortion and
knee jerk reactions, not logical discourse.

Old October 24th 07, 09:23 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
dragonsgirl

"Greegor" wrote in message
ups.com...
G That other story about how caseworkers used
G unconstitutional FEAR TACTICS to make people
G cooperate has nothing to do with the
G atmosphere of trust either!

BW I would no more excuse a case worker for
BW instilling fear in clients than I would a
BW parent who didn't take their child to the
BW doctor when they were obviously in need
BW of care! But that's not the point of this
BW particular thread.

You want to discuss the Medical Neglect
but exclude the state of mind or motive?

State of mind or motive?
My god, have you lost your mind Greg?
The child died of BURN WOUNDS.
Have you ANY idea what extent that child suffered before death?

BW Do you think it was appropriate for the
BW caretakers of this child to neglect
BW to provide proper medical treatment??

Nope.

BW Do you think that fear of CPS is a reasonable
BW excuse for the death of this child?

Excuse? Nope.
Explanation and exhibit of the level of
fear that people have of CPS? Yes.

You may call it what you like.
It is not an eexplanation, it is an EXCUSE.
As was pointed out, a four year old is turning on water in the tub.
Small children are in the house but the hot water heater is set to a high
enough temp to burn skin.
The child was treated at home for burns with a prescription for another
child's burns (oops, not one child has been burned in the home now, but
TWO).
The child was treated with itch medication and petroleum jelly.
Did you see any indication that there had been an investigation that would
give any credit to the family believing that the child would be taken from
them for seeking medical care?
Over THREE WEEKS time, these two 'parents' could not see that the child was
getting worse and needed care?

"I was told CPS would take my child and I would also get put in jail,"
Ms. Polk said in her statement. "I had been told this by friends and
family members."

Mr. Johnson told jurors that fear of CPS is common where the family
lived in Far East Dallas.

"Of course they were scared of CPS," he said. "In their part of town,
probably everyone is scared of CPS."

She was told by FRIENDS AND FAMILY.
And 'probably everyone is scared of CPS'.

Well, her friends and family led her down a nice rosey path that ended in
the death of her child.

Ok, so let's assume for just a second that her fear was so great that it
prevented her from seeking service.
Wouldn't it seem a bit ironic to you that the parent who claims such a fear,
so seriously afraid that the state would take her child and put her in jail,
seemed not a bit afraid of her child becoming so ill that she would have no
choice but to summons emergency response and then she'd lose her child
anyway, and still go to jail?

I call bull**** here.
It's a paltry excuse and nothing more.

Old October 24th 07, 10:40 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
Dan Sullivan

On Oct 24, 1:22 pm, Greegor wrote:
G That other story about how caseworkers used
G unconstitutional FEAR TACTICS to make people
G cooperate has nothing to do with the
G atmosphere of trust either!

BW I would no more excuse a case worker for
BW instilling fear in clients than I would a
BW parent who didn't take their child to the
BW doctor when they were obviously in need
BW of care! But that's not the point of this
BW particular thread.

You want to discuss the Medical Neglect
but exclude the state of mind or motive?

What does the state of mind have to do with allowing their child to
die an excruciating death?

Does someone not get a ticket for going thru a red light because they
weren't driving in the right state of mind?

BW Do you think it was appropriate for the
BW caretakers of this child to neglect
BW to provide proper medical treatment??

Nope.

BW Do you think that fear of CPS is a reasonable
BW excuse for the death of this child?

Excuse? Nope.
Explanation and exhibit of the level of
fear that people have of CPS? Yes.

Chances are their attny told them to blame the fact that they didn't
seek proper medical attention on their fear of CPS.