intro and question

Old September 19th 03, 12:58 AM
Amy M.

Default intro and question

Hi all...
I hope some of you remember me! I posted quite a bit when my last daughter was
still nursing (she's now almost 3yo) and I see quite a few familiar names from
mkp.

I'm Amy... sahm to 4 wonderful kids ... our son is 11, and we have 3 daughters
ages 8, almost 3 and 5 weeks. Dh and I have been married for a little over 12
years and we live in Indiana.

I nursed all of my children until they self weaned (which means I nursed
extendedly with one of my dd's You would think I would know how to solve
most breastfeeding dilemmas at this point, but this one has me stumped.

Halli has been very, very gassy over the last couple of weeks. Her poops have
slowed down (as expected) to every other day to every 3 days. The thing is
that her gas is incredibly stinky! I smells of sulfur! Then today when she
pooped it was very unusual ... it was foamy and thick and smelled awful! Not
at all like the poop of a breastfed baby!

In the past couple of weeks I have avoided dairy, caffeine, chocolate and
broccoli because of her gassiness and some excessive spitting up. The spitting
up seems better, but the gas is awful, and sometimes painful for her.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Is there something in my
diet that could be causing such stinky gas?

Thanks in advance!

--
Amy~
Tre' (6/92)

Old September 19th 03, 01:29 PM
Herself

Amy M. wrote:

Halli has been very, very gassy over the last couple of weeks. Her poops
have slowed down (as expected) to every other day to every 3 days. The
thing is that her gas is incredibly stinky! I smells of sulfur! Then
today when she pooped it was very unusual ... it was foamy and thick and
smelled awful! Not at all like the poop of a breastfed baby!

In the past couple of weeks I have avoided dairy, caffeine, chocolate and
broccoli because of her gassiness and some excessive spitting up. The
spitting up seems better, but the gas is awful, and sometimes painful for
her.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Is there something
in my diet that could be causing such stinky gas?

Hmmm..if you're dropping dairy (and really dropping it...), are you
using soy instead? And taking a calcium supplement? I've noticed (TMI
warning) that since I started doing soy and rice milk and taking calcium
that both I and P have gotten gassier and his poops are...looser. Not
foamy, but he's also older that Halli.

If that's not the case, try dropping egg as well (that's a really tough
one, egg's in everything!!). I was told egg is a big allergen.
--
Meself
mom to P, 23/12/01
Old September 20th 03, 06:42 AM
Alicia

Hi Amy, I'm no expert, being a new mum, but you may want to check out this
link that I found. It seemed to be a good way of getting some ideas about
what different poops mean. Good luck, Alicia
http://www.drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/poop.htm

intro and question emilymr Pregnancy 8 July 28th 04 08:55 PM
Intro, and Toddler/Daycare Question Betty Woolf General 4 December 3rd 03 03:25 PM
intro and question attachment parenting Alicia General (moderated) 24 October 17th 03 01:27 AM
intro and question Leann and Donald Breastfeeding 3 September 2nd 03 04:39 PM
Intro and a question Kereru Breastfeeding 8 July 23rd 03 11:29 AM