I'm In Favor Of Zero Tolerance ... But ...

Old December 5th 03, 06:45 PM
BroJack

Default I'm In Favor Of Zero Tolerance ... But ...

Getting expelled for having AdVil??!!

BroJack
____________

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/html/AE0F03BF-76FC-
4300-8564-695F1898F37C.shtml

Bossier School Board upholds Advil expulsion
Girl had over-the-counter pills in purse at school
Melody Brumble / The Times
Posted on December 5, 2003
A student expelled from Parkway High for a year for having Advil, an
over-the-counter pain reliever, will not be allowed to return to the
school.

Kelly Herpin and daughter Amanda Stiles, a sophomore, appealed the
one-year expulsion to a Bossier Parish School Board committee Thursday
night, spending about 10 minutes with the board's administrative
committee behind closed doors.

The committee and the full board voted unanimously to uphold an
administrative decision that Stiles be expelled to the alternative
school.

School boards hold such hearings in a closed session, but parents have
the right under state law to request that such sessions be open.
Herpin didn't make that request but did speak to reporters after the
hearing. She left before the board voted on her request but learned of
its decision by phone.

"I'm not really sure at this point what we'll do," Herpin said. "I'm
going to have to talk to my husband, and we're going to have to make
some plans. I'm not sure we could afford a private school. We've been
looking at moving to another area."

She would have to sue the School Board to continue fighting the
expulsion.

Superintendent Ken Kruithof said after the board meeting that the
school system is following a state law that requires a one-year
expulsion and being consistent in the system's "zero-tolerance"
policy.

But another school official said earlier Thursday that having
medication on campus doesn't automatically lead to a one-year
expulsion. "After an investigation and a hearing then, if necessary,
punishment is administered. It could be no punishment," said Betty
McCauley, Bossier schools student services director.

Disciplinary action can range from in-school suspension to placement
at the system's alternative school or expulsion from the system. From
Aug. 11 through Wednesday, 18 students were sent to the system's
alternative school because of possessing "pills," according to a
report system officials compiled. However, Kruithof said he didn't
know if the category covered nonprescription, prescription and illegal
drugs or only nonprescription drugs.

State guidelines define medication as "all prescription and
nonprescription drugs," McCauley said Thursday afternoon. McCauley
hears discipline appeals from parents dissatisfied with discipline
imposed by school principals.

McCauley declined comment after the hearing, referring questions to
Kruithof. So did District 11 board member Gary Dowden, who heads the
administrative committee.

Kruithof didn't respond directly to questions about McCauley's
statements but emphasized that state law requires a one-year
expulsion.

Herpin considers Stiles an "average student" in both grades and
behavior but said Stiles never got in serious enough trouble to
warrant an expulsion. Kruithof said Stiles had other disciplinary
incidents in the past but said he didn't know if they resulted in
suspensions.

The search of Stiles' purse that turned up the medication came after a
tip from a teacher about a student smoking at school. Herpin said her
daughter was part of a group that was searched in response to the tip.

Kruithof said a teacher identifed Stiles as the student smoking a
cigarette and that Stiles ran into a restroom, where a teacher
searched only her purse.

No cigarettes or lighters were found. Stiles was not disciplined for
tobacco-related violations.

Students caught smoking usually are suspended.

"I think a one-year expulsion for an over-the-counter medicine is
pretty severe," Herpin said.

Stiles said she carried the medicine in her purse because she got
frequent headaches.

"I just never thought about the fact that I could be searched. I think
we're old enough to know how many (pills) we can take without
overdosing or being in danger."

Old December 6th 03, 02:15 AM
Brian

Bob LeChevalier wrote:

(BroJack) wrote:
Getting expelled for having AdVil??!!

The law is the law.

lojbab

I read a longer version where someone was quoted saying that there
were different levels of punishment available.
However on the face of it, it does seem to make as much sense as the
kid suspended for making his finger to be a gun.
Old December 6th 03, 01:29 PM
BroJack

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 20:25:30 -0500, Bob LeChevalier
wrote:

(BroJack) wrote:
Getting expelled for having AdVil??!!

The law is the law.

They're apparently afraid of lawsuits. OD in class and sue the
school; get robbed at gunpoint and sue the gunmaker; if the thief gets
away, sue Nike for making running shoes conducive to speed; if the
perp bashes in your head with his fists, sue York Barbell Co. for
making him so strong.

But whatever you do, don't hold the person responsible for his
actions.

BroJack
Old December 6th 03, 04:36 PM
BroJack

wrote:

(BroJack) wrote:
Getting expelled for having AdVil??!!

The law is the law.

They're apparently afraid of lawsuits. OD in class and sue the
school; get robbed at gunpoint and sue the gunmaker; if the thief gets
away, sue Nike for making running shoes conducive to speed; if the
perp bashes in your head with his fists, sue York Barbell Co. for
making him so strong.

But whatever you do, don't hold the person responsible for his
actions.

It sounds like the kid IS being held responsible for having Advil at
school, which in that state is an illegal action.

I'd say the kid's being persecuted. If she snurfs the whole bottle
because Jim Bob broke off with her, so what? That's one less nutcake
in the world. Why sue the school?

BroJack
Old December 6th 03, 08:37 PM
greccogirl

I am NOT in favor of zero tolerance and this is why. Zero tolerance is
absurd in the extreme and should be dropped.

Old December 8th 03, 12:14 PM
creekchub

Why? Witch hunts are fun.

voodoo disease 666

Death to the christian military.

BroJack wrote:

[...]

Glucose Tolerance Test [email protected] Pregnancy 29 March 3rd 05 06:04 AM
Advice glucose tolerance test Kazh Pregnancy 22 January 16th 05 09:06 AM
Ooops... Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 2 October 2nd 04 04:09 AM
| Zero tolerance in schls-Zero at home Results from rigid enforcement Kane Spanking 1 December 5th 03 07:12 AM
Zero tolerance in schls-Zero at home Results from rigid enforcement Fern5827 Spanking 2 December 5th 03 01:15 AM