mother of illegitimate child wants my last name

Old March 8th 04, 10:24 AM
Ned Hart

Default mother of illegitimate child wants my last name

I made the mistake of getting someone pregnant.
Even though I did not want the child, she had it anyway.
I am not with the mother, but I give her money whenver I can, drive
her places such as the hospital or to buy things for the baby, and I
visit the baby regularly.
There are no official child support payments.
Now she is complaining that I did not give the child my last name.
I asked why she wanted the child to have my last name and among the
reasons she rattled off, (her family complaining, the child asking
questions when she gets older, etc...) she also mentioned legal
reasons.
I asked what legal reasons and she stayed quiet.

I want to give the child my last name but I am fearful I am being
manipulated.
Does giving the child my last name make it easier for her to collect
child support from me? I'm just trying to understand what her motives
might be.
Old March 8th 04, 10:47 AM
David Palomares

No.
If she decides to collect child support from you, your last name won't make
much difference. Most likely she is looking at the situation from the
"legitimizing" stand point. But if she does receive any kind of government
assistance you can expect to hear from your local government agency wanting
to establish paternity.

om...

Old March 8th 04, 01:42 PM
Dusty

Get your passport now and move to South America ASAP!! Before the draconian
tactics of GovCo. come gunnin' for you and take everything you own.

Rest assured that once she tacks your name onto the birth certificate or
some other ClubFed document(s), that you will be named the father and that's
when the fun (for them) starts and your new life as a criminal begins.

om...

Old March 8th 04, 04:53 PM
The DaveŠ

Ned Hart wrote:
Now she is complaining that I did not give the child my last name.

In most places, it's the mother that provides all information when the
birth certificate is filled out. They would have put down whatever she
told her. IOW: the kid not having your name is most likely her fault,
not yours.

Also, in most, if not all states, the parents can choose to name the
kid anything they want. If the mother's name is Jones and the father's
name is Smith, and they want the kid to be named Janofski, they can do
that.

--
A 'great idea' is one only when *YOU* think it is.