Taser Fiascos

Old December 16th 06, 08:06 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents
Greegor

Default Taser Fiascos

http://www1.kitsapsun.com/bsun/local...074940,00.html
Police Coax Man Down from Rooftop
By Kitsap Sun staff October 18, 2006 Bremerton

A Bremerton man who was accidentally shot by Kitsap County sheriff's
deputies in June had another encounter with law enforcement officers
Monday night after he climbed onto the roof of a home wearing nothing
but a T-shirt around his waist.

But this time the outcome was different.

Police "coaxed" the 32-year-old man from the roof of the Madrona Point
Drive home after talking with him for about a half hour, according to
the Bremerton officers' reports.

An officer responded to the home shortly after 6 p.m. as the homeowner
announced to him simply, "There's a guy on my roof," reports said.

Officers had been inundated with 911 calls about the man on the roof
for about an hour before they arrived.

The first officer on scene said the man appeared to "be on drugs" and
was wearing a "gray T-shirt he fashioned into a loincloth" and had
wrapped around his waist, reports said.

The man was familiar to officers as the same person accidentally shot
by Kitsap County sheriff's deputies in Navy Yard City back in June.

In the June incident, the man had climbed a tree and had reportedly
been talking to himself. Deputies came to the scene in an effort to
remove him from the tree, and one deputy mistakenly fired a gun rather
than a Taser to bring him down.

In Monday's episode, officers said they "coaxed" him from the roof,
and at one point, the man even said that "he didn't want to get shot
again," reports said.

After about a half hour, the man came down from the roof and officers
handcuffed him with Tasers drawn. He was taken to Harrison Medical
Center for an evaluation.

The homeowner declined to file any criminal charges, police said.

Veteran Kitsap County Washington Deputy Sheriff Mistakes His Pistol For
A Taser, Shoots Man In Tree Who Had Done Nothing To Anyone

2006-06-23

BREMERTON, WASHINGTON -- The Kitsap County Sheriff's Office has placed
a deputy on administrative leave after the deputy shot and wounded a
man in a tree with his gun instead of a Taser, the sheriff's office
said.

[They've failed to release this dumbass cop's name. Obviously, this
is going to cost Kitsap County a whole lot of money before it's over.
Anyone who has ever held a Glock and a Taser knows the feel is nowhere
near similar. ]

The deputy meant to fire the Taser and not his gun on Thursday, but
grabbed the wrong weapon, sheriff's office spokesman Scott Wilson told
the Kitsap Sun.

The deputy has been with the sheriff's office for five years.

Deputies carry both a Taser and a gun on their utility belts. The Taser
used is similar in shape to the .40-caliber compact model gun the
deputy used, Wilson said.

The Taser is a handheld weapon that delivers an electric shock via two
stainless steel barbs.

The man had been climbed high up a fig tree and had been there for
several hours.

The shooting is under investigation by State Patrol detectives, Wilson
said.

The man, believed to be in his 20s, was wounded in the leg and
airlifted to Seattle's Harborview Medical Center, where he was listed
in satisfactory condition.

Deputies and Bremerton Fire and Rescue personnel were called to the
site of the tree after an employee of a local business reported the man
had climbed the tree and was acting strangely. The man had been in the
tree and talking to himself when one employee arrived at work at 7:30
a.m.

Deputies and rescue personnel attempted to coax the man from the tree
for almost two hours before he was shot. During that time, the man was
becoming increasingly hostile toward rescue personnel and deputies
trying to get him out of the tree, witness David Blakeslee told the
newspaper.

Deputies were unsure whether the man was intoxicated, on drugs, or
possibly experiencing a psychotic episode. They wanted to get him down
before he hurt himself or others, Wilson said.

One deputy attempted to discharge a Taser at the man, but when it did
not work asked another deputy to fire a Taser. Instead of grabbing the
Taser, the deputy grabbed and fired the gun, Wilson said.

Blakeslee, an employee with nearby B&B Auto Repair, described the man's
reaction to getting shot.

"He said, 'Ow, that hurt, I'm coming down, I'm coming down,'" Blakeslee
said.
The man climbed down the tree on his own where medical personnel were
waiting, Blakeslee said.

Police Officers "Accidentally" Shoot Man In Tree - Moron Cop Couldn't
Tell The Difference Between A Taser And A Firearm

2006-06-22 KITSAP COUNTY, WASHINGTON. -- Officers responding to a
welfare check of a man in a tree in Kitsap County accidentally shot the
man in an attempt to use a Taser on him.

The man had been holed up in the tree for hours. An officer used his
Taser on the man and after it had no affect, the officer asked another
officer to Taser the man. The other officer accidentally used his gun
instead of his Taser and the man in the tree was shot.

The man sustained one gunshot wound and was taken to Harborview Medical
Center in Seattle.

Woman hit by Taser files suit: 32-year-old says she was in diabetic
shock when police officer shot her in her car

2006-05-08 REDMOND, WA - A former Microsoft worker says a Redmond
police lieutenant shot her with 50,000 volts of electricity from a
Taser gun while she sat helpless in her car, stricken by diabetic
shock. Leila Fuchs said police assumed she was drunk, but it was low
blood sugar that made her incoherent.

Either way, she said, she didn't deserve to be shocked by someone who
should have been trained to recognize her condition.

``I was so out of it. There was no way I could've been a threat to
anyone,'' said Fuchs, 32, who underwent a kidney transplant seven years
ago.

In his own report of the July 10 incident, Redmond police Lt. Charlie
Gorman said Fuchs did nothing more than sit silently behind her
steering wheel when he smashed the passenger-side window of her
Chrysler Sebring and shot her with an electric stun gun because she
refused to unlock her door.

Fuchs' attorney, James Egan, filed a civil lawsuit Friday in King
County Superior Court, naming Gorman as well as two other officers,
Redmond Police Chief Steve Harris and the city of Redmond.

The lawsuit seeks $1 million in damages for excessive force and
negligence.

In his report on the incident, which followed a fender-bender on 148th
Avenue Northeast near Old Redmond Road, Gorman wrote that officers
could smell alcohol coming from the inside of Fuchs' car, even though
the car's doors were locked and its windows rolled up.

Gorman said he identified himself and ordered Fuchs to unlock her door,
but she failed to respond and stared straight ahead. After issuing a
warning, the lieutenant used to tool to break the car's passenger-side
window. He then unlocked the passenger-side door and again ordered her
to unlock her driver-side door. But Fuchs just stared at him, he said.

``I produced my X-26 Taser and told her that if she did not comply with
my order to unlock her door that I was going to use my Taser on her,''
Gorman wrote in his report.

``She looked away from me without responding and stared straight ahead.
I shouted the Taser warning and deployed my Taser from a distance of
five feet. The female reacted by screaming and stiffening her body.''

The lawsuit says Gorman then forced Fuchs to the ground and placed her
in handcuffs. Minutes later, a follow-up police report says, fire
department personnel examined Fuchs at the scene and determined her
blood-sugar level was at 44, well below the normal level of 80-120.
They offered her 15 grams of glucose and two glucose drinks, and Fuchs
gradually became coherent.

A breath test shortly after the incident revealed no presence of
alcohol, according to Gorman's police report.

``The thing that really bothers me,'' Fuchs said Friday, ``is that the
police department was completely unresponsive to me after the incident.
.... They act like nothing happened.''

``I want the public to know that there is a complete lack of training
in the Redmond Police Department when it comes to medical issues like
diabetic hypoglycemic shock.''

Redmond police spokeswoman Stacey Holland said Thursday she could not
comment on the case involving Fuchs now that a civil lawsuit has been
filed. Calls to Gorman and Redmond City Attorney Jim Haney were not
returned Friday.

When she was at the hospital after being shocked with the Taser, Fuchs
said, an officer told her that Gorman used the Taser because he thought
she was drunk and she was ignoring his commands.

Court records show Fuchs has never been convicted of a crime or cited
for a driving infraction in Washington state. A Bellevue resident at
the time of the incident, she declined to reveal where she now lives
during a phone interview with the Journal.

Fuchs said she was on her way to her former job at Microsoft about noon
that Sunday when she apparently slipped into a hypoglycemic episode and
rear-ended another car at 10-15 mph on148th Avenue Northeast.

When asked by the first responding officer if she had had anything to
drink that day, Fuchs said no. It was the first time she had slipped
into a hypoglycemic episode since before she underwent a kidney
transplant in 1999, Fuchs said. She hasn't experienced another episode
since the July 10 incident.

Egan, Fuchs' attorney, said the physical force used by police was
unwarranted and could've caused her serious complications. One of the
Taser's electric probes entered her skin just a few inches from her
transplanted kidney.

Egan said the lawsuit seeks damages for excessive force and battery and
for negligence because the Redmond Police Department allegedly failed
to properly train and supervise their officers.

After the incident, Fuchs said she suffered ongoing pain at the entry
site of a second probe on her elbow, and she has been diagnosed with
post traumatic stress disorder. She said the incident has left her
unable to sleep without medication and fearful of police.

``I'm afraid that if I ever am in a medical emergency I wouldn't be
able to call the police department,'' she said.

Old December 16th 06, 12:06 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents
Dan Sullivan

Default ot

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old December 17th 06, 05:21 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents
0:->

Greegor wrote:
[...]

And you have never heard of misuse of CS spray, or a baton, or a firearm
by police officers?

Why focus solely on Tasers? They were never presented as a failsafe
cannot be misused LE tool, Greg.

Even hands and feet can be misused.

Consider in that last case had the officer used his CS or baton?

Suppose, as has happened, the lady, after appearing to refuse to respond
to the officer's commands, reached for her purse and pulled something
that resembled at first glance a mix of metallic shiny and dark metal
coloring? Heck, my cellphone looks that that in fact.

She had just rammed another car, remember?

She's at least alive to sue. Doesn't that make you happy?

Now YOU find an absolutely fool proof tool for law enforcement in such
situations and I'll find seed money and we can put it on the market. You
could make a lot of money honestly, instead of your way now.

Wouldn't you like that?

So, what have you got?

0:-

Old December 17th 06, 11:14 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents
joe

Try to stay on topic in ascps. Danno and I are here to insure that no
bad advice or off topic messages clutter our board.
Old December 18th 06, 11:35 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents
Greegor

Kane:
How did you like that story about the cop who pulled the wrong gun?
Are you still lobbying for the Taser industry?

Old December 18th 06, 11:39 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents
Dan Sullivan

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old December 18th 06, 11:48 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents
Greegor

Kane?

Old December 19th 06, 12:06 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents
Dan Sullivan

fog

Old December 19th 06, 12:44 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents
0:->

Greegor wrote:
Kane:
How did you like that story about the cop who pulled the wrong gun?
Are you still lobbying for the Taser industry?

Until I have solid evidence that Taser's are as or more dangerous as
guns given both are used as required by manufacturers and PD policy,
yes, I'll support the use of them.

So far the numbers of actual deaths from Taser use are, per use, very
low rate compared to what happens when a perp is hit by gunfire.

You have evidence otherwise?

I beg you, please share. If the facts prove me wrong, well then I'll
surely admit I'm wrong, and advocate for guns for all those
circumstances Taser was deployed and caused harm.

Would you prefer that?

Or possibly CS, or maybe a baton?

Do you have data on catastrophic events that resulted in injury or death
with those tools of the LE trade?

Most Taser RELATED deaths have turned out to be other conditions, like
OD on drugs, and they death would have occurred with or without Taser,
and most assuredly if other force had been used.

Cops can kill and injure with lots of things besides Taser, Greg, and
they do. Sometimes not deliberately, and in fact, it best not be
deliberately. The rule is, apply the level of force necessary to STOP
the perp.

If the perp doesn't stop, escalate either the amount, or move to a
higher level of instrument of force.

And no cop is required to keep his or her gun holstered even if the
threat action is NOT already underway.

Figure it out for yourself.

You are a lazy, stupid, good for nothing, do nothing piece of crap, that
constantly tries to second guess others that put their asses on the
line, Greg.

You can't even leave PARENTS involved with CPS alone but attack them as
well. Any excuse?

A disability perhaps?

Kane

Old December 19th 06, 01:30 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,alt.support.foster-parents
0:->

Greegor wrote:
Kane:
How did you like that story about the cop who pulled the wrong gun?

Gosh, Greg, excuse me. I've been hanging around you and Doan so long I
actually failed to answer your question, and I presume it was important
or you wouldn't have asked it, right?

My response? Bad Cop, no donut.

(lucky he didn't kill someone)

Are you still lobbying for the Taser industry?

Answered in prior post.

Kane