regarding Subject: OT DS cured me? ;-)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 10th 04, 10:42 PM
Vicki S

Default regarding Subject: OT DS cured me? ;-)

I am posting through google and your original post isn't there yet.
Thus the new subject line.

Dawn wrote:
I have PCOS. ... since his birthday, I have had regular cycles, and suspected
I was ovulating... I hope it means that the pregnancy with DS re-booted my
system... espcially thin PCOSers....anyone find the same (well, obviously Ms
Jen-full-of-Lily....*you* did ;-)

And not just Jen! I have PCOS too. I'm not really and truly thin,
but I'm not massively overweight and horribly acne prone, either,
thank heavens. I think, pre-pregnancy, I was about 10 to 15 pounds
over the top acceptable BMI for my height.

I used Clomid and dieting to get pregnant with DS. We'd been married
(and trying) for 3 years 9 months by then. When I wanted to get
pregnant again, I talked to my doctor and she had me see the
nutritionist. She put me on a diet and told me I'd be pregnant in 6
months, no drugs. About 5 months later, having pretty much forgotten
what she said, and being anxious for another baby, I went in for a
prescription for Clomid and (progesterone? whatever hormone they use
to get you to menstruate so you can take the Clomid).

I insisted that the doc give me a blood pregnancy test, just in case,
since both drugs would be very bad for the fetus if I was pregnant.
The doc thought I was being rediculous (shame on her) but it's a damn
good thing I insisted because I was a few days pregnant with DD. I
assume the drugs would have been the end of her if I'd taken them.

This time I completely and totally assumed I would need to diet again,
so I ate carelessly once I went off birth control -- thinking that I
would wait till the timing was exactly perfect for my long-term plans,
then diet, then get pregnant. And I got pregnant without even losing
weight. I was truly shocked. I have a little note on my 2004
calendar to start dieting in August. That's when I expect the baby
to be born. :-)

When I got pregnant with DD without drugs, I expressed surprise to my
midwife, but she was quite non-plussed. In her experience this sort
of "rebooting" or "cure" (or whatever you want to call it) is common.
So I think your odds of now ovulating normally - or much more normally
-- are probably quite good. However, I wouldn't assume that it means
your pancreas and your insulin and all that stuff are all working
properly. Maybe they are, but the health inplications of PCOS, as you
indicated you are well aware, are serious enough that I wouldn't take
ovulation as proof of a complete reversal. I'd still keep a really
active eye on it. Not that I am sure how to do that, actually.

--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995. Ima shel DS, born 11/16/99; DD, born at