Ages of Sitting In Seat With Just Belt

Old July 18th 04, 02:10 AM
valerie ramano

Default Ages of Sitting In Seat With Just Belt

I would be very interested in hearing from those out there about when your
child was allowed to sit in the car with just a seatbelt? What were their
ages and approx. weights/heights?

Right now my ds is 5.5 and still in a booster. But I can honestly tell you
there have been times he has been in a car (carpool for one) with just a
seatbelt (legal in my state). And quite honestly, I am not too certain how
much longer he will willingly stay in one. Especially now he is entering
elementary school.

Poll, parents?

Valerie

Old July 18th 04, 04:19 AM
julia

valerie ramano wrote:
I would be very interested in hearing from those out there about when your
child was allowed to sit in the car with just a seatbelt? What were their
ages and approx. weights/heights?

Right now my ds is 5.5 and still in a booster. But I can honestly tell you
there have been times he has been in a car (carpool for one) with just a
seatbelt (legal in my state). And quite honestly, I am not too certain how
much longer he will willingly stay in one. Especially now he is entering
elementary school.

Poll, parents?

Valerie

What is his height and weight? The age is not relevant at all.

Old July 18th 04, 07:51 AM
animzmirot

"valerie ramano" wrote in message
I would be very interested in hearing from those out there about when your
child was allowed to sit in the car with just a seatbelt? What were their
ages and approx. weights/heights?

Right now my ds is 5.5 and still in a booster. But I can honestly tell

you
there have been times he has been in a car (carpool for one) with just a
seatbelt (legal in my state). And quite honestly, I am not too certain

how
much longer he will willingly stay in one. Especially now he is entering
elementary school.

Poll, parents?

My twins were in second grade before they were allowed to sit without their
booster seats. At the time, this was legal in CA. I believe they were about
45 lbs but I have no clue anymore as to height.

Marjorie

Valerie

Old July 18th 04, 07:53 AM
animzmirot

"julia" wrote in message

valerie ramano wrote:
I would be very interested in hearing from those out there about when

your
child was allowed to sit in the car with just a seatbelt? What were

their
ages and approx. weights/heights?

Right now my ds is 5.5 and still in a booster. But I can honestly tell

you
there have been times he has been in a car (carpool for one) with just a
seatbelt (legal in my state). And quite honestly, I am not too certain

how
much longer he will willingly stay in one. Especially now he is

entering
elementary school.

Poll, parents?

Valerie

What is his height and weight? The age is not relevant at all.

Sure it is. We have a family friend with a daughter that is going into 7th
grade and is about 4'4" tall and maybe weighs 55 lbs, tops. She's got a
medical problem and she's not going to be growing much more than this.
Regardless of her size, she's just TOO OLD to sit in a car seat or booster
seat. She refuses and I don't blame her one bit. Can you imagine what it
would be like to be 12 years old, almost 13, and still in a booster seat.

For every situation, there are deviances. In this case, age is relevant.

Marjorie

Old July 18th 04, 12:56 PM
Clisby

valerie ramano wrote:
I would be very interested in hearing from those out there about when your
child was allowed to sit in the car with just a seatbelt? What were their
ages and approx. weights/heights?

Right now my ds is 5.5 and still in a booster. But I can honestly tell you
there have been times he has been in a car (carpool for one) with just a
seatbelt (legal in my state). And quite honestly, I am not too certain how
much longer he will willingly stay in one. Especially now he is entering
elementary school.

Poll, parents?

Valerie

My 8-year-old is still ni a booster seat (not required by state law).
She's 4'2" tall and 52 pounds. I'm expecting her to use it for at least
another year.

Clisby

Old July 18th 04, 02:44 PM
Rosenugga

When DD turned five last Feb we started fazing out her car seat (legal in my
state). We didn't stop completely because neighboring state (we live on the
border) was 6 years. I don't kow exact numbers at the time but she is now 45
inches and around 55 pounds. Recently our state changed the law to be 6years
old but they will not be enforcing (fining) it until the end of 2005. In most
vehicles she rides in a seatbelt only. In my Geo though she is in the
booster with a lap/shoulder belt. I just feel more comfortable that way and it
helps her see better.
Rose
Mamma to Caity Feb 13 1999 ( Daddy's best birthday present)

Old July 18th 04, 03:36 PM
valerie ramano

He is 44 inches and 43 lbs.

In NY you are allowed to be in the backseat of the car at 4 years old OR 40
lbs. So here, legally, age does matter.

Valerie

Old July 18th 04, 03:40 PM
valerie ramano

I would love it if this would be the norm for him, until age 8. Less
fighting with the younger 2 when they will be allowed to no longer. What do
you do about carpooling situations (when you are not driving?)

Old July 18th 04, 04:32 PM
LFortier

valerie ramano wrote:
I would be very interested in hearing from those out there about when your
child was allowed to sit in the car with just a seatbelt? What were their
ages and approx. weights/heights?

Right now my ds is 5.5 and still in a booster. But I can honestly tell you
there have been times he has been in a car (carpool for one) with just a
seatbelt (legal in my state). And quite honestly, I am not too certain how
much longer he will willingly stay in one. Especially now he is entering
elementary school.

Poll, parents?

Valerie

My girls (now 10.5 and 7.5) were allowed to give up their
booster at about 5.5, at a point when our state law only
required it until 4. Our state is about to pass a law with
an 8year/80lb requirement. (Look for my thread from last
month on new carseat laws.) I can tell you, that if the
requirement gets changed where you are, it will be far
easier to keep him in it than get him back in one.

Lesley

car seat placement? Karen General 11 February 18th 04 06:51 PM
Annoying car seat problem M. Tettnanger General 4 December 24th 03 04:44 PM
Need car seat recommendation AnnaS General 7 December 23rd 03 07:48 AM
Car Seat, Sale, Britax or Eddie Bauer? DougB General 16 September 30th 03 08:17 PM