Numb hands?

Old November 1st 08, 10:51 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kat

Default Numb hands?

Is this normal?
My hands seem to just go numb. I have no idea why and I've never had this
before. It's always when I wake up after sleeping, though. It's happened a
number of times in the last 2 or so weeks...
I'm just asking if it's something mainly because I woke up this morning when
the alarm went off - or I sort of woke up, enough to try and roll around to
turn the alarm clock off and bang... both hands were pins and needles like
they were sleeping. They just wouldn't move. It was from about my wrists
down on both hands.
No, I was not sleeping on my hands or arms - they were on top of me.
Then again this afternoon - I fell asleep on the couch. I woke up not long
ago and the same thing... My hands were numb, wouldn't move and were
"sleeping" again.
Up until today, I would guess this has happened only when I wake up in the
morning maybe every couple of days. Now it was twice in the same day.
It takes a few minutes for me to be able to get some feeling back in them,
then they're fine. Again, I'm definitely not sleeping on them to stop
circulation or anything like that.
Is this normal? Baby #5 and I believe I will be 27 weeks tomorrow and I've
never had this ever before (pregnant or not)

Old November 1st 08, 11:11 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

I loose feeling in my hands if I lay on my back with them on top of my body,
as you describe, for any length of time, and I'm not pregnant. I think it's
just a blood pressure issue. I don't think it's dangerous or indicative of
something else going on, but you can always check with your doctor.
--

Jamie Clark

www.ClarkDigitalArts.com

Old November 2nd 08, 12:16 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kat

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
I loose feeling in my hands if I lay on my back with them on top of my
body, as you describe, for any length of time, and I'm not pregnant. I
think it's just a blood pressure issue. I don't think it's dangerous or
indicative of something else going on, but you can always check with your
doctor.

Thanks.
I definitely don't have any blood pressure issues. It's not high or low,
and it never has been (pregnant or not)
I ended up calling the 24 hour health nurses and they asked a battery of
questions - and now that I was actually specifically asked, I do have other
random symptoms. I was told they don't seem to really be related, really,
but the nurse suggested to go get checked out because there's a number of
other things...
She said that if it was just one or two, it would probably be along the
lines of being normal in a pregnancy, but I don't seem to have just one or
two... I have the numb hands, yes, which I've never had before, but when she
went through all her usual questions to ask me, I realized there's other
things.
I do have the numb hands, I have shortness of breath (but no chest pains at
all) doing daily things - like going up and down the stairs, just walking, I
find I am out of breath and catching it for the next 3-4 minutes... I have
been having some major sleeping issues, and issues with energy. Some
blurred vision that takes probably about 15 mins to get back to what is
normal for me, headaches every now and then, just weird things that I
thought were fairly normal in pregnancy. But I also never thought to group
all "symptoms" together... I just figured lack of energy can be pregnancy
related (and very related to having younger children to run around after day
in and day out) and the catching my breath thing, I have read and heard all
over that this can be fairly normal as a baby grows and starts smooshing
around organs and all that and all those vital organs are forced to move...
Headaches I just put off to being thanks to not being able to sleep and just
being downright tired... I think the point is pretty much there.
So after all that, the health nurse said they recommend I go and get
assessed at the hospital. She told me that they recommend getting in within
3 hours (LOL - I just find that funny because I'm NOT dragging all the kids
to go and sit at the hospital. Unless it's life threatening, I just won't
do that. I'll stay home with the kids until something is life threatening
lol) and getting someone to watch the kids is NOT just a matter of making a
quick call to someone to come over or drop them off.
I have my dad who said he'd come if need be, but he doesn't really do
diapers very well, and in all honesty, I do think he would be very, very
overwhelmed with the kids, diapers aside!
I'm about to call a friend, but it's her birthday today and I don't know if
they have plans and kind of feel like a jerk for asking them (or thinking of
asking them) in the first place

--

Jamie Clark

www.ClarkDigitalArts.com

Old November 2nd 08, 12:33 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

sounds a bit like carpal tunnel syndrome, but a doctor would have to do
the right tests to be sure (they are just physical tests where they have
you hold your hands in particular postions and do certain things, not
fancy imaging etc).

It's not worrying in the sense of being harmful, but it can get worse
and be very painful and keep you awake at night. Bracing your wrists
either at night or all the time dependent on symptoms can be helpful.

When is your next appointment? I'd mention it as is useful to know
exactly what it is, but carpal tunnel syndrome is more common in
pregnancy and should go away afterwards, but like anything it's not
guaranteed.

I could be completely wrong on this one, but I have a vague idea that
certain mineral supplementations can be helpful, I'll try and find out.
Simple stretching of the wrists and hands is probably a good idea too.

Cheers
Anne
Old November 2nd 08, 12:51 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Jamie Clark wrote:
I loose feeling in my hands if I lay on my back with them on top of my body,
as you describe, for any length of time, and I'm not pregnant. I think it's
just a blood pressure issue. I don't think it's dangerous or indicative of
something else going on, but you can always check with your doctor.

I'm thinking what you describe is postural variation in blood flow,
which I suppose would result in different blood pressures if you had the
equipment to take it accurately for different blood vessels. Which
isn't at all the same as generally having high or low blood pressure,
though if it was related to blood pressure I'm pretty sure it would be
low rather than high, which is good news as low blood pressure isn't
worrying, though it can cause annoying symptoms.

What position do you sleep in at night Kat? The reason I suggested
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is because night time problems is an absolute
classic for that, as is onset in the 3rd trimester of pregnancy, due to
a tendancy to retain more fluid in tissue thus making less space for the
nerves as they travel through the wrist. Can you tell if it's a nervery
type thing, I've experienced that and the kind of tingling from posture
or blood pressure issues and there are differences to them, but they are
kind of hard to explain!

One test you can do is to hold your arm out in front of you and using
the other hand gently pull your hand back as far as it will go and then
hold and see what happens, if you induce numbness, then it's a flag for
carpal tunnel syndrome, I think a medical person would get into
specifics of exactly which fingers go numb and which parts of them, but
at least you would know it's a nerve thing, even though a professional
would probably determine it was one nerve over another rather than being
vague! If you determine that it is nerve related, then you have a route
for managing it, which is to see if there are any activities that
trigger it, along with wearing wrist braces at night. Because it's link
to pregnancy is due to the tendancy to retain fluids, you might want to
look at ways of trying to prevent that, the first thing being to make
sure you drink plenty or water.

Cheers
Anne
Old November 2nd 08, 09:01 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
[...]

You can get splints to wear if it's bad, which are meant to help.
Debbie

flapping hands Beliavsky General 25 April 10th 08 10:22 PM
Show of hands - GD? Mamma Mia Pregnancy 10 October 15th 04 02:51 AM
My hip/leg goes numb! Jill Pregnancy 1 February 9th 04 02:52 PM
Rash on Hands Mark Cimoli Pregnancy 6 October 17th 03 11:50 AM
numb... parker Pregnancy 11 July 12th 03 05:30 PM