bedwetting - 12 yo

Old April 19th 04, 12:07 PM
LeRoy

Default bedwetting - 12 yo

Hi all -

This is a hard subject especially for my son, who has "always" had periodic
bouts of bedwetting - dry for weeks/ months, then wet for a couple of days.

It causes him loads of upset around camp/ school trips/ stay overs etc.

He was dry when prescribed some medication from the doctor, but we're not
keen on it being a long term solution. Have tried alarms, waking him to go
to the loo etc etc.

Don't know if relevant, but he also almost sleepwalks on occasion and gets
night frights.

He's a lively, happy, active 12 yo with no health problems. He can sometimes
be anxious about friends etc (normal, I think, if I recall my almost teen
years). He is articulate and cheerful.

Any ideas welcome!

Pat

Old April 20th 04, 01:02 AM
dragonlady

In article ,
"LeRoy" wrote:

Hi all -

This is a hard subject especially for my son, who has "always" had periodic
bouts of bedwetting - dry for weeks/ months, then wet for a couple of days.

It causes him loads of upset around camp/ school trips/ stay overs etc.

He was dry when prescribed some medication from the doctor, but we're not
keen on it being a long term solution. Have tried alarms, waking him to go
to the loo etc etc.

Don't know if relevant, but he also almost sleepwalks on occasion and gets
night frights.

He's a lively, happy, active 12 yo with no health problems. He can sometimes
be anxious about friends etc (normal, I think, if I recall my almost teen
years). He is articulate and cheerful.

Any ideas welcome!

Pat

No suggestions, except that at this age, my son always wore Depends
while at sleepovers or camping trips, to avoid wetting someone else's
bed.

He was 14 before he was consistently dry through the night. There were
no medical problems -- it's just that some percentage of kids are not
capable of staying dry through the night until they are into puberty.
We, also, tried all kinds of things -- and settled on just waiting. The
biggest problem is that this isn't talked about much, so kids with this
issue end up feeling very, very alone.

My only advice is to not sweat it -- assuming that the doctor says there
are no medical problems, he WILL outgrow it in his own time.

meh

Old April 21st 04, 07:35 PM
LeRoy

No suggestions, except that at this age, my son always wore Depends
while at sleepovers or camping trips, to avoid wetting someone else's
bed.

He was 14 before he was consistently dry through the night. There were
no medical problems -- it's just that some percentage of kids are not
capable of staying dry through the night until they are into puberty.
We, also, tried all kinds of things -- and settled on just waiting. The
biggest problem is that this isn't talked about much, so kids with this
issue end up feeling very, very alone.

My only advice is to not sweat it -- assuming that the doctor says there
are no medical problems, he WILL outgrow it in his own time.

Cheers Dragonlady!

It's cheering to hear from others - we'll continue to encourage and
support - he's doing great in all other areas.

Where did you hear the adolescence/ stopping fact from?

Pat

Old April 22nd 04, 12:44 AM
dragonlady

In article ,
"LeRoy" wrote:

[...]

Don't remember -- I did do some research when he was about 10, and read
that, with the exception of people who are determined to have a medical
problem of some sort, most everyone develops the ability to stay dry
through the night by the end of puberty. As I have talked about this
issue with others, I have heard of one person who was 18 before he was
dry through the night, and a small handful who were between 15 and 17.
I don't remember the percentages any more, but I DO remember being
stunned at the HIGH percentage who are not dry at the age of 8, since
most parents of kids that age get REALLY stressed if their kids are
still night wetters.

meh