VERY dissapointed in Boston Globe

Old February 3rd 04, 02:25 PM
Shannon

Default VERY dissapointed in Boston Globe

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/healt...s_it_worth_it/

I usually enjoy Dr. Sanghavi's writing, but was extremely dissapointed by
this. I'm composing a letter to the editor, but it probably won't be
published as it will be too long. He completely ignored the
environmental/economic impacts of the formula industry, as well as the
damaging effects of formula distribution in third-world countries. Grrrr.

Any resources that I can include in my letter?

-Shannon

Old February 3rd 04, 03:54 PM
Clisby

Shannon wrote:
http://www.boston.com/yourlife/healt...s_it_worth_it/

I usually enjoy Dr. Sanghavi's writing, but was extremely dissapointed by
this. I'm composing a letter to the editor, but it probably won't be
published as it will be too long. He completely ignored the
environmental/economic impacts of the formula industry, as well as the
damaging effects of formula distribution in third-world countries. Grrrr.

Why would either of those be pertinent to the points he makes in the
article?

Clisby

Old February 3rd 04, 03:58 PM
Marnie

"Shannon" wrote in message

I usually enjoy Dr. Sanghavi's writing, but was extremely dissapointed by
this.

Strange that *BF* is suddenly the panacea. And odd that breastfeeding is now
competitive. Never thought of it that way.

It's a curious commentary. I'm understanding it like this:

I know it's the best but it was too hard for us so here's why it's not so
great after all.

He's a bit defensive, perhaps? However, I appreciate his respect for his
wife in this regard. He's being supportive. This is their reality, after
all.

I've had my share of BF hell. But I believe in the benefits, even if the
*only* benefit is bonding. And as long as there is a chance that my family
can accrue any of those other benefits, it's worth it. That's my reality.

I'm so unclear as to the guilt thing. If it's the right choice for you,
where does guilt come in, and who is making you feel guilty? I see more of
"it's OK not to" than "you must." And as for his "suspicions," I am
completely dogmatic about breastfeeding, but only when it comes to my own
kids.
--
Marnie
DD1 BF for 30 months

Old February 3rd 04, 04:20 PM
Nikki

Shannon wrote:

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/healt...2/03/sure_brea
st_is_best_but_is_it_worth_it/

I usually enjoy Dr. Sanghavi's writing, but was extremely
dissapointed by this. I'm composing a letter to the editor, but it
probably won't be published as it will be too long. He completely
ignored the environmental/economic impacts of the formula industry,
as well as the damaging effects of formula distribution in
third-world countries. Grrrr.

Any resources that I can include in my letter?

-Shannon

I'm sure I'll be in the minority here (maybe the only one!) but I didn't see
anything wrong with it. He didn't go in depth about formula because that
isn't what the article was about. I'm assuming the facts and numbers he
used were correct. I actually thought it was a decent article.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old February 3rd 04, 04:44 PM

Shannon wrote:
http://www.boston.com/yourlife/healt...s_it_worth_it/

I usually enjoy Dr. Sanghavi's writing, but was extremely dissapointed by
this. I'm composing a letter to the editor, but it probably won't be
published as it will be too long. He completely ignored the
environmental/economic impacts of the formula industry, as well as the
damaging effects of formula distribution in third-world countries. Grrrr.

Any resources that I can include in my letter?

I'm sure he probably has access to all the resources - he is a doctor
after all. It sounds to me like he's trying to justify their decision
because he's feeling a bit guilty. He has the 'my baby was formula fed
and he's okay' mentality and nothing is going to change that.

He also didn't address the emotional and psychological benefits or the
health benefits to the mother. One of the greatest benefits, IMO, is the
fact that it forces you to slow down and have 'quality time' with your
baby.

Manda

Old February 3rd 04, 04:57 PM
Shannon

Good point!

My major problem was that he had the typical attitude of, well, we tried but
it didn't work out and formula's okay anyway. Formula isn't really okay.
And most doctors *don't* pressure women to breastfeed - they tout the same
party line that Dr. Sanghavi does. And American culture certainly does not
pressure women to breastfeed - we make it rather difficult for them.
Otherwise, our BF stats at birth would be a lot higher and they would remain
high for the first year, rather than dropping to 30 or 22 percent at 4
months, depending on your source.

I take issue with the example he raised of the breastfed dehydrated baby
dying, without mentioning any FF babies dying from formula that was either
contaminated or mixed with contaminated water. One highly publicized case
does not a trend make.

The whole article (although well researched, and certainly well written)
rubbed me as just another rationalization for using formula instead of
nursing. Darn it, human milk is the biological norm for human babies!

Just my $.02 - I wouldn't have posted the link if I didn't want discussion!

-Shannon

Old February 3rd 04, 05:20 PM
zeldabee

Shannon was all, like:
Good point!

My major problem was that he had the typical attitude of, well, we
tried but it didn't work out and formula's okay anyway. Formula
isn't really okay. And most doctors *don't* pressure women to
breastfeed - they tout the same party line that Dr. Sanghavi does.
And American culture certainly does not pressure women to breastfeed
- we make it rather difficult for them.

It's seen as a lifestyle choice on a par with, oh, I don't know, whether or
not you play golf. Lip service to "breast is best," but as you said,
formula's ok anyway.

I take issue with the example he raised of the breastfed dehydrated
baby dying, without mentioning any FF babies dying from formula that
was either contaminated or mixed with contaminated water. One highly
publicized case does not a trend make.

Besides the fact that that young woman was a teenager, and had *no* support.
How they ever missed the whole breast reduction thing (at the hospital where
she gave birth) is beyond me. That case was just bizarre (and
heartbreaking).

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old February 4th 04, 03:11 PM
Leslie

Did I miss an announcement? Congratulations, Marnie!

Leslie
Old February 4th 04, 04:13 PM
Marnie

"Leslie" wrote in message
Did I miss an announcement? Congratulations, Marnie!

Thanks! I'm starting my acidophilus NOW.
--
Marnie
#3 edd 8/20/04

Old February 4th 04, 06:22 PM
Leslie

Thanks! I'm starting my acidophilus NOW.

It's good to plan ahead! Here's hoping you don't need it.

Leslie