Scheduled nap time for infants

Old April 27th 04, 05:05 PM
The Huwe Family

Default Scheduled nap time for infants (Update)

Well, I decided to give it a go, beginning yesterday. While it certainly
wasn't perfect, it worked!!!! I had a good 1 3/4 hour of "mom" time. While
I only got in one planned nap yesterday, I knew it was off to a great
beginning, so I tried it again today.

this is my "plan"

up at 7:00

1st nap at 10ish
up at 12

2nd nap at 3
up at 5

to bed at 8
with eating in-between.

I'm not sure about the times in-between. Today they woke up at 6:00 and
Elena was asleep by 8:15. I put the boys down at 9. They are waking up now
(at 11). I've actually heard them for the last 15 mi nutes or so
talking/singing, but they weren't crying so I thought I would stick to my
guns about the 2 hour nap.

I think this will also make it so much easier on me to feed them. The
doctor want's me to feed them solids 3x a day in addition to their bottle.
Up until now I haven't found the time to feed them solids more than 2x. I
think with them being more regimented, I'll be able to give them an
additional solid around 5. Cross your fingers and we'll see how it goes.

Thank you, thank you for all of the advice and encouragement. I'll let you
know how it goes.

Gayle
"The Huwe Family" wrote in message
Actually, I only have one that occasionally sleeps until 9. Andy, my

first
born, wakes up usually by 6, but sometimes at 5, 4, or even 1 am. (today

it
was 5:00) The other two usually get up around 7. We try to get them to

bed
between 7:30 -8 pm. We've tried later times hoping that Andy would sleep
later, but it hasn't worked. He must have his internal clock set early.

When it's around time for their first nap, I put one down, get the second
one down, but by the time I get the third one down, the first one is up.
Would you then, keep them all in their beds until an hour had gone by?
Also, would you put them to bed even if they were not asleep or almost
asleep?

Gayle

"Ellen Kmetz" wrote in message
If it's possible, do you have any suggestions on how to accomplish

this?
Or
is it not worth it until they are older?

Hi Gayle,

My boys were on a nap schedule at 5 months. I certainly don't thinks

yours are
too young, but all babies are different. A good "guideline" is 10 am

and
2 pm
for naps. Of course if they are not waking up until 9 that won't work.

What
time do they go to bed at night? Maybe you can get them up earlier in

the
morning so they are tired around 10. I really believe in strict

sleeping
schedules, especially with multiples. They should be waking, napping

and
going
to bed at the same times every day. I guess that's easy for me to

say...God
knows it has to be SO much harder with three than two, but I really

believe
that babies will adapt to the sleep schedule that *you* dictate. And it

will
keep you sane knowing that you have a few hours every day when they are

all
sleeping (or whatever the duration is). It might take a week or so to

get
them
all in sync, but it'll be worth it if it works.

Good luck!

Ellen
--------
Erin 6/26/95
Bradley & Alex 10/5/00

Old April 27th 04, 05:08 PM
The Huwe Family

Default Scheduled nap time for infants

Andy, who usually doesn't sleep after 5:00 am. is a noisy boy. Talking,
cooing, singing, and sometimes crying.
Elena, who takes short naps, is usually pretty quiet. She will lie there
and play with her feet or something. Occasionally I'll hear her quietly
talking.

But, I've decided that they will have to get used to the sounds. They fall
asleep on the floor while another sibling is crying, so I'm sure they can do
the same in bed.

We have a very small place, so I'm not sure if I could put them into
different rooms. But it's a good idea.

I've started them on a schedule and so far they are doing good. (see my
other posting.)

Thank you for your advice. It is REALLY appreciated.

Gayle
"multimom4" wrote in message
If you find that getting them up at the same time, putting them down

closer
together, the shortest napper going down last, and all three awake when

you
do it does not seem to work, then you might look into a couple of cheap

pack
n plays to separate them for naps. Garage sales? Multiples clubs?

Borrow
one from a friend who isn't using it right now? For us, from an early age
putting them all down to nap together in one room was *impossible*, so the
investment in 2 pack n plays was well worth it (one went in the spare

room,
the other in our room).

One other thought -- your early riser. Does s/he disturb the others?

Does
s/he scream? We had one who would wake at 4am in the summer (at about 8
months on) -- singing and talking to himself til he drove the other two
awake and screaming. We moved his crib into another room and found to our
shock that on his own he would just chat for an hour and then fall asleep
again til 7 with no intervention from us -- and obviously didn't disturb

the
others.

Might be worth trying.

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

"The Huwe Family" wrote in message
.. .
"Do you spend a lot of time rocking them until they are asleep or

something?
"

I guess I am. I don't always. If I take too long with one, another one
might fall asleep on the floor. I think I am just so worried that an

awake
baby will wake the other ones up. For example, when Andy get's tired,

he
is
really cranky. We have put him down for a nap, and he will cry at the

top
of his lungs for 1/2 hr. I couldn't put the other two down with that.

The
only other option is to put him in a different room, and we are not set

up
for something like that. We usually hold one until they are asleep or
almost asleep.

I would love to be able to just put them down in their crib and they lay
down and go to sleep. Maybe it's just being an inexperienced parent.

I'm
afraid it would backfire.

"Missy in Indiana" wrote in message
I put one down, get the second
one down, but by the time I get the third one down, the first one is

up.

I don't understand this. Do you spend a lot of time rocking them

until
they
are asleep or something? I would just wait until they were somewhat

tired
and
lay them both down at the exact same time. I'd rub their backs if

(when)
they
began crying. I've heard a lot of positive (and I mean a lot) about

Ferber's
book. I personally didn't read it, but everything I've heard about

his
techniques seem identical to what we did from recommendations of

nurses
and
other parents. It may not be for you, but it also might be just what

you
are
looking for.

Missy in Indiana http://hometown.aol.com/mhrust/overviewforng.html
Morgan Olivia & Julia Lucille 4/28/01 (YAY!)

Old April 27th 04, 06:22 PM
Ellen Kmetz

Gayle,

It sounds like you are off to a great start. Really great, in fact, for only
the second day! I hope they continue to adjust to the schedule. Good luck and
do keep us posted.

Ellen
--------
Erin 6/26/95
Bradley & Alex 10/5/00

Old April 27th 04, 08:06 PM
Missy in Indiana

YAY! I hope it keeps getting better for you! Your schedule sounds mirrored to
mine when the girls were a bit older than 7mos. (Mind didn't "nap" much as
infants, but slept longer at night...go figure).

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!