Spring break vacation - update

Old February 19th 04, 09:04 PM
lizzard woman

Default Spring break vacation - update

Hi.

I wanted to thank everyone who chimed in on ideas for a family vacation
during Spring Break.

We decided on Maui.

Next question....

Would it likely be cheaper if I book online (which site) or if I toddle into
a travel agency?

Thanks again.

--
sharon

"You don't seem immune to the "touchy feely" aspects of horse
ownership...on your website you can be seen embracing your inner
"Howdy Doody". -- Phil M.
"Feel free to use a pie chart in your explanation." -- Phil M.

Old February 19th 04, 10:41 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

"lizzard woman" wrote:

I wanted to thank everyone who chimed in on ideas for a family vacation
during Spring Break.

We decided on Maui.

Next question....

Would it likely be cheaper if I book online (which site) or if I toddle into
a travel agency?

If you book it yourself it will be more trouble and less 'seamless'.
However because airlines have been cutting costs, travel agents can no
longer offer their services free. So unless you have a relationship
already with a travel agent, it will likely cost more to get tickets
through them. A good travel agent should be able to get the tickets
by asking the right questions and configuring the vacation in such a
way that their fee counterbalanced by the cheaper tickets that you
get. So it depends on the travel agent and also a bit on how flexible
you can be.

If I were doing it and if I didn't have a daughter who was a pilot for
the airline, I would figure out what airlines go from Calgary to
Hawaii, and then call them to find out the fares rather than go
on-line.

If you were going to bid at one of those sites on line (which I did
for a trip to England), I figured the lowest price I could get, and
then deducted 30% from that and bid that price. (That's because I
know that 20% of the ticket is profit (because my daughter can get me
tickets 20% off any fare), and the extra 10% is to account for the
taxes and fees that they add onto the fare afterwards. Even then it
isn't always such a good deal.

grandma Rosalie
Old February 19th 04, 10:44 PM
just me

"lizzard woman" wrote in message
Hi.

I wanted to thank everyone who chimed in on ideas for a family vacation
during Spring Break.

We decided on Maui.

Next question....

Would it likely be cheaper if I book online (which site) or if I toddle

into
a travel agency?

Thanks again.

Cool! Have a great time! As to booking: our local tv news did a thing on
cheapest air fare rates and how they were obtained, just last evening. The
cheapest air fare they found *for a particular flight* out of Orlando was
made via a travel agent. Another one was made the day *before* the flight
on line. So, my thought would be to hedge bets and research all
possibilities.

last night's news story and related stuff on the web site:
http://www.wesh.com/index.html scroll down about half way, look on right
column for "Latest Videos" and "learn how to get good airline rates".

Have a grand time!

-Aula

Old February 19th 04, 10:57 PM
lizzard woman

"Rosalie B." wrote in message

Thanks, Rosalie.

--
sharon, momma to savannah and willow (11/11/94)

Old February 19th 04, 10:58 PM
lizzard woman

"just me" wrote in message

Thanks, Aula.

--
sharon, momma to savannah and willow (11/11/94)

Old February 20th 04, 01:35 AM
cara

lizzard woman wrote:

Hi.

I wanted to thank everyone who chimed in on ideas for a family vacation
during Spring Break.

We decided on Maui.

Next question....

Would it likely be cheaper if I book online (which site) or if I toddle into
a travel agency?

Thanks again.

I'm not sure where you'd fly out of, somewhere in Canada IIRC, but try Hawaiian
Airlines, www.hawaiianair.com, right now they are having some really low fares
out of West Coast cities, and of course are very reputable. Other online sites
that sometimes have good deals are www.cheaptickets.com, www.expedia.com,
www.travelocity.com, www.orbitz.com. A little research can save you
considerable $ on fares.

If you wanted to try it out, there is a travel agency in Honolulu that always
has excellent fares, and a good reputation, they often buy bulk seats from major
airlines and sell at a good discount from anything you'd find online - I've
booked through them on several occasions, just mention that you are calling from
out of state. Their local phone number is (808) 946-9466, or
. One other good local company you could try is
Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays, I know they fly out of west coast cities, but not
sure if they can book you all the way from canada. Their number is
800-654-4386.

Happy fare hunting - its fun when you can find a good deal. You guys will have a
great time in Maui!

cara

Old February 20th 04, 02:12 AM
just me

"lizzard woman" wrote in message

"just me" wrote in message

Thanks, Aula.

hope it helps!

Old February 20th 04, 04:15 AM
George Orwell

We decided on Maui.

Did Maui have any say in the matter?

Next question....

Would it likely be cheaper if I book online (which site) or if I
toddle into a travel agency?

If you toddle, you will be laughed at. Try walking, like normal adults do.