Sign language for tots

Old September 25th 04, 06:23 AM
Digital Larry

Default Sign language for tots

Some friends got us this book/video "Sign with your Baby" (or something
like that), and having had some experience using sign language at a deaf
&/or blind summer camp I worked at when 16, I thought it was a good idea.

We started with "milk" but we weren't consistent, and I think the main
thing that kept it from catching on was that their nanny didn't do it, and
she's the one they spend more waking time with (sigh). Reed started using
the "milk" sign, but he often used it right after having some milk, so it
didn't necessarily mean he WANTED it.

Nevertheless, they both did learn the sign for "bath", and Martin seems to
have learned the sign for "change" as in diaper, and Reed very definitely
uses the sign for "bird" when he hears or sees one.

Now they're almost 15 months old and are starting to peep a few words out,
like "car" and "cat" and "go". Interestingly, a few months ago they were
both almost saying "bird" when they first started seeing a lot of them
outside the windows, but they haven't done that recently. Martin went back
to "guh" for bird, though at one point it was "buhr".

I think it's pretty amazing that it works at all, since giving the sign for
"bath" says much more than they are capable of verbalizing. It wasn't a
total success but it IS nice to get some feedback from little ones. I'm
glad we did it.

Anyone else?
Old September 25th 04, 08:00 PM
Jonathan Wolgamuth

In message 9.11 on 25
Sep 2004, Digital Larry said to all at alt.parenting.twins-triplets

[...]

Mine are about the same age as yours (16 months today) and we've been
teaching them sign since we realized they would pick it up. Right now,
they have "eat", "more", "milk", "up", "please", "finished", and
"geography". Okay, I'm kidding about the last one, but the rest they
have pretty good. Ella likes to blow kisses, so we figure "thank you"
isn't far off for her.

It's a lot of fun--we're pretty solid with the signing since my DW's
parents are both deaf. I guess its more than just a "nice to have" for
us for that reason. It's also a lot of fun!

--

Jonathan Wolgamuth jonwolgamuth at emailaccount dot com

"If you're not part of the solution, you're not alone."
Old September 30th 04, 01:48 AM
Andrea

I started teaching the girls a few signs when they were around 7 months old.
They picked up on them quickly. They would sign for "more" and "all done".

One day I was changing Madison's diaper and she was babbling at me. I was
telling her "Really? I didn't know that. Tell me more." She looked up at me and
gave the sign for "more". I about fell on the floor laughing.

Andrea
twin girls-Madison & Jordan
4 yrs. old

Old October 1st 04, 04:44 AM
mt

Yes, we did it for ouw twins. Another book recomended it. They're three
years old now, and still do the hand signal for "please" when they say the
word.

Old October 15th 04, 02:28 AM
Jake Mysterio

We use makaton signs for our twins now 2 1/2 mainly as my son has an autism
spectrum disorder. They know about 50-70 signs now but we started with
milk, more, finished, all gone, mummy and daddy. The earlier they start the
more they will take in. It should be noted however that the signs that you
use for babies / tots is called makaton and although it is designed by the
same company who rights the deaf sign it is unrelated. The deaf signs are
totally different. Makaton is highly used for babies/toddlers and for
children/adults with a disability. Deaf community would not use makaton
unless they had a disability as well that would prevent them from learning
the complexities of deaf sign. Makaton is regularly used on blues clues so
if you want your kids to learn this is a great kids show to start with!

Cheri
Mummy to Jasmine and Sean born 17/4/02

Old October 16th 04, 09:26 PM
Andrea

I'm glad you posted this. We taught our girls some of the signs when they were
babies and I have noticed "Steve" using them on Blue's Clues, which I thought
was pretty cool. I never knew the difference between the signs for tots and
regular sign language though. Thanks for sharing.

Andrea
twin girls-Jordan & Madiosn
4 yrs. old

Baby sign language? zolw Pregnancy 6 April 10th 04 05:39 AM
"Sign language helps toddlers communicate" Mike Pregnancy 0 October 21st 03 08:40 PM
| The Plant answer DNA swab Question Kane Foster Parents 10 October 4th 03 04:22 AM
Mental Math Dependant On Language, Researchers Find Jamsportland General 0 September 7th 03 07:38 PM