USA source of monovalent MMR equivalents??

Old July 15th 03, 10:05 PM
Elana

Default USA source of monovalent MMR equivalents??

Richard wrote:

Can anyone give a source of monovalent vaccines (one per injection)
for measles, mumps, and rubella in the USA or Canada?

Our health center was able to order a single vax for rubella for us, but
I haven't been able to get one for mumps or measles. We go the MeruVax
II for rubella.

Old July 17th 03, 12:17 AM
Karen

DS is now 3 and just had his first MMR a few eeks ago. Our family dr was
trying to get the individual vaccines for a year and was never able to.
We took ds to a pediatrician for his 3 yr check-up and they also checked
into the individual vaccines for us and found out that only the Rubella
is available separately (because they need it to give to adult women as
per the pregnancy issues w/ rubella), and the company which manufactured
the separate vaccines is not making them any more, so only the
combination is available. That's what the ped said. So we went ahead and
got the MMR, but only the MMR and have no reactions to report.

-Karen, mom to Henry-

Old July 17th 03, 02:32 AM
==Daye==

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:17:56 EDT, Karen
wrote:

Our family dr was
trying to get the individual vaccines for a year and was never able to.

My family doctor was not able to get separate vaccines either.
He called the national vaccine register (or something like that)
and the manufacturer of the vaccines. Nothing. They just don't
make them anymore.

FWIW, this was in Victoria, Australia.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

Old July 17th 03, 08:27 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article , Richard wrote:
Thanks, Karen. At least we (just barely) escaped the new
combined five-component pertussis-diphtheria-tetanus-inactivated
poliomyelitis-Haemophilus b conjugate vaccine.

I'll probably be sorry I asked, but what is the advantage of / obsession
with uncombined vaccines? The above combination represented 3 jabs for
my kids, and I'm sure *they* would have preferred a single shot. They had
them all at the same time anyhow, so in our case it would have been just
less pain, unless there is some disadvantage to mixing them in one shot
that goes beyond having to get them all at once. I presume there is
some theory that it is safer to get them in separate jabs, possibly at
separate times? Is there any research to support this? We're done with
vaccinations for a couple of years now, so this is mostly just curiosity.

Thanks,
--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)

Old July 17th 03, 09:57 PM
==Daye==

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:55:02 EDT, Richard
wrote:

At least we (just barely) escaped the new
combined five-component pertussis-diphtheria-tetanus-inactivated
poliomyelitis-Haemophilus b conjugate vaccine.

That is the scariest vaccine I have ever heard of! Where on
earth do they give that and at what ages?

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

Old July 17th 03, 11:22 PM
Karen

Our own personal reasoning, based more on what seems common sense to us
and the fact that there are autoimmune issues in my family tree than on
necessarily anything that we've read,is that bombarding a still
developing immune system (some reading suggests the immune system isn't
mature until around age 5) with so many doses all at once of foreign
stuff for the body to figure out what to do with is unwise.

In our particular situation, we are concerned about a body which may
have genetic markers for autoimmune diseases being triggered into an
autoimmune reaction by a huge dose of vaccines. My thoughts on this are
based on my mother-gut-instinct and a general cynical and suspicious
view of any established ideas on anything, my husband's view on this
comes from having a background in science, incuding his undergraduate
degree in meolecular biology from a pretty major school for such things.

Personally, I don't care how many extra trips to the doctor's office we
have to make, and ds has always been nursed through every shot so he
really has no issues with shots. We are doing selective vax, so he
hasn't had quite as many shots anyway. I don't like this coersion into
getting medical treatment you don't want simply because individual doses
of the vaxs are no longer available. Ds would have been vaccinated for
MMR a year earlier had the individual doses been available, but the
government and medical establishment doesn't seem to want to trust
people with choice. Don't get me started!

-Karen, mom to Henry 3-

Old July 17th 03, 11:59 PM
David desJardins

Karen writes:
Our own personal reasoning, based more on what seems common sense to us
and the fact that there are autoimmune issues in my family tree than on
necessarily anything that we've read,is that bombarding a still
developing immune system (some reading suggests the immune system isn't
mature until around age 5) with so many doses all at once of foreign
stuff for the body to figure out what to do with is unwise.

In all seriousness, the response of the immune system doesn't involve
any "figuring out". It's purely a mechanical reaction: this, triggers
that, triggers the other thing. Independently in lots of cells. I
don't think there's any evidence for any central coordinating agent that
goes, "Hey, I need to think about what to do about this, but I can't
really think about that at the same time." Such an anthropomorphic
analogy seems only misleading, to me.

Ds would have been vaccinated for MMR a year earlier had the
individual doses been available, but the government and medical
establishment doesn't seem to want to trust people with choice. Don't
get me started!

There's certainly a deliberate effort to coerce and convince and
persuade people, in all sorts of ways, to get vaccinated, because a
large part of the benefit from vaccination is to other people, not to
the recipients of the vaccines. So society sets up systems to try to
get people to do that, in the same way that we have systems and
incentives to get people to do lots of other things that benefit society
as a whole. The motivation of laws requiring vaccination isn't unlike
that of laws against speeding, or requiring polluters to clean up their
output, or setting licensing and performance standards for service
providers, etc.

Whether that's a good idea or not, in this particular case, is of course
open to debate.

David desJardins

Old July 18th 03, 02:56 AM
Scott Lindstrom

Robyn Kozierok wrote:
In article , Richard wrote:

Thanks, Karen. At least we (just barely) escaped the new
combined five-component pertussis-diphtheria-tetanus-inactivated
poliomyelitis-Haemophilus b conjugate vaccine.

I'll probably be sorry I asked, but what is the advantage of / obsession
with uncombined vaccines? The above combination represented 3 jabs for
my kids, and I'm sure *they* would have preferred a single shot. They had
them all at the same time anyhow, so in our case it would have been just
less pain, unless there is some disadvantage to mixing them in one shot
that goes beyond having to get them all at once. I presume there is
some theory that it is safer to get them in separate jabs, possibly at
separate times? Is there any research to support this? We're done with
vaccinations for a couple of years now, so this is mostly just curiosity.

DD had a reaction to the Haemophilus vaccine -- although
I thought it was the Haemophilus A, not the b conjugate
vaccine (whatever that is -- it's been a while ) With
5 shots in one, it's kinda hard to tell what's causing what
if something goes awry.

Her reaction (fever) was fairly rare, btw, and certainly
can't be linked to the vaccine, but it did recur each time she
got the shot ( there were 2 or 3 of them )

Scott DD 10 and DS 7