starting preschool

Old July 24th 03, 07:26 PM
Karen G

Default starting preschool

My first child is going off to preschool in five weeks. I know that
this isn't a big deal, but it is for me. How do I encourage her
independence and prepare her for this amidst my own personal feelings on
the subject?

On a related note, the preschool has shared that they will be doing a
home visit next month to meet our daughter and visit with her. I am
also getting her together with some other children that will be
attending the same class. Is there anything else I can do to ease the
transition? Is there anything else I need to do?

Karen

Old July 24th 03, 11:35 PM
H Schinske

Karen ) wrote:

My first child is going off to preschool in five weeks. I know that
this isn't a big deal, but it is for me. How do I encourage her
independence and prepare her for this amidst my own personal feelings on
the subject?

You might want to read her a few books about what preschool is like. I know
there is a Mr. Rogers book about starting school, for instance, and an Oliver
Pig book, and probably lots of others. My kids about wore out a book called
_Dog Goes to Nursery School_ (which we had by coincidence because someone
thought it was cute, but it came in handy).

--Helen

Old July 24th 03, 11:36 PM
David desJardins

Karen G writes:
My first child is going off to preschool in five weeks. I know that
this isn't a big deal, but it is for me. How do I encourage her
independence and prepare her for this amidst my own personal feelings
on the subject?

It seems very hard to answer since we have no idea what your "own
personal feelings on the subject" are. We also have no idea how old she
is, how much time she'll be spending in preschool, or what type of
preschool it is.

David desJardins

Old July 24th 03, 11:38 PM
just me

"Karen G" wrote in message
news
My first child is going off to preschool in five weeks. I know that
this isn't a big deal, but it is for me. How do I encourage her
independence and prepare her for this amidst my own personal feelings on
the subject?

On a related note, the preschool has shared that they will be doing a
home visit next month to meet our daughter and visit with her. I am
also getting her together with some other children that will be
attending the same class. Is there anything else I can do to ease the
transition? Is there anything else I need to do?

I would ask her what she thinks preschool will be like and ask if she has
any questions about it. Then, I'd follow her lead. Kids are so different
that you could have a wide range from kid A worrying that mommy will be
lonely without her to Kid Z who is charging out the door without a thought
or care in the world, Kid R who won't eat what is offered at home but will
eat two of everything at pre-school, and Kid K who does the opposite with
the eating thing, and so on. Listen to her. Listen to her again and often
after she starts. Expectations may not pan out for her, or something may
happen that bothers her but she doesn't share unless you make sure to create
the opportunities for her to do so.

Good luck. From what I've heard, kids leaving for their first day or school
ever is much harder on mom and dad left at home than the kid.

-Aula

---

Old July 25th 03, 12:08 PM
C. S.

I think it's wonderful that they make a special effort to meet the child
prior to school, and in a setting which is familiar and safe already.
(the child's own home) :-) We went to open house, but that didn't
tell us much. The event was very loosely organized, with children
playing everywhere, and parents reading their handouts and trying to
think on the spot which questions to ask.

A couple of points of advice:

1. Read thoroughly everything you are given. Prepare questions (if you
have any) and write them down. If you don't get a chance to speak
directly to your child's teacher, send a friendly note to address your
concerns. Good communication can and should be established early.

2. Pay particular attention to details which will be important to your
child, such as lunch/snacks, bathroom time, dress code, school
supplies, etc. If there is a favorite clothing item which is not
permissible at school, your child needs to know beforehand. Likewise
about eating and potty rituals. If something is going to be drastically
different from the way it is at home, it's best to start practicing the
new way. (my DD had a freak out when faced with the concept of bathroom
stalls) Know which school supplies are intended for group use.
Assuming you have a list of stuff to bring in, that is. (my DD had a
freak out when they took the play-doh she brought and put it in the
cabinet. she didn't understand it was for class use. I had to buy her
some for home)

3. Relax! :-) Kids pick up on nervous tension. If you stay calm and
focused on the positive, it should all go pretty smoothly. Just
remember, preschool is great! You're both going to be glad you chose
to include it in your lives. You may want to think about your own
school experiences, and remember the good times. You don't necessarily
have to share all this with your child, at this tender age. But just
relive a little, and perk up your confidence in your ability to
navigate transitions. You'll both do just fine! :-)

Carol

#1 preschool vs #2 nap schedules Cheryl S. General 14 July 12th 04 05:52 PM
When to place my child in preschool Maurice & Carmen Gregoire General 18 May 31st 04 04:48 AM
preschool question -- kinda long! Janette General 16 February 7th 04 08:32 PM
Choosing a preschool Cheryl S. General 58 November 4th 03 02:04 PM
Lack of interest in preschool Liz General 15 October 4th 03 04:34 PM