Men in Black II for a 5 year old?

Old August 15th 03, 01:54 PM
Calla

Default Men in Black II for a 5 year old?

Okay - please tell me if I am being unreasonable. My 5 year old
daughter was telling me last night that she watched a scary movie at
daycare. She mentioned an alien woman sticking her tongue in a man's
ear. She also said that there was something "really scary" but she
didn't want to talk about it because it would make her cry. I did an
Internet search on "alien stick tongue ear" on Google and came up with
Men in Black II - a PG 13 movie. I was livid. How can any daycare
provider in their right mind show a PG-13 movie like this to kids who
range in age from 2 years old to 6 years old? This is the third time
this person has shown what I consider an inappropriate movie, but this
one takes the cake. The first movie was Harry Potter. The second was
"Frogs". I am going to tell her today that she is not to show any
movies with a rating other than G without my permission. Do any of
you allow your kids in this age range to see these sorts of movies? I
mentioned "Frogs" to the father of the 6 year old and he just laughed
at me - he thought it was no biggie.
Old August 15th 03, 02:42 PM
Jeff Utz

"Calla" wrote in message
om...
Okay - please tell me if I am being unreasonable. My 5 year old
daughter was telling me last night that she watched a scary movie at
daycare. She mentioned an alien woman sticking her tongue in a man's
ear. She also said that there was something "really scary" but she
didn't want to talk about it because it would make her cry. I did an
Internet search on "alien stick tongue ear" on Google and came up with
Men in Black II - a PG 13 movie. I was livid. How can any daycare
provider in their right mind show a PG-13 movie like this to kids who
range in age from 2 years old to 6 years old? This is the third time
this person has shown what I consider an inappropriate movie, but this
one takes the cake. The first movie was Harry Potter. The second was
"Frogs". I am going to tell her today that she is not to show any
movies with a rating other than G without my permission.

I would find out what movie it was first. It could be something else.
However, another question that comes to mind is why aren't you looking for a
new day care? I think I would make it clear that your daughter is not watch
any G movies without your permission. At the same time, I would be looking
for new day care.

Jeff

Old August 15th 03, 03:26 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Calla wrote:

[...]

I'm with you. My kids are 8 and 6 and nowhere near
ready to see movies beyond a G rating without very careful
parental screening. They'd be very upset at that sort of
thing.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old August 15th 03, 04:11 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
(Calla) wrote:

[...]

I don't think you are unreasonable at all. While many families DO let
their kids watch PG13 movies, the "P" in PG13 (or PG, for that matter)
stands for "parent" -- not day care provider, not school, not anyone
else. I had to go into my DD#1's elementary school to remind them of
that when they were showing movies in first grade that scared her.

However, rather than tell her that you think she's done something bad,
or showing your anger, you are more likely to get what you want by just
saying that your daughter is especially sensitive to scary things, and
the movie she let the kids watch, while probably fine for the other
kids, left your daughter upset. Just tell her that, because your
daughter has problems, you need her to stick to G rated movies to avoid
giving your daughter nightmares.

meh

Old August 15th 03, 07:36 PM
Kari

I think you have a right to be upset. I personally want to know everything
my kids are watching and especially if that IS the case, they should
definately be asking parents first.

That being said, my daughter watches "grown up" movies like Harry Potter,
Charlie's Angels (her fave), Tomb Raider, X-Men, etc and my son cannot
handle them. He saw 1 scene from Harry potter and swears there are miniature
Dobby's hiding under his bed. I think it varies per child but my daughter IS
almost 8 years old, not 5 so yes, I'd be pretty upset. It reminds me of the
time I was at my mother in law's and she had on Alien for her 4 yr old. I
couldn't believe it! Needless to say, I left.

Kari
mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due in 7 weeks

Old August 15th 03, 09:39 PM
Banty

In article , Kari says...

I think you have a right to be upset. I personally want to know everything
my kids are watching and especially if that IS the case, they should
definately be asking parents first.

That being said, my daughter watches "grown up" movies like Harry Potter,
Charlie's Angels (her fave), Tomb Raider, X-Men, etc and my son cannot
handle them. He saw 1 scene from Harry potter and swears there are miniature
Dobby's hiding under his bed. I think it varies per child but my daughter IS
almost 8 years old, not 5 so yes, I'd be pretty upset. It reminds me of the
time I was at my mother in law's and she had on Alien for her 4 yr old. I
couldn't believe it! Needless to say, I left.

Some people are just impervious to that stuff. I walked out of a deli once that
had Silence of the Lambs on their TV.

Banty (what was in that sandwich.....)

Old August 15th 03, 10:15 PM
Barbara Bomberger

On 15 Aug 2003 05:54:42 -0700, (Calla) wrote:

[...]

!. In my opinion a good daycare doesnt use movies at all. perhaps a
mousercise thing for excercise, or a special move like the Grinch at a
holiday, but a full fledged movie??????? Aside from being mind
numbing, how many kids really are willing to sit that long in the
middle of the day.

that said

2. I would find out if that actually was the movie. If it was, I
agree, nothing but G rathed programming should be shown.

Are we talking frogs like in the horror movie with Ray Milland, or am
I totally out of stepo here????????????

BAarb

Old August 15th 03, 10:24 PM
dejablues

I must say that we saw "MIBII" (in the theater) and it didn't faze our
5-year-old one bit ( I can't think of anything that scares my kids,
frankly). It's still not appropriate for the day care provider to have shown
it, however.

om...

Old August 15th 03, 10:29 PM
newfy

"Calla" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Is this a home daycare situation? Sounds like the provider is putting in
what *she* wants to watch. Very inappropriate.
--
JennP.
mom to matthew 10/11/00

Old August 16th 03, 12:42 AM
Clisby Williams

Calla wrote:

[...]

My daughter saw the first Harry Potter movie at age 5 - I don't consider
that inappropriate,
but we had read the book to her so she knew what to expect. I don't
know anything about
Men in Black or Frogs - but in general, I think 2 things: a) I would
prefer that a daycare
not show any moviies or videos, period. b) If they're going to show
them, restricting it
to G movies sounds like a good idea.

Clisby