Clubbed foot question

Old July 12th 03, 04:31 PM
Shelly

Default Clubbed foot question

My son was born with a clubbed foot, It's all been taken care of and he is
on the right track. However I am terrified to have another because I don't
want another child to go through what Zach did. Everyone says it's not my
fault. I don't believe them.. The reason, I have been off of work for 2 1/2
years due to an injury and i've been on pain killers. I was taking them and
didn't even know i was pregnant. I feel like i've hurt my son because of
it.. I will add that when i found out i stopped immediately.

--

Shelly
Mommy to Zachariah

Old July 12th 03, 05:59 PM
Dagny

My perspective is that every "normal" healthy person suffers. The best
parent with the best efforts cannot give a child an effortless life. Nor is
raising a child who is never asked to go beyond what is easy for him or her,
properly preparing that child for adulthood. While it may be unfair to
intentionally bring a child into the world who will probably suffer above
and beyond this normal human condition, I don't think a club foot qualifies,
in this day and age when it is correctible to such a degree so early. And
clearly if you believe the painkillers were the cause of Zach's problem, you
can't also believe that the exact same thing is going to happen again now
that you are discussing a planned pregnancy where you would not take the
painkillers.

.. .

Old July 12th 03, 06:48 PM
Joy

As you know, Shelly, my first was born with a clubfoot. It is such a
treatable condition! That being said, the likelihood of you having
another baby with clubfeet is pretty low. Since you have one baby with
a clubbed foot, you now have about a one in thirty chance (what I've
been told and read anyway).

I remember racking my brain, trying to figure out what I did/didn't do
that would have caused Rose's clubfoot. Sheesh... I still do at times!
We don't have any history in either of our families, so it certainly did
come out of nowhere.

I've gone on to have two more children. It's kinda funny, but with my
second, even before checking the sex, I looked at her feet just to make
sure they were normal. This time around, I checked out the sex first
and feet were an afterthought.

It isn't your fault. Trust me. Would you be interested in talking to
other folks who have babies/children with clubfeet? There is a couple
groups at www.yahoogroups.com One is called cluboot and the other is
nosurgery4clubfoot (the one I'm mostly on when I get a chance to post).
There is also a Clubfoot board at www.parentsplace.com

I'm sorry my mailbox isn't accepting your messages. I have no idea why!
Anyway, i hope this helps.

Joy

http://community.webtv.net/joybelle15/ROSESCLUBFOOTPAGE

Old July 13th 03, 06:05 PM
Denise

"Shelly" wrote in message
.. .
My son was born with a clubbed foot, It's all been taken care of and he

is
on the right track. However I am terrified to have another because I

don't
want another child to go through what Zach did. Everyone says it's not my
fault. I don't believe them.. The reason, I have been off of work for 2

1/2
years due to an injury and i've been on pain killers. I was taking them

and
didn't even know i was pregnant. I feel like i've hurt my son because of
it.. I will add that when i found out i stopped immediately.

--

Shelly
Mommy to Zachariah
January 24, 2003

My middle dd was born with clubbed feet and some other orthopedic problems,
tibial torsion being the worst. But I've had two children who were born
without it and the pregnancies weren't that much different. Sometimes
things just happen, and its impossible to know why. Don't beat yourself up
over the small stuff when there's so much other stuff to worry about being a
mom.

Old July 13th 03, 06:10 PM
Sue

It isn't your fault. My friend was pregnant with her last son and he had
clubbed feet. She didn't take any medications or drink while pregnant. It is
just one of those things. This isn't something to feel guilty about. Will
subsequent children have this? Probably not, it is just a fluke.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

.. .

Old July 13th 03, 11:46 PM
Shelly

Thanks. I just felt horrible about it. Like it was my fault. Even though
people said to me it isn't I couldn't help it. Thankfully he is on the
right track. To me he is perfect regardless. It has been rough though.

--

Shelly
Mommy to Zachariah
"Sue" wrote in message
It isn't your fault. My friend was pregnant with her last son and he had
clubbed feet. She didn't take any medications or drink while pregnant. It

is
just one of those things. This isn't something to feel guilty about. Will
subsequent children have this? Probably not, it is just a fluke.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

.. .

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM
Dumb first time mom question :) Donna General 7 July 28th 03 03:29 PM