The cosleeper Dad built...

Old March 7th 05, 08:22 AM
Jenrose

Default The cosleeper Dad built...

I'm so tickled by this... it's 18 inches wide by 48 inches long, with
1 foot of that being shelf/bedside table space. It will sit flush with
the bed, and the firm foam mattress with baby vinyl cover (Mom *made*
the mattress)fits the space so snugly that it doesn't move even when
the unit is tipped, and overlaps the bed side just enough that it will
cover any gap between mattress and cosleeper caused by the bedframe.
Basically it expands our sleeping space by 18 inches, and provides a
"no roll off" zone so if I get up to pee, I don't have to worry about
baby rolling off.

http://www.jenrose.com/co-sleeper.jpg

Jenrose
IANIL (I am not in labor...lol)

Old March 7th 05, 09:02 AM
Kara H

"Jenrose" wrote:

http://www.jenrose.com/co-sleeper.jpg

Wowwww Jen!! You have some incredibly crafty and talented parents! You are
very lucky!

That co-sleeper looks perfect and useful in every way. It really looks like
the perfect solution and there's no doubt in my mind that you will love it!!

Looks like you are all set and ready for the baby.

-Kara
(I love your sig, BTW)

Old March 7th 05, 09:41 AM
Anne Rogers

I want I want I WANT!

We managed quite nicely last time with the moses basket right next to the
bed, but the baby was lower than I was, so it wasn't quite so convenient, it
wouldn't be worth trying to do anythig different this time, we had the baby
in our room for about 4 months and I expect we will do similar again.

Anne

Old March 7th 05, 11:12 AM
Jenrose

"Kara H" wrote in message
"Jenrose" wrote:

http://www.jenrose.com/co-sleeper.jpg

Wowwww Jen!! You have some incredibly crafty and talented parents! You are
very lucky!

I know... G Dad also built my laundry system, and Mom sewed all the
medieval garb for all the people in my wedding... 10 outfits, total, all in
silk!

That co-sleeper looks perfect and useful in every way. It really looks
like
the perfect solution and there's no doubt in my mind that you will love
it!!

I'm so tickled. We were talking about just doing an improvised headboard and
side rail for my side of the bed...but when I explained my purpose to dad,
we both sort of went, "Oh, it should be like this...and this...and this..."
and what you see is EXACTLY what I described. I wanted shelves to act as a
bedside table to extend from the wall to one foot out. I wanted 36 inches
long of "rail space" extending to 4 feet total from the bed (a crib would be
5 feet and make it very hard to get in and out of bed for me). I wanted
shelves underneath. I wanted a rail on three sides to prevent roll-out, and
a mattress exactly flush with the top of my bed, sized to fit, and
everything done to all applicable crib standards. So the slat width is
within spec, the finish is 100% pure tung oil, etc. etc. The height is not
crib height, because it's not designed for "unsupervised" use with a baby
who can pull up at all. It's not meant for unattended sleeping for longer
than it takes me to pee. And it means that I can keep baby off our memory
foam if I need to.

Looks like you are all set and ready for the baby.

Tell me about it! No, tell this kid about it! You hear that baby? We're
ready....

Jenrose
IANIL

Old March 7th 05, 11:17 AM
Jenrose

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
I want I want I WANT!

We managed quite nicely last time with the moses basket right next to the
bed, but the baby was lower than I was, so it wasn't quite so convenient,
it wouldn't be worth trying to do anythig different this time, we had the
baby in our room for about 4 months and I expect we will do similar again.

DD was in my room for 4 years. I figure at some point this will get "too
small" for practical use (probably at age 2 1/2-ish) and we'll find some
other option. But it will likely end up staying in the family for this baby,
any kids my sister has, etc... on down to my daughter's kids, if it works as
well as I think it will.

With dd, I had a futon on the floor the whole time we coslept--which was
very safe but not very comfortable. I've "grown up" and now have a grown up
bed and don't want to give it up... so this gives us some baby safe space
while letting me sleep with baby in the crook of my arm. We determined the
measurements by having me lie in the bed and figure out where my arm would
come, how long baby would stretch, etc....

The bed is impressive--but the mattress... most people would not be able to
tell that it's homemade. They used exactly the kind of vinyl that most crib
mattresses are made from, and a piece of foam that was the highest
density/quality available from a store that supplies a wide variety of foams
for upholstry, etc... It's *very* firm, the cover fits exactly and is
wipe-clean. We're going to adapt sheets by taking a flat twin sheet,
wrapping it around, sewing it to fit, but leaving a flap that will cross
from the cosleeper to my bed, providing "crack coverage".

Jenrose

Old March 7th 05, 11:19 AM
Alley

"Jenrose" wrote in message
news:1110180178.4d3bece71b87586503c367b92d6ad762@t eranews...
I'm so tickled by this... it's 18 inches wide by 48 inches long, with
1 foot of that being shelf/bedside table space. It will sit flush with
the bed, and the firm foam mattress with baby vinyl cover (Mom *made*
the mattress)fits the space so snugly that it doesn't move even when
the unit is tipped, and overlaps the bed side just enough that it will
cover any gap between mattress and cosleeper caused by the bedframe.
Basically it expands our sleeping space by 18 inches, and provides a
"no roll off" zone so if I get up to pee, I don't have to worry about
baby rolling off.

http://www.jenrose.com/co-sleeper.jpg

Jenrose
IANIL (I am not in labor...lol)

oh that's lovely. I kep the cot about a foot from my bed and once I'm in I
pull it close but I still have the bars between us, but I can slip my arm in
to feel if ds is too cold or too hot. I prefer yours! I wish I had known
about co-sleepers before having kids I's of had one built too!
Alissa

Old March 7th 05, 11:53 AM
Jenrose

oh that's lovely. I kep the cot about a foot from my bed and once I'm in I
pull it close but I still have the bars between us, but I can slip my arm
in to feel if ds is too cold or too hot. I prefer yours! I wish I had
known about co-sleepers before having kids I's of had one built too!
Alissa

With dd, I had a crib next to the bed, a couple feet away. We sometimes used
it for naps, or if she fell asleep before I was ready for bed. But if I
tried to sleep with her in there, I'd wake up every 5 minutes to check her
breathing...so she slept with me.

With my foster son, I took the drop side off the crib, put a toddler rail
on, set it right next to my bed almost flush...but that little "lip" of rail
meant he never ended up in the crib because I couldn't put my arm in there.

This is flush. So I can just get close to it and have baby there and be "in
touch" and nurse and sleep without thinking about whether baby is "down" or
"over there", etc.

Jenrose

Old March 7th 05, 01:10 PM
Anne Rogers

DD was in my room for 4 years. I figure at some point this will get "too
small" for practical use (probably at age 2 1/2-ish) and we'll find some
other option. But it will likely end up staying in the family for this
baby, any kids my sister has, etc... on down to my daughter's kids, if it
works as well as I think it will.

we've had a wierd ride sleepwise with DS, he was ok as a baby, well normal,
fed loads at night, then less and less and then slept through we moved him
mostly into his room when he was feeding once at night, then completely into
his room, he went off a bit from 8ish months so I was up and down a bit
more, would have been very tempted to have him back in our room, but the cot
would have just been annoying. Ended up having to move him to a bed very
early, 14 months, he started screaming if we even went near the cot, at this
stage however he still went down very easily, then he went to nursery and it
all went pear shaped, needed much more help to get to sleep, now we are in a
situation where DH sleeps most of the night with him in a single bed, there
is no room for me, bump, DH and DS all in a standard double, I loved it when
we stayed in a hotel before christmas and we had two double beds, I keep
saying we should have this in out house, 1 sleeping room, with 2 double
beds/mattresses and swap over as necessary.

I'm not sure how things will pan out with this baby, our house has 4
bedrooms, but currently we have one as our room, one as a nursery, one as a
study, one as a guest room, I'm not sure I want to try and put baby in with
Nathanael, but none of the other rooms are currently set up well, I guess I
have some thinking and sorting to do, or just deciding to cosleep longer and
adapting the cot or buying a co sleeper!

Anne

Old March 7th 05, 01:24 PM
Alley

I know... G Dad also built my laundry system,

what is that? do you have a pic? I could do with some organisation in my
laundry
Alissa

Old March 7th 05, 02:45 PM

Jenrose wrote:
I'm so tickled by this...

Maybe this is what baby has been waiting for... "I can't be born yet,
I have nowhere to sleep!!"

Amy