Baby stopping breathing.

Old February 4th 05, 09:35 AM
Welches

Default Baby stopping breathing.

My sister had a baby yesterday by c/s. Last night after feeding he stopped
breathing. He was resussitated and is now on a ventilator.
He also apparently had a couple of seizures where his legs shook (and
possibly one arm too)
He's going to have a brain scan to see if there's a problem.

Please send cheering stories I can pass on!

I have suggested the breathing could be reflux as he is quite sick-y. His
blood sugar is fine so it wasn't that that caused the seizure.

I have a vague memory of #1's legs shaking during the first few weeks-so was
this necessarily a seizure?

Anyone with similar experiences?

Debbie

Old February 4th 05, 10:56 AM
Welches

"Welches" wrote in message
My sister had a baby yesterday by c/s. Last night after feeding he stopped
breathing. He was resussitated and is now on a ventilator.
He also apparently had a couple of seizures where his legs shook (and
possibly one arm too)
He's going to have a brain scan to see if there's a problem.

Please send cheering stories I can pass on!

I have suggested the breathing could be reflux as he is quite sick-y. His
blood sugar is fine so it wasn't that that caused the seizure.

I have a vague memory of #1's legs shaking during the first few weeks-so
was this necessarily a seizure?

Anyone with similar experiences?

Debbie

Quick update: the brain scan was normal. Doing more tests:
Debbie

Old February 4th 05, 12:41 PM
Chookie

In article ,
"Welches" wrote:

My sister had a baby yesterday by c/s. Last night after feeding he stopped
breathing.

Isn't there a problem like this that is really common after C-sections? It's
to do with the baby's lungs not being massaged by contractions, IIRC, so they
haven't had the signal to really start working.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old February 4th 05, 01:00 PM
sharonx9

My nephew (now 2) was a csection. I dont know what it's called but the
little hole in your heart that closes up at birth didn't close on him. He
was on a ventilator for a few days and was in NICU for 7 days total. He was
breathing really fast and was not getting enough oxygen. It corrected
itself within his first week of life. The dr's told my sister it was common
in csection babies to have breathing problems. As far as the legs jerking,
I seem to recall that too with no problems later on.

Glad the brain scan went well!

sharon
mom to 5

Old February 4th 05, 01:02 PM
Welches

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"Welches" wrote:

My sister had a baby yesterday by c/s. Last night after feeding he
stopped
breathing.

Isn't there a problem like this that is really common after C-sections?
It's
to do with the baby's lungs not being massaged by contractions, IIRC, so
they
haven't had the signal to really start working.

Thank you!
I was hoping there might be something like that.
Debbie

Old February 4th 05, 01:15 PM
JennP

"Welches" wrote in message
My sister had a baby yesterday by c/s. Last night after feeding he stopped
breathing. He was resussitated and is now on a ventilator.
He also apparently had a couple of seizures where his legs shook (and
possibly one arm too)
He's going to have a brain scan to see if there's a problem.

Wow. How scary. I hope your nephew is fine.

JennP.

Old February 4th 05, 02:56 PM
Pologirl

Monkey Boy had some shaking/jerking episodes in his first
days after birth. That, and his small size, had the nurses
in a tizzy about low blood sugar. They tested him twice,
once without my permission (!), and it was normal. I was
not especially worried about it because (a) otherwise he
seemed 100% well and (b) in utero it seems he did the same.
That is, on occasion I used to feel a rapid motion just
like it.

He also stopped breathing now and then. That was scary
but also normal.

Old February 4th 05, 03:12 PM
Welches

"Welches" wrote in message
My sister had a baby yesterday by c/s. Last night after feeding he stopped
breathing. He was resussitated and is now on a ventilator.
He also apparently had a couple of seizures where his legs shook (and
possibly one arm too)
He's going to have a brain scan to see if there's a problem.

Please send cheering stories I can pass on!

I have suggested the breathing could be reflux as he is quite sick-y. His
blood sugar is fine so it wasn't that that caused the seizure.

I have a vague memory of #1's legs shaking during the first few weeks-so
was this necessarily a seizure?

Anyone with similar experiences?

More Updates:
Mum just text me and said things aren't good.
Debbie

Old February 4th 05, 04:24 PM
Welches

"Joybelle" wrote in message

"Welches" wrote in message
My sister had a baby yesterday by c/s. Last night after feeding he
stopped
breathing. He was resussitated and is now on a ventilator.
He also apparently had a couple of seizures where his legs shook (and
possibly one arm too)
He's going to have a brain scan to see if there's a problem.

I read the update, and it was very reassuring there was no problem.

Please send cheering stories I can pass on!

I have suggested the breathing could be reflux as he is quite sick-y. His
blood sugar is fine so it wasn't that that caused the seizure.

I have a vague memory of #1's legs shaking during the first few weeks-so

was
this necessarily a seizure?

I remember my daughter doing this, too. I don't think her's were
seizures.

Anyone with similar experiences?

Well, something similar happened to me as a baby. I'm not sure of all the
details, but I stopped breathing at some point in the hospital and had to
be
resuscitated. I don't know any more about it than that, though. I didn't
have any more episodes where I stopped breathing either. I hope all is
well
with your nephew. He is in my thoughts.
--

Thank you.
Debbie

Old February 4th 05, 04:36 PM
Ilse Witch

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 16:22:37 +0000, Welches wrote:

They're testing him and can't find out what's wrong. He seems to be having
what the paediatrician thought were fits, where he shakes, a couple of times
an hour. He's on drugs to stop this, but it's making him very drowsy. If
he's touched this can set off a fit, but if he's having a fit, touch also
seems to calm him down.
He came off the venilator without much problems, but then later stopped
breathing and his heart stopped too, and had to be ressussitated. They're
not putting him back on the ventilator at present.
Debbie

Real urgent good vibes to the little guy and his family! A friend of mine
had similar problems when her baby was premature. He is now a healthy
2.5y/o, but they had him in hospital on and off the first year. I pray for
the best outcome and a stabilizing of his situation real soon.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)