More efficient way to change diapers?

Old June 18th 07, 01:39 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Sue

Default More efficient way to change diapers?

"Nikki" wrote in message
When you removed the old diaper use the clean part up front for the
initial swipe of his butt. My dh will not do that and he uses way more
wipes. I use cloth wipes and they really are more efficient IMO. They
might be a hassle though if you aren't using cloth diapers.

I disagree. I used disposables for all three and they seemed to contain the
blow-outs pretty well. If there are problems, then most likely it is the
size of the diaper that's off. I only had a couple of incidents that
required taking a bath afterwards. The sprayer to me sounds like it would
cause an even larger mess. I'm in the camp also that didn't seem to require
a lot of wipes. Although, if the mess was bad, a washcloth would be
something I would use.
--
Sue

Old June 18th 07, 01:55 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

Sue wrote:
"Nikki" wrote in message
When you removed the old diaper use the clean part up front for the
initial swipe of his butt. My dh will not do that and he uses way more
wipes. I use cloth wipes and they really are more efficient IMO. They
might be a hassle though if you aren't using cloth diapers.

I disagree. I used disposables for all three and they seemed to contain the
blow-outs pretty well. If there are problems, then most likely it is the
size of the diaper that's off.

I think she was saying that cloth *wipes* are more
efficient than disposable wipes, not that cloth diapers are
more efficient than disposable diapers (though she might
take the latter position as well ;-) ). I think she's right
on that front. You can usually wipe up more of a mess with
cloth wipes than disposable wipes (they're often bigger, for
one thing, and often terrycloth, which also helps). But,
as she points out, it might not be convenient to take on
cloth wipes if you aren't already cloth diapering and therefore
aren't set up to launder diapers/wipes already.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old June 18th 07, 06:44 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Nikki

"Sue" wrote in message
"Nikki" wrote in message
When you removed the old diaper use the clean part up front for the
initial swipe of his butt. My dh will not do that and he uses way more
wipes. I use cloth wipes and they really are more efficient IMO. They
might be a hassle though if you aren't using cloth diapers.

I disagree. I used disposables for all three and they seemed to contain
the blow-outs pretty well. If there are problems, then most likely it is
the size of the diaper that's off.

Oh that is probably true. Actually I do have fewer blow-outs with cloth
diapers but that is probably because there is really a lot of diaper there.
plus the covers I use have a double row of elastic around the lets. They
are bulky though so that is a trade off. However, I'm not really trying to
argue cloth diapers but just wanted to clarify I wasn't talking about
cloth diapers at all, just the cloth wipes. The cloth wipes are a lot
better then the disposable ones IMO but if I was using disposable diapers I
personally would not want to fiddle around with cloth wipes - I'd be
perfectly happy with using 2-3 instead. My dh uses 2-3 cloth wipes even - I
think he gets a new one for each swipe, lol.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old June 18th 07, 06:44 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Nikki

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
. ..

I think she was saying that cloth *wipes* are more
efficient than disposable wipes, not that cloth diapers are
more efficient than disposable diapers (though she might
take the latter position as well ;-) ).

Oh - should have read your post before I posted, lol.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old June 18th 07, 07:58 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
beyond the pale

"Sue" wrote
I disagree. I used disposables for all three and they seemed to contain
the blow-outs pretty well. If there are problems, then most likely it is
the size of the diaper that's off. I only had a couple of incidents that
required taking a bath afterwards. The sprayer to me sounds like it would
cause an even larger mess. I'm in the camp also that didn't seem to
require a lot of wipes. Although, if the mess was bad, a washcloth would
be something I would use.
--
Sue

I've had DD make such a mess (or not that she consciously did it, but you
know what I mean, the dirty diaper was such a mess) that I stand her up in
the sink or tub and wash her with one of those Johnsons or Huggies
washcloths that have the baby wash aready on it, just wet and lather.

I never found a more efficient way overall to change diapers, because it was
either very efficient (98% of the time) or it was one of those big blow outs
that was going to need more cleaning no matter what.

Old June 19th 07, 06:20 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

wrote in message
ps.com...
My wife and I have a newborn, well 10 days old now. I'm wondering if
there is a more efficient way to change diapers. When he poops, it
gets all over his butt, as expected. Than you go to change him and
have to use a bunch of baby wipes.

Being the person I am, I was thinking of installing a sprayer in our
bathroom sink, so instead of using a ton if baby wipes, we could use
warm water and spray his buttom off. I was thinking this might be
quicker too.

Does this make sense, or does someone have a better solution?

More 'efficient'? There's many ways to 'efficiently' change diapers...
I've long ago mastered changing 2 diapers at a time... First time was a
newborn and a 13 month old (both boys), second time around was a newborn and
a 14 month old (both girls).
Use the top part of the diaper that is not smeared with poop to wipe off as
much as possible before wiping with a cloth or wipe. The front part can be
soaked with pee, but that's not an issue. Oh, and for boys, make sure you
always point his penis down before doing up the diaper, as this will make
the pee go down more than in the front, and also lessesn the chance of pee
escaping out the sides/front of the diaper. (Totally pointless to changing
poopy diapers, but is a handy piece of info I was given when DS was a few
weeks old) The front of the diaper will be less wet and not very poopy for
a normal poop, but if you have a diaper expolsion, there's no saving that
from happening!
So, wipe his bum with one swipe, getting as much off his bum as you can with
the cleanest part of the diaper. Fold the diaper in half under his bum and
then lift up, with the wipe open all the way, and do a quick swipe with the
wipe. Fold the wipe in half, with the poopy part inside, obviously, and do
another swipe. Often you can even fold it in half yet again and do one last
swipe with that same wipe. Toss that inside the dirty diaper, have another
wipe ready and repeat. I can normally change a diaper (either DDs' diapers)
with 2 wipes on average, sometimes I can even manage only one for DD2, and
the girls are now 8 months and 22 months - meaning bigger poops.
Oh, and especially with boys, you need to do this as fast as possible. Boys
tend to pee further distances than girls, and baby boys are often not afraid
to use their outside plumbing as a weapon.
If you have some sort of sprayer, it might be alright to use. I don't think
I would have bothered to install one in my bathroom, though. I was, though,
cleaning DD1's bum in the sink from when she was about 10 days old until she
was about 3 months old due to her having some major yeast infection issues.
I couldn't use a wipe, as it irritated her skin, and I couldn't use a cloth
either because even the softest of baby cloths/cloth wipes would rub her
EXTREMELY sensitive skin and cause more issues for her. I would simply fill
the sink up with water or put her bottom under warm runinng water (depending
on her age and size, the running water was more convenient when she was
smaller, still water and rinsing was easier when she was a little bigger and
more wiggly) and I would, yes, use my hand to spash water and rub her bum
clean then dry with a towel I had kept nearby just for this use. It was
kind of a pain as I would even do this if I was out in public or at someone
elses' house, so I also kept a small spray bottle of sanitizer just to be on
the safe side, and would give the sink (in public) a quick spray before and
after use. I, though, didn't really have any choice due to DD1's horrible,
sensitive skin and major yeast infections.
I found wipes to be far more convenient and efficient than washing a bum in
the sink.
I also buy wipes by the cases. Just today, I spent about 90 dollars on 2
cases of diapers (one each for DD's who are one size apart in diaper sizes)
and 2 cases of wipes. One case of wipes (I think there's about 500 wipes
per case), with 2 babies using them for diaper changes AND also for quick
wiping of faces and hands for all the kids, will last me around a month or
so, give or take. I don't mind using as many wipes as needed - I expect
people who are not so used to diaper changes to use a gazillion wipes, which
is why I find a whole case of wipes to be a lot better, and makes it easier
to use as many as needed!

Old June 19th 07, 07:55 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Oh that is probably true. Actually I do have fewer blow-outs with cloth
diapers but that is probably because there is really a lot of diaper there.
plus the covers I use have a double row of elastic around the lets. They
are bulky though so that is a trade off. However, I'm not really trying to
argue cloth diapers but just wanted to clarify I wasn't talking about
cloth diapers at all, just the cloth wipes. The cloth wipes are a lot
better then the disposable ones IMO but if I was using disposable diapers I
personally would not want to fiddle around with cloth wipes - I'd be
perfectly happy with using 2-3 instead. My dh uses 2-3 cloth wipes even - I
think he gets a new one for each swipe, lol.

we on the other hand do cloth diaper, but don't routinely use cloth
wipe, we don't do changes near a source of water, so we would have that
inconvenience, I can see they are good though, on the odd occasion
things are bad enough that I will use a full terry square dampened to
get things clean.

For everyone, the pattern of how your baby poops is going to be the
biggest factor, the baby that has a little poop with each feed is much
easier to clean than the baby who blows out once a week.

Anne
Old June 19th 07, 06:37 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

My guy had a bad case of butt-mud yesterday. I was gone so my wife got
the honors to change him.

Change of wardrobes... Emily Pregnancy 7 February 28th 05 08:34 AM
Why change? Lanark Child Support 0 December 19th 04 01:42 AM
WTB: Paying Top Dollar for Kushies Diapers / Kooshies Cuddlers or other cloth diapers Crystal Hall General 2 August 1st 04 12:02 AM
Name Change DeliciousTruffles Pregnancy 5 September 22nd 03 09:57 PM
Name Change DeliciousTruffles Breastfeeding 0 September 22nd 03 04:20 AM