How much should my 1 yo be eating??

Old August 20th 03, 03:01 AM
A&G&K

Default How much should my 1 yo be eating??

Well, a general question as I had DD weighed yesterday on a different set of
scales to normal and she was 330 g less than she was a month ago The new
scales are more accurate and I'm guessing that the old ones were
overestimating by about 700 g - I'm going to check them later today). I'm
sure that she has actually continued to gain at the same rate as normal
(roughly at 10% for weight and 75% for height) but the new clinic sister
wants to review her weight again in a month. She's not dangerously low,
just a bit long and skinny and I'm not worried about her weight.

But my question is about what amounts other 1 yo are/were eating / feeding.
DD nurses about 5 times a day and has cereal for brekkie with fruit and
yoghurt, a vegemite sandwich (or similar e.g. avocado, cheese etc) for lunch
(roughly 1 slice of bread) as well as some fruit and yoghurt or custard, and
then meat and veges for dinner once again followed by fruit and yoghurt or
custard. All other snacks are bm. She's not really up to table foods yet
but we do share some things off out plates with her (rice, cooked veges
etc). All drinks are either bm or water.
Her servings are what she will eat at a sitting which isn't a huge amount
(certainly pushing to get through a 170g baby food jar - although that might
be the taste as she normally gets home cooking).

Anyone got any opinions or suggestions of good nutritious toddler foods and
snacks as I've started trying her on morning / afternoon tea along with her
bf. I'm not going to cut her bf, but want to increase her variety of foods.

TIA
Amanda

Old August 20th 03, 05:54 AM
Nikki

A&G&K wrote:

But my question is about what amounts other 1 yo are/were eating /
feeding.

Hunter nursed every 2 hours day and night (except for a 5 hour break) at
that point and ate about 1/2 cup food a day. It was not uncommon or him to
eat even less solids then that on days when there was no daycare. Luke
nursed rougly every 2.5 hours (except for a 6-7 hour break at daycare) and
ate his three squares a day. His amounts varied some but he probably ate a
bit more then what your dd is eating. FWIW Hunter who could have cared less
about solids was the pudge ball of the two. Luke was a lot more active
though.
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old August 20th 03, 08:27 AM
A&G&K

"Nikki" wrote in message news:3f41ad59_2@newsfeed...
A&G&K wrote:

But my question is about what amounts other 1 yo are/were eating /
feeding.

Hunter nursed every 2 hours day and night (except for a 5 hour break) at
that point and ate about 1/2 cup food a day. It was not uncommon or him

eat even less solids then that on days when there was no daycare. Luke
nursed rougly every 2.5 hours (except for a 6-7 hour break at daycare) and
ate his three squares a day. His amounts varied some but he probably ate

bit more then what your dd is eating. FWIW Hunter who could have cared

less
about solids was the pudge ball of the two. Luke was a lot more active
though.
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Thanks ... I forgot to mention that she is extremely active (crawls at a
cracking pace and staggers around the room between doing a zillion squats to
pick up things from the floor) and is currently having one of her rare
daytime naps (good night sleeper though). My Mum reckons she'd grow more if
we could get her to sit still for a minute
Thanks
Amanda

Old August 20th 03, 08:33 AM
A&G&K

"Molly Fisher" wrote in message
In article ,
"A&G&K" wrote:

Well, a general question as I had DD weighed yesterday on a different

set of
scales to normal and she was 330 g less than she was a month ago The

new
scales are more accurate and I'm guessing that the old ones were
overestimating by about 700 g - I'm going to check them later today).

I'm
sure that she has actually continued to gain at the same rate as normal
(roughly at 10% for weight and 75% for height) but the new clinic sister
wants to review her weight again in a month. She's not dangerously low,
just a bit long and skinny and I'm not worried about her weight.

Long and skinny describes my DD too. I refuse to worry since she's
energetic and happy. I was sure DD had made it up to 20 pounds, but the
new ped has a different scale... looks like she hasn't gained any weight
in two months. I refuse, I tell ya, but it's hard not to.

But my question is about what amounts other 1 yo are/were eating /

feeding.

DD nurses about 5 or 6 times a day and at least a couple times at night.
Breakfast = 1 bowl of muesli mixed with either breast milk or formula
Morning snack = about half a cup of whole milk yogurt; some of my oatmeal
Lunch = french toast, omlette, or whole grain pasta with cheese, or
vegetables (often peas)
Afternoon snack = fruit (she'll eat almost a whole mango in one sitting,
but much less of any other fruit--half an apple, pear, peach, etc.)
Dinner = fruit, veggies, and some of whatever I'm having (vegetarian)

I try to bump up the calories by making sure she gets a little flax seed
oil in her cereal and olive oil to dress her veggies when the vegetables
are low starch low calorie varieties.

Wish I could be more helpful. DD is pretty picky, and she'll reject many
of my more creative menu items. OTOH, she eats soap gleefully, so I will
try not to take her criticism of my culinary abilities to heart.

--
Molly
http://www.fisher-studio.com/

I hear ya! I know that DD's weight is OK but it takes a lot of willpower
not to worry The *big bonus* is that my usual clinic sister (and LC ) is
back from sick leave and is going to be doing her regular clinic again from
next Wednesday so I shall take DD back to her for a re-weigh on the usual
scales

Thanks for all the new menu ideas mmaaangoes ohhhh I can't wait for
summer now, just so I can buy a case and sit in the bathtub and eat them
I suppose I'll have to share them with DD ...
Is flax seed oil the same as linseed oil? My MIL puts that on absolutely
everything so I might have to try it with DD. I have so far managed to keep
the soap from DD's grasp, but we did have a dog that would gobble it up
given half the chance .... can't say I like it much myself
Cheers
Amanda

Old August 21st 03, 02:07 AM
A&G&K

"New York Jen" wrote in message
.net...
OK, I've always wanted to know this...what is "vegemite"?

Jen, been wondering since 8th grade when Men at Work sang "I Come From The
Land Down Under"

LOL!
Its a vegetable extract spread ... a thick black tar like substance which
only we Aussies seem to like ... a bit of an acquired taste unless you
grew up on it
I love it on a sandwich made on fresh, crusty white bread with a slice of
cheese. Another favourite is on a slice of toast where its proverbially
known as "sh!t on a shingle". Its not wonderfully healthy but is probably
better than most spreads (including peanut paste and jam) as its low in fat
and is a source of Vits B1, B2 and B3).
HTH
Amanda

Old August 21st 03, 02:32 AM
Dawn Lawson

A&G&K wrote:

"New York Jen" wrote in message
.net...
OK, I've always wanted to know this...what is "vegemite"?

Jen, been wondering since 8th grade when Men at Work sang "I Come From The
Land Down Under"

LOL!
Its a vegetable extract spread ... a thick black tar like substance which
only we Aussies seem to like

NOT true. We mad English types also do. Called Marmite. ;-)

... a bit of an acquired taste unless you
grew up on it

Setting DS off in fine fashion in that regard.
Tis a taste which can be re-established, I am discovering.

Now if I could just get my mitts on some of that new fine cut branston pickle,
life would be just ducky.

Dawn

Old August 21st 03, 02:38 AM
A&G&K

"Elfanie" wrote in message
My son nurses probably 3-4 times a day...
he also takes 6 ounces of 1/2 juice and 1/2 water, breakfast is
usually 1 cup of cheerios, lunch is usually a hamburger and a banana
or maybe a grilled cheese sandwhich and 4 oz of applesauce, or maybe 6
ounces of turkey cubes and 6oz cheese cubes with 4 ounces of
applesauce. Dinner is usually whatever we're eating at the
time....probably about 12-16 ounces worth of dinner.

He nurses first thing in the morning....once (sometimes twice) during
the day...then at night before going down to bed.

he will be 1 in a week and a half.

Stephanie Soderblom CLD CCCE CD(DONA) ICD
Mesa, AZ
Mommy to Mikael 5/9/95 - Kerstyn 8/6/99 - and Kevin 8/30/02
Student Midwife
Birth Doula / Childbirth Educator / Pregnancy and Birth Photography

http://www.birthdiaries.com - Birth Story Diaries=REAL BIRTHS = REAL

PHOTOS

OK Now I have a question for those in America ... what exactly are
"cheerios" ... that's what we call cocktail frankfurts! I'm presuming some
sort of breakfast cereal but is it crunchy or do you make it like porridge
(oatmeal)???? We have Nutragrain which is a crunchy breakfast cereal but
its full of sugar and no good for kids (but they love it).

DD doesn't eat anywhere near that much, but I have some more finger food
ideas so thanks
Amanda

Old August 21st 03, 04:08 AM
Cathy

Elfanie wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:38:14 +1000, "A&G&K"
wrote:

OK Now I have a question for those in America ... what exactly are
"cheerios" ...

I was literally just about to ask the same question myself! I was trying to
imagine 9 month old babies eating loads of cocktail sausages (and it being
good for them!). Isn't it great being on the other side of the world to
most people in this group!

Cathy (in New Zealand)

Old August 21st 03, 08:50 AM
A&G&K

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

A&G&K wrote:

"New York Jen" wrote in message
.net...
OK, I've always wanted to know this...what is "vegemite"?

Jen, been wondering since 8th grade when Men at Work sang "I Come From

The
Land Down Under"

LOL!
Its a vegetable extract spread ... a thick black tar like substance

which
only we Aussies seem to like

NOT true. We mad English types also do. Called Marmite. ;-)

... a bit of an acquired taste unless you
grew up on it

Setting DS off in fine fashion in that regard.
Tis a taste which can be re-established, I am discovering.

Now if I could just get my mitts on some of that new fine cut branston

pickle,
life would be just ducky.

Dawn

Oh yes - I had quite forgotten that the Brits like it too. We also have
similar spreads known as Promite and the new Aussiemite (brought out because
vegemite is foreign ... to Oz ... owned).

I've offered vegemite to visitors from Japan and Germany and it was not
well received
OTOH, my Aunt and Uncle have spent most of the last 35 years living in
developing countries where the acquisition of luxury food items was
difficult (actually it was often difficult just getting *some* food) and we
were often sent an SOS with a "please send us some vegemite". Mind you they
did that to us a couple of years back when they were living (briefly) in the
US

Cheers
Amanda

Old August 21st 03, 08:54 AM
A&G&K

wrote:

OK Now I have a question for those in America ... what exactly are
"cheerios" ...

I was literally just about to ask the same question myself! I was trying

imagine 9 month old babies eating loads of cocktail sausages (and it being
good for them!). Isn't it great being on the other side of the world to
most people in this group!

Cathy (in New Zealand)

LOL *snort*. I've had mental images of small babies eating the little
franks with a bit of tomato sauce too.

I shall have to check the website and see if we have anything remotely
similar here ... sounds nice

Amanda