childcare centre/nanny dilemma

Old July 15th 03, 04:18 PM
toto

Default childcare centre/nanny dilemma

On 15 Jul 2003 00:42:40 -0700, (Jean) wrote:

Dear all,

Previously, DD has been taken care by nanny, 7.30am to 7.30pm
daily as I am working. Starting this month, DD has been going to
a childcare centre for the morning session only. After lunch, the
nanny will fetch her. I will pick DD from nanny's home in the evening.

I am assuming that she turned 3 and is going to a preschool
type of program in a daycare?

The problems I am facing a

1) struggle every morning. DD refuse to go to childcare. Any
solution?

The same solutions here that you would use for a child if you
were home and taking her to preschool.

Changing a child's routine is often upsetting, but unless she
is an unusual child, she will begin to love her preschool as she
gets to have fun there doing things she can't do at the nanny's
home or at your own home.

Ask the nanny to arrange some playdates with some of
the other children from the school if possible. This will allow
your dd to have some special friends she likes who go to
school with her.

Make sure that you allow time in your morning routine to
cuddle her and give her some special time before you leave
for the childcare centre. If this means getting up a bit earlier,
then do that and build in a leisurely breakfast and a cuddle
and story before you go.

If you are rushing in and out when you get to the centre, try
slowing this down. Don't prolong the goodbyes, but do
settle her into an activity and tell her *mommy is leaving
after I do one puzzle with you* and then leave after you say
goodbye.

Ask her teachers if she can watch you leave from the window
and see if that helps. Or ask them what kinds of things they
think might help. Usually kids cry but settle quickly into the
routines.

2) Distraction from nanny when she visits school. DD will cry.

Kids often cry when they are picked up because the transitions
are difficult. It's a sign that they don't want to leave because
they are having fun.

Does nanny visit during the half-day? I would suggest that
she stop doing this and visit later in the year after your dd
has gottein into the routine. Pick up time should be the same
every day, preferrably just after a specific activity, like lunch
or nap or snack. This is especially true if no other children
are being picked up at this time. If there are many children
going home at the same time, then the transition is easier
because other mom's are coming also. It is quite hard for
children to be singled out if everyone else is staying for the
full day program.

3) Am thinking of putting her full day in childcare and do away
with the nanny. But not sure if she is able to cope considering her
current reaction towards childcare. My thought is that without the
nanny attachment, probably she will be able to adjust and focus on the
childcare environment and get adjusted soon. Please comment. For
working moms, how long did you child take to adjust to childcare
centre.

The amount of time that children take to adjust is quite variable
And you can expect beginning of the year adjustments if she
changes classes as well, depending on her temperament and
her comfort level with the center.

Thank you in advance.

Jean

I have taught in a daycare program that had preschool classrooms.
Three year olds take more time to adjust than fours and twos take
more time than threes in general.

The important thing to realize is that a consistent routine is what
helps them adjust more quickly and the teachers at the centre
have a big role to play in the adjustment as well.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits