Mark this Indiana Story in the History of Journalism.

Old October 26th 07, 12:30 PM posted to alt.child-support
[email protected]

Default Mark this Indiana Story in the History of Journalism.

As I live and breath, ladies and gentleman:

Deadbeat Moms - An I-Team 8 Special Investigation

Oct 25, 2007 11:00 PM

By Pam Elliot
24-Hour News 8 at 11:00 p.m.

MARION COUNTY, Ind. - We're all familiar with prosecutors going after
deadbeat dads, but what about the thousands of moms who don't pay
their child support?

I-Team 8's Pam Elliot tracked down the worst offenders in Marion
County.

We're not talking about a few hundred dollars in back child support,
we found some moms who owe more than $50,000.

And when they're not supporting their kids, it's left to you the
taxpayer to take care of their children.

"Have the warrant? Deputy Fields: Yes," said Deputy Brian Kotarski.

Marion County warrant deputies go out before dawn.

"Police open the door," said Deputy Kotarski.

Everyday, these officers look for parents who have failed to pay child
support and have skirted a judge. Among them, wanted moms.

Deputy Kotarski said, "We get them all the time."

Deputy Kotarski believes in this case the woman is inside, but he
can't force his way in because he's only serving a civil warrant.

"It's just part of the job, nobody answering the door it happens
everyday," said Deputy Kotarski. "Hello, Sheriff's Department."

While deputies knock on doors.

Another mother who the state says owes 50-thousand dollars, fails to
show up for court. As a result, a copy of this letter went out to
Carla Whitney letting her know a bench warrant has been issued for her
arrest.

"It's frustrating for everyone," said Chief Deputy Prosecutor John
Owens who oversees the Marion County Child Support Division.

I-Team 8 obtained a list of mothers who are years behind in paying
child support in Marion County. At the top of the list is Tina Dixon.

She now goes by Tina Iannotti and lives in Connecticut. She served
time there for failing to live up to her responsibilities. Indiana
said she owes nearly $70,000 in back child support. Her attorney
disputes that figure, but he won't speak, nor will he allow her to
speak with I-team 8.

"Someone has to consciously and willfully neglect paying child support
to get to those kind of numbers," said Owens.

I-Team 8's Pam Elliot asked the question, "Would you say you are as
aggressive prosecuting women as you are men?"

Owens said, "We don't look at cases in terms of who is the person and
what is the gender. We look at cases in terms of how much child
support is supposed to be paid."

Next to Tina Dixon, records show Nikia Lee is the most delinquent in
paying child support in Marion County, $62,000 in arrears. Court
records list an Illinois phone number for her. In Indiana there's an
active bench warrant for her arrest. Already the state has suspended
her driver's license.

Then there's Tammy Cartwright. I-team 8 found her in Florida.

Cartwright said, "Her kids never wanted for anything." She said she
probably owes a couple thousand. The state has Cartwright owing
$56,000.

Attorneys said fathers are reluctant to go after child support.
They're just happy to have custody of their children, but you as a
taxpayer have a stake in this too.

Research shows when children receive the child support they're due,
they are less likely to need public assistance.

John Owens said his office is on track to collect close to 95-million
dollars in child support this year. His budget is just under 5-million
dollars and two-thirds of it is reimbursed by the federal government.
The state said there's no better return on an investment.

"We have a lot of cases where what we do on a weekly basis makes a
difference," said Owens.

But it's not an easy task to hold mothers and fathers accountable

The day I-team 8 rode along with warrant deputies they arrested only
one deadbeat parent.

Attorney Tammy Morog sees judges more frequently putting deadbeat
parents in jail when they can be found.

"The courts are becoming more and more burdened with domestic cases.
Whether I'm mediating or whether I'm an attorney it's not going to go
away," said Morog.

Old October 26th 07, 06:26 PM posted to alt.child-support
[email protected]

On Oct 26, 7:30 am, " wrote:
[...]

Oh lawdy-everyone know only men are NCP's and only women get child
support

It's not bitt and K-fed, so what excuse will the DBP crew come up with
thins time, and will they have proof as they so ask everybody else for
but never providing any of their own?

Old October 26th 07, 07:49 PM posted to alt.child-support
DB

wrote in

We're not talking about a few hundred dollars in back child support,
we found some moms who owe more than $50,000.

Where's the dead head saying these dead beat females should be in Jail?
Why don't they support their Children? LOL

And when they're not supporting their kids, it's left to you the
taxpayer to take care of their children.

More government propaganda, the people pay taxes to CSE agencies regardless!

While deputies knock on doors.

Should read, while $80,000 dollar Deputies knock on the doors of poor
people, the real criminals are knocking down doors and stealing property. So
much for Serve and Protect!

"Someone has to consciously and willfully neglect paying child support
to get to those kind of numbers," said Owens.

Doesn't take long to build up a massive debt when the payments are so high!

I-Team 8's Pam Elliot asked the question, "Would you say you are as
aggressive prosecuting women as you are men?"

Owens said, "We don't look at cases in terms of who is the person and
what is the gender. We look at cases in terms of how much child
support is supposed to be paid."

They get a commission regardless of gender!

Attorneys said fathers are reluctant to go after child support.
They're just happy to have custody of their children, but you as a
taxpayer have a stake in this too.

Since when does the government care about the tax payer?
Spending A trillion the Taxpayer doesn't have!

Research shows when children receive the child support they're due,
they are less likely to need public assistance.

It's chump change, who cares?

John Owens said his office is on track to collect close to 95-million
dollars in child support this year. His budget is just under 5-million
dollars and two-thirds of it is reimbursed by the federal government.
The state said there's no better return on an investment.

Good deal, spend 5 million to get paid $60 Million in return, it's all tax
payer money anyway!

"We have a lot of cases where what we do on a weekly basis makes a
difference," said Owens.

Coming from someone that depends on the C$ system for a living!

The day I-team 8 rode along with warrant deputies they arrested only
one deadbeat parent.

Yea, probably a guy working in a warehouse at minimum wage!

Attorney Tammy Morog sees judges more frequently putting deadbeat
parents in jail when they can be found.

They think they can out law poverty!

"The courts are becoming more and more burdened with domestic cases.
Whether I'm mediating or whether I'm an attorney it's not going to go
away," said Morog.

She's right, it's going to get much bigger than they can handle! :-)

Old October 27th 07, 06:45 PM posted to alt.child-support
Kenneth S.

The report below needs to be put in perspective.

If the report were balanced, it would include a paragraph giving the
overall proportions of mothers and fathers who have custody. It would call
attention to the glass ceiling on paternal custody. However, it isn't a
balanced piece at all, and it's shallow in the extreme. It's little more
than a way of helping the Marion County child support agency to spread the
smokescreen that their activities do not discriminate against men.

Such agencies are always delighted to find some freak case where they
are going after a non-custodial mother. For example, a few years
agoVirginia introduced a program to remove the driver's licenses of
nonpayers of "child support." They managed to find a non-custodial mother
who wasn't paying, and--with a blaze of publicity--made her the first person
to have a license suspended.

It can only be a matter of time before some state child support agency
puts up a statue of a deadbeat mother in front of their headquarters. It's
that important to them.

You can depend upon it that Mizz Elliott, of the I-Team 8, didn't just
stumble across this particular story. The PR person from the CS agency
called her up and told her that these police raids were about to take place,
and they even had some women on their list. However, if you look at the
state of Indiana's list of the ten most wanted "parents" who are not paying
their CS, you will find there is only one woman (see
http://www.in.gov/dcs/support/mostwanted/index.html). Also, look at the
Marion County prosecutor's website for an indication of how he panders to
feminists. In particular, see
http://www.indygov.org/eGov/County/P...dbeat+Dads.htm, which
notably doesn't mention mothers.

And in how many cases where mothers owe money, do they owe it to the
fathers? My guess is that many of them owe it someone else who has custody.

ps.com...

Old October 29th 07, 04:22 AM posted to alt.child-support
Chris

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Any fool can see that this is merely a publicity stunt to say "Hey, we are
not biased against fathers because see we go after mothers too".
To fall for this kind of reasoning, you might as well rush out and buy a
lottery ticket. After all, people who buy tickets win.

Regardless, it is just as wrong to extort "child support" from mothers as it
is fathers!

Old October 29th 07, 07:04 PM posted to alt.child-support
arabella

wrote:
[...]

Any parent thet doesn't support their children deserve jail time.

Old October 29th 07, 07:39 PM posted to alt.child-support
DB

"arabella" u38656@uwe wrote in

Any parent thet doesn't support their children deserve jail time.

Does that include all Americans that have lost their jobs to outsourcing,
downsizing and the other 2 million jobs that were lost last year in the
labor market?

How about accident victims and the countless people that fall victim to
illness, should they be incarcerated too?

How long to you want to jail people that can't afford the high government
rates they set for CS?

Do you want other strangers opinions forced on you?

Old October 29th 07, 07:57 PM posted to alt.child-support
arabella

DB wrote:
"arabella" u38656@uwe wrote in

Any parent thet doesn't support their children deserve jail time.

Does that include all Americans that have lost their jobs to outsourcing,
downsizing and the other 2 million jobs that were lost last year in the
labor market?

How about accident victims and the countless people that fall victim to
illness, should they be incarcerated too?

How long to you want to jail people that can't afford the high government
rates they set for CS?

Do you want other strangers opinions forced on you?

Does that include all Americans that have lost their jobs to outsourcing,
downsizing and the other 2 million jobs that were lost last year in the
labor market?

A parent does anything to take care of their kids, so where there is a will
there is a way.

How about accident victims and the countless people that fall victim to
illness, should they be incarcerated too?

Accident victims usually get settlements. People who are sick should make it
be known they are sick, and unable to pay and support their kids.

Do you want other strangers opinions forced on you?

If you have planned to force you opinion on me, good luck, I don't bend easy.
I don't have kids of my own, but I feel for people who do it on their own
because the other parent is too much of a scab to take care of business.

My question to you is why are you against child support?

Old October 29th 07, 08:47 PM posted to alt.child-support
DB

"arabella" u38656@uwe wrote in message news:7a6e0262c1f92@uwe...
DB wrote:
[...]

Who said I was against child support?

I don't believe in the large amounts of Child support that the government
demands people to pay!
There needs to be a dollar amount ceiling on actual cost.

How would you like being forced to pay 50% of what you take home each week?

Old October 29th 07, 10:04 PM posted to alt.child-support
arabella via FamilyKB.com

DB wrote:
"arabella" u38656@uwe wrote in

[quoted text clipped - 35 lines]

My question to you is why are you against child support?

Who said I was against child support?

I don't believe in the large amounts of Child support that the government
demands people to pay!
There needs to be a dollar amount ceiling on actual cost.

How would you like being forced to pay 50% of what you take home each week?

I do agree that there should be a limit as to how much a person is expected
to pay. It should go by how much money they make.

How would you like being forced to pay 50% of what you take home each week?

I can't answer that because it has never happened to me. I think parents
spend more than 50% of what they make on their children.

Indiana needs your emails bif Child Support 0 January 28th 05 07:18 AM
Don't need any more FC in Indiana. Relatives here Fern5827 Foster Parents 0 November 29th 04 07:52 PM
indiana Child Support 0 September 28th 04 05:01 AM
Duke Univ. students to change history (obstetric history)? Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 June 10th 04 06:31 PM
Indiana john bravo Child Support 0 March 15th 04 03:39 AM