Excuse me????????????

Old December 1st 05, 01:17 AM posted to alt.child-support

Default Excuse me????????????

"Chris" wrote in message

"Beverly" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:23:32 GMT, "Moon Shyne"
wrote:

"Beverly" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:15:43 -0800, "Chris" wrote:

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Chris" wrote in message

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Chris" wrote in message

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Gini" wrote in message

"Moon Shyne" wrote
"Beverly" wrote

Were particular weekends specified in your visitation?

By date? No, aside from his b'day and father's day - it
was
wide
open,
anytime he wanted to see them.
====
Didn't you take him to court to require him to stick with
the
visitation
times or give you advanced notice
of time changes?

Only after he had repeatedly cancelled at the last minute any
number
of
weekends - like a year's worth of last minute cancellations?
And even then, the only specifications were every other

weekend,
and
other
times as requested -

Do you believe that a child should spend an equal amount of
time
with
both
parents? If not, why not?

There is no blanket answer to that one - in the case of one
parent
who
simply refuses to take part in the children's lives, for example,
then
equal
time simply isn't available. In the case of one parent who is
abusive,
for
example, equal time isn't reasonable or safe.

In that case, NO time is reasonable or safe, no?

Which case? More than one was mentioned.

In the case of the one immediately before my question; "In the case of

one
parent who is abusive, for example, equal time isn't reasonable or

safe.".

Wouldn't that depend on the type of abuse (child vs. spousal)?

I dunno - when it comes to children, just what sort of, or how much,

abuse
is acceptable?

Absolutely no type of abuse is ever acceptable, but I was agreeing
with you and responding to Chris's comment "In that case, NO time is
reasonable or safe, no?"

It simply isn't as black and white as Chris's comment.

Either time is reasonable/safe or it is NOT reasonable/safe. What's not
black and white about that?

Neither one works in ALL cases - that's what's so gray about it.

Some people
who have been abusive seek treatment when their behavior causes them
to lose the most precious thing in their life, like a family.

Alcoholics, for instance, can be abusive; however, once clean and
sober through treatment, can be very safe to allow children to be
with. A pedophile, on the other hand, cannot be treated in a way that
makes them safe with children.

"Safe" being a matter of opinion.

Would you let a pedophile babysit your child?

Old December 1st 05, 01:21 AM posted to alt.child-support

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Gini" wrote in message

[...]

Wouldn't that depend on the type of abuse (child vs. spousal)? Or
whether or not the abusive person has a mental illness which can be
controlled (anger issues vs. pedophilia)?

You tell me. Can you give me an example where some, but not equal, amount
of
time is reasonable or safe?

In the case of a parent who has absented themself from their children's
lives for any extended period of time, a shorter amount of time together,
like a one day 'daytrip' or visit, would be far more reasonable then an
extended amount of time, like a week-long visit.

There's your example.

Old December 1st 05, 02:01 AM posted to alt.child-support

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Gini" wrote in message

[...]

So...the solution to lack of parenting time is to reduce the parenting time?
===

Old December 1st 05, 06:04 AM posted to alt.child-support

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:20:35 -0800, "Chris" wrote:

"Beverly" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:23:32 GMT, "Moon Shyne"
wrote:

.. .

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Gini" wrote in message

[...]

Sometimes an abusive parent can spend a limited amount of time with
their child with supervision. That would be SOME time that is
reasonable and safe. It would be UNREASONABLE to have equal time if
one of the parents needs supervision.

Other times, there may be situations in which the parent abused the
spouse but may be perfectly okay with the children in small doses of
time.

Some people
who have been abusive seek treatment when their behavior causes them
to lose the most precious thing in their life, like a family.

Alcoholics, for instance, can be abusive; however, once clean and
sober through treatment, can be very safe to allow children to be
with. A pedophile, on the other hand, cannot be treated in a way that
makes them safe with children.

"Safe" being a matter of opinion.

"Safe" is almost always a matter of opinion. Chances are, if a parent
is abusive and the children are at risk, child protection is involved
and will make a determination regarding "safe."

Both conditions are considered
incurable and both can be treated, but whereas an alcoholic's
treatment consists of avoiding alcohol, a pedophile's treatment
consists of avoiding children. These are just examples.

Wouldn't that be more accurately stated "an alcoholic's treatment consists
of avoiding (the abuse of) alcohol, a pedophile's treatment consists of
avoiding (the abuse of) children"?

Actually no. Alcoholics are taught to avoid situations where alcohol
is even around to avoid the temptation. Alcoholics cannot drink a
little, avoiding the abuse, and remain "on the wagon." Pedophiles in
treatment are taught to avoid situations where children will be for
the same reasons. This is exactly why convicted pedophiles have such
stringent rules on where they may live post incarceration such as a
certain distance from any school or other places where children are
likely to be. They may never be employed in a place that caters to
children. The goal is no contact with children whatsoever, but it is
certainly harder to avoid children than it is to avoid alcohol.

Or
whether or not the abusive person has a mental illness which can be
controlled (anger issues vs. pedophilia)?

It would have to be on a case
by case basis.

And who would be the judge?

By whomever is determing the amount of time spent with each parent, I
suppose - with the general theory that if the parents can agree,

great,
and
if they can't or won't agree, then it goes through the legal paces.

I'm sure you can work out your own ideas on this one, Chris.

I don't think I ever said no to any request to see the
kids, with the exception of one mother's day when he called

just
before
lunch, and we were heading out, having already made plans for

the
day.

====

Old December 1st 05, 11:32 AM posted to alt.child-support

"Gini" wrote in message

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Gini" wrote in message

[...]

That *certainly* wasn't the question I was answering. Chris asked for an
example where some, but not equal, time was reasonable, and I answered.

Old December 1st 05, 12:59 PM posted to alt.child-support

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Chris" wrote in message
> [...]

snip

In the case of a parent who has absented themself from their children's
lives for any extended period of time, a shorter amount of time together,
like a one day 'daytrip' or visit, would be far more reasonable then an
extended amount of time, like a week-long visit.

There's your example.

====
So...the solution to lack of parenting time is to reduce the parenting
time?
===

As an example (and Teachermom, I apologize for dragging you into this) -
Teach has posted about how her husband was notified that he had a 13 year
old child. Child doesn't know dad, doesn't have any relationship with dad.
Dad doesn't know child, doesn't have any relationship with child.

Do you think it's reasonable to simply have child come live with dad for a
week or longer, or is it more reasonable to have a shorter amount of time,
like a one day visit?

Old December 1st 05, 06:21 PM posted to alt.child-support

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Gini" wrote in message

[...]

YUP! Just like the solution to marital relationships is a legal separation.
LOL

===

Old December 2nd 05, 03:12 AM posted to alt.child-support

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Gini" wrote in message

[...]

I was making reference to the "abusive" parent. (see above)
And to clarify matters, when you said "abusive", I thought it was implied
that such abuse was CHILD abuse.
Hence, my question.

There's your example.

Old December 2nd 05, 03:12 AM posted to alt.child-support

"Beverly" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:23:32 GMT, "Moon Shyne"
wrote:

.. .

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Gini" wrote in message

[...]

Strawman. The discussion is NOT about "all" cases; it is about ANY case. And
the fact remains that either time is reasonable/safe or it is NOT
reasonable/safe in EVERY case. There is no third option. Black and white.

that's what's so gray about it.

Some people
who have been abusive seek treatment when their behavior causes them
to lose the most precious thing in their life, like a family.

Alcoholics, for instance, can be abusive; however, once clean and
sober through treatment, can be very safe to allow children to be
with. A pedophile, on the other hand, cannot be treated in a way that
makes them safe with children.

"Safe" being a matter of opinion.

Would you let a pedophile babysit your child?

The answer to such question is irrelevant. "Safe" STILL is a matter of
opinion.

Old December 2nd 05, 03:13 AM posted to alt.child-support

"Beverly" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:20:35 -0800, "Chris" wrote:

"Beverly" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:23:32 GMT, "Moon Shyne"
wrote:

.. .

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Gini" wrote in message

[...]

Why?

Other times, there may be situations in which the parent abused the
spouse but may be perfectly okay with the children in small doses of
time.

Why not equal?

Some people
who have been abusive seek treatment when their behavior causes them
to lose the most precious thing in their life, like a family.

Alcoholics, for instance, can be abusive; however, once clean and
sober through treatment, can be very safe to allow children to be
with. A pedophile, on the other hand, cannot be treated in a way that
makes them safe with children.

"Safe" being a matter of opinion.

"Safe" is almost always a matter of opinion. Chances are, if a parent
is abusive and the children are at risk, child protection is involved
and will make a determination regarding "safe."

Aint' THAT a shame!

Both conditions are considered
incurable and both can be treated, but whereas an alcoholic's
treatment consists of avoiding alcohol, a pedophile's treatment
consists of avoiding children. These are just examples.

Wouldn't that be more accurately stated "an alcoholic's treatment

consists
of avoiding (the abuse of) alcohol, a pedophile's treatment consists of
avoiding (the abuse of) children"?

Actually no. Alcoholics are taught to avoid situations where alcohol
is even around to avoid the temptation. Alcoholics cannot drink a
little, avoiding the abuse, and remain "on the wagon."

Yes they can. They can also choose to resist the temptation.

Pedophiles in
treatment are taught to avoid situations where children will be for
the same reasons. This is exactly why convicted pedophiles have such
stringent rules on where they may live post incarceration such as a
certain distance from any school or other places where children are
likely to be. They may never be employed in a place that caters to
children. The goal is no contact with children whatsoever, but it is
certainly harder to avoid children than it is to avoid alcohol.

Irrelevant. A pedophile can be around children and choose to NOT abuse them.

Excuse me, Mary????? laurie Pregnancy 18 January 30th 04 01:41 PM
can someone give me some advice? Krystle N Pregnancy 42 January 21st 04 04:38 PM
| | Kids should work... Kane Foster Parents 3 December 9th 03 12:53 AM
Researchers admit spanking behavior not rigorously tested Fern5827 Spanking 6 August 2nd 03 06:43 PM
Excuse Me???? Researchers admit spanking behavior notrigorously tested Doan General 0 July 10th 03 06:21 AM