store brand formula (x-posted)

Old November 17th 03, 06:16 PM
ted

Default store brand formula (x-posted)

I'm supplementing my baby with formula while bfing at nights. I was
wondering if there's any difference between the branded
(Enfamil,similac etc) and the store brand (Kirkland @ Costco). DH and
I compared the ingredients listed on the tin. The quantities are
exactly the same.
Anyways, there's a 30% difference in price. I don't know if it's ok to
buy the Kirkland Supreme versus the Enfamil.

Has anyone used the store brand and how do you feel?

Thanks.
Old November 17th 03, 10:48 PM
Michelle Podnar

I don't have an answer for you, but here is another group that deals with
formula feeders, they are probably very knowledgable in this area...

--
Michelle P
Ava Marie July 14, 2002
om...

Old November 18th 03, 01:26 AM
Carolyn

Just something I noticed in the Globe and Mail on Tuesday - you can never be
to sure what is (or isn't) in formula no matter what it says on the can.
Israel investigates baby-formula deaths

Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - Page A22

Jerusalem -- Israel opened a criminal investigation yesterday into
suspicions that the deaths of two babies were linked to a German-made,
soy-based formula pulled off Israeli store shelves and found to lack an
essential vitamin.

The Israeli Health Ministry said the kosher product -- made by the German
firm Humana GmbH -- caused a B-1 vitamin deficiency that led to inflammatory
or degenerative changes of the nerves, digestive system and heart. At a news
conference in Germany, Humana chief Rolf Janshen said the formula recipe was
unique to Israel and insisted that no other markets were affected. Reuters

om...

Old November 18th 03, 03:06 AM
C&J

Oh my goodness, they are talking about in different countrys. I seen one of
those shows like 20/20 or 60 minutes or something like that not to long ago
and they were talking about the exact same thing and there was no difference
in the formulas! Next time you are at the store compare the formulas and
decide for yourself

Crystal
12/26/03

"Carolyn" wrote in message
[...]

om...

Old November 18th 03, 03:39 AM
Plissken

"C&J" wrote in message
t...
Oh my goodness, they are talking about in different countrys.

Just because it happened in one country doesn't mean it can't happen in
another.

Nadene

Old November 18th 03, 03:42 AM
Chotii

"ted" wrote in message
om...

"Carolyn" wrote in message

"C&J" wrote in message
t...

[...]

I think you're missing the point, innocently or deliberately.

What difference does it make that the formula in question was made in a
different country? It was made in Germany, and the last time I checked they
were a modern company. In the USA there have been *plenty* of recalls of
formula, usually for contamination, mis-labeling or counterfeiting. Do a
Google search on 'infant formula recalls' if you don't believe me. The
labels don't tell you everything. They can't. All you're doing is comparing
labels and trusting that they're not only accurate, but safe. Usually, of
course, they are. But there have been way too many recalls to believe this
is always the case.

--angela

Old November 18th 03, 04:27 AM
C&J

"Chotii" wrote in message

"ted" wrote in message
om...

"Carolyn" wrote in message

"C&J" wrote in message
t...

[...]

I got the point!

I hope no one throws a fit about the all caps, I cut and pasted.

Crystal
Generic Vs Brand Name Baby Formula, Airport Scanning Equipment, Expiration
Dates on Canned Goods
Q: VIEWER NOTICED A DRASTIC PRICE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN NAME BRAND AND GENERIC
BABY FORMULAS. HE WANTS TO KNOW IF THERE'S A NUTRITIONAL DIFFERENCE?

A: WE WENT TO THE F-D-A WITH YOUR QUESTION. IT SAYS WHEN IT COMES TO INFANT
FORMULA, THERE HAS TO BE A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF NUTRIENTS IN THE FORMULA.
THEREFORE, THERE IS NO SUBSTANTIAL DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GENERIC AND NAME BRAND
BECAUSE EACH MUST HAVE THE REQUIRED VITAMINS.

http://www.nbc4.com/answerstoaskliz2...69/detail.html

Here's another:

Are Store-Brand Formulas as Good?
http://www.americanbaby.com/ab/story...aby.xml&page=2

Old November 18th 03, 06:18 AM
Ali's Daddie

"ted" wrote in message
om...
| I'm supplementing my baby with formula while bfing at nights. I was
| wondering if there's any difference between the branded
| (Enfamil,similac etc) and the store brand (Kirkland @ Costco). DH and
| I compared the ingredients listed on the tin. The quantities are
| exactly the same.
| Anyways, there's a 30% difference in price. I don't know if it's ok to
| buy the Kirkland Supreme versus the Enfamil.
|
| Has anyone used the store brand and how do you feel?
|
| Thanks.

We originally used the expensive stuff. But after some comparison in
nutrition, we chose a store brand. We save about $6 per can (more really
because the store brand comes in larger cans than the name brand)

Alegra has never had any problems with it, and her Pediatrician said that
it's fine (for Alegra) so the store brand worked for us.

I personally don't see paying an extra $6 for a name. Especially if the
nutrition value on the store brand is the same (or better) than the name
brand. But then I am probably a bit more frugal (ok, I'm CHEAP lol) than
most people.

--
LES!

Daddie to Alegra Lee. May 25th 2003!
"Daddie's Little Diva"

To send me an email, please remove your hat
YourHatDaddie at bonbon.net

Old November 18th 03, 08:31 AM
Marie

"Ali's Daddie" wrote in message
SNIP

Alegra has never had any problems with it, and her Pediatrician said that
it's fine (for Alegra) so the store brand worked for us.

I think the key phrase here is "for Allegra." Every baby is different, and
different formulas will be tolerated in different ways by each baby.

That said, when our boys were being discharged from the hospital (they spent
their first 5 wks there because they were preemies) the NICU's dietician
told us there was really no difference, nutritionally, between the various
brands.

One thought for the OP: talk to the store manager and find out who makes
the store brand for them. That will tell you what "brand" of formula you're
really getting. Other than that, try a can--your babe will soon tell you if
it's a formula she likes :-)

Marie
Chris and Alex--born 04/23/03 at 31wks gestational :-)
Meet the Kidlets at http://ca.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/mmcw2

Old November 18th 03, 01:26 PM
Liz S. Reynolds

In article ,
C&J wrote:
Oh my goodness, they are talking about in different countrys. I seen one of
those shows like 20/20 or 60 minutes or something like that not to long ago
and they were talking about the exact same thing and there was no difference
in the formulas! Next time you are at the store compare the formulas and
decide for yourself

As it turns out that formula was exported to the US, it's apparently
popular in Orthodox neighborhoods around NYC although I haven't heard of
any cases of sick babies because of it yet. It was in the news big time
around here the other week.

-Liz