Year round schools

Old November 10th 03, 05:30 PM
Joni Rathbun

Default Year round schools

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Ericka Kammerer wrote:

toto wrote:

And? If these programs are intensive and at the high school level,
why not give the kids both high school and college credit for them
instead of having them attend a regular high school at all?

Because as lovely as they are, they are pure performing
arts with no academics, and high schoolers still have to get
in their basic academics somewhere.

My hs daughter takes academic classes at the community college
and receives both hs and college credit.

Old November 10th 03, 09:49 PM
Donna Metler

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
toto wrote:

And? If these programs are intensive and at the high school level,
why not give the kids both high school and college credit for them
instead of having them attend a regular high school at all?

Because as lovely as they are, they are pure performing
arts with no academics, and high schoolers still have to get
in their basic academics somewhere.

And most students can't commute between several states for such a program.
There's a big difference between paying for your child to fly to Michigan
once from Va, and to do it every few weeks for a year!

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old November 10th 03, 10:21 PM
P. Tierney

"Patti M." wrote in message

My son is in year round school in North Carolina. The year round schools

in
North Carolina are optional. You are not forced to be on a year round
schedule.

I should've noted that ours are too. We have school choice anyway,
but whenever a school has gone year-round, students (as well as teachers)
have the option of going elsewhere. Few do, since the decision is never
imposed from "above", but with input and approval from both the
faculty and parent bodies.

Some of the elementaty schools have also chosen to add up to 20
days to their school year. In each case, it was a school with low
achievement levels, in one form or another.

P. Tierney

Old November 10th 03, 10:26 PM
P. Tierney

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote:

If it became the norm, the *opportunities* would adjust and
change to serve the population. While the transition might
be awkward, I think it would be pretty short if the entire
country began to do year round schooling.

Really? I don't think it would be all that easy.

It would be very difficult for such camps that are not
local to do such things. Local camps, and colleges, can
do so, but year-round schedules in my state even differ
from county to county. Local control precludes forcing
them to adapt a statewide schedule format. It would be
too much to think that it could be adapted across state
lines.

Also, though the local public and private schools
coordinate their dates fairly respectably, I can't see
the local upper class high schools, for example,
adapting to a year round schedule.

P. Tierney

Old November 11th 03, 12:44 AM
ColoradoSkiBum

: Sorry to follow up my own post, but a thought occurred to me that
: perhaps, the schools would be able to give teachers sabbaticals

I don't know very many teachers who can afford to take a sabbatical.
--
ColoradoSkiBum
Old November 11th 03, 12:53 AM
toto

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 17:44:56 -0700, "ColoradoSkiBum"
wrote:

: Sorry to follow up my own post, but a thought occurred to me that
: perhaps, the schools would be able to give teachers sabbaticals

I don't know very many teachers who can afford to take a sabbatical.
--

I am thinking here of paid sabbaticals for certain kinds of
educational experiences. It is rare, but it is done here on

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old November 11th 03, 12:15 PM
Barbara Bomberger

On 09 Nov 2003 18:17:10 GMT, (GI Trekker) wrote:

4. What are the benefits of year-round school?

Disadvantages: Insuffient time off to let kids be kids, forcing them into a
year-round (even with breaks) stressful schedule of near-constant schooling.
Just because adults pack themselves into a work cublicle nearly 24/7/365 is no
reason to force kids to do the same with a school desk. But then I think our
modern society has no real place for genuine children -- just adults that act
like them. Not that I think the public school system is a fit place for a child
regardless of the school system's schedule.

You know, they have basically the same amount of breaks and the same
amount of school days. They are not working 24/7. How much have you
read on this?

I personally would be in favor of it for my kids. This is after
living in the German system, were summer is a little over a month,
BUT, they get two and a half weeks for fall vacation, three plus weeks
for "winter vacation, and so on throughout the year.

I feel that kids probably do better with shorter breaks that are more
often. How much of the school year each year is spent on review from
the previous year, because so many kids have done nothing for ten
weeks.

Also, I dont know about your kids, but until they started working, my
children were always, always bored by the beginning of August, and
already having conversations about what they were going to wear to the
first day of school and so on.

Barb

Old November 13th 03, 09:32 PM
Rosalie B.

wrote:

: Sorry to follow up my own post, but a thought occurred to me that
: perhaps, the schools would be able to give teachers sabbaticals

In your dreams.

Even my dad who was medical school faculty only got one sabbatical in
his teaching life which spanned 40 some years. And that year he got a
fellowship so he would be paid. When he had a grant to go and give a
paper at two international congresses (one in Paris and one in Oxford
- France and England not in the US) he had to work two jobs in order
to afford to go if he was to take his family.

If they can't even fund classroom teachers, they are unlikely to give
sabbaticals especially for 'frill' areas.

I don't know very many teachers who can afford to take a sabbatical.
--

I am thinking here of paid sabbaticals for certain kinds of
educational experiences. It is rare, but it is done here on
occasion.

grandma Rosalie
Old November 14th 03, 12:52 AM
Bruce and Jeanne

wrote:

[...]

Like Rosalie, my dad (Ivy League faculty member) only had one or two
sabbaticals during his career. The first sabbatical occurred before I
was born and the second sabbatical occurred the year after I graduated
from college. But because it had been so long since his first one, he
got full pay for the full year. Ordinarily, faculty either got full pay
for half year or half pay for the full year during their sabbaticals.
Most of the faculty members I knew who took sabbaticals often had
research grants to offset the pay decrease.

When I worked for a school system (in administration), I was able to get
an unpaid educational leave of absence to go to graduate school that was
then extended a second year. Teachers could get unpaid leave of
absences (up to a year) for other reasons (e.g., maternity) as well.
The trick to these leaves of absence was to get funding on your own. I
got a fellowship for graduate school so the unpaid part was taken care
of.

Jeanne