idea for teachers

Old November 9th 03, 01:16 PM
Vicki S

Default idea for teachers

http://www.badads.org/teachers.shtml

if you teach (classroom, homeschool, whatever) you might want to check
out some education ideas at this anti advertising site.

sorry if this is really old newas and i just missed it.
--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995
Old November 10th 03, 07:54 PM
Clisby

Vicki S wrote:
http://www.badads.org/teachers.shtml

if you teach (classroom, homeschool, whatever) you might want to check
out some education ideas at this anti advertising site.

sorry if this is really old newas and i just missed it.
--
-- Vicki

Have you ever seen: http://pbskids.org/dontbuyit

Clisby

Old November 11th 03, 02:47 AM
Vicki S

Vicki S wrote:
http://www.badads.org/teachers.shtml

Have you ever seen: http://pbskids.org/dontbuyit
Clisby

Thanks for the tip! Very cool site!

Old November 11th 03, 03:31 AM
ColoradoSkiBum

As a science teacher, my favorite site is Bad Science.

http://www.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/BadScience.html
--
ColoradoSkiBum

Old November 11th 03, 03:34 AM
ColoradoSkiBum

Oh and I almost forgot, my favorite site for teaching web design (for all
you home-schoolers who are teaching your kids HTML :-):

http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/

--
ColoradoSkiBum

Old November 11th 03, 10:07 PM
Clisby

ColoradoSkiBum wrote:
As a science teacher, my favorite site is Bad Science.

http://www.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/BadScience.html

I heard (second-hand) about a parent touring an Atlanta high school who
stopped to take in a little of a chemistry class.

One of the students asked the teacher why the elements were in that
particular order on the element chart.

The teacher replied, "That's the order in which they were discovered."

This is so mind-boggling that I'm thinking it's sort of an urben legend.
Or could it be true?

Clisby

Old November 12th 03, 12:29 AM
ColoradoSkiBum

"Clisby" wrote in message
:
:
: ColoradoSkiBum wrote:
: As a science teacher, my favorite site is Bad Science.
:
: http://www.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/BadScience.html
:
:
: I heard (second-hand) about a parent touring an Atlanta high school who
: stopped to take in a little of a chemistry class.
:
: One of the students asked the teacher why the elements were in that
: particular order on the element chart.
:
: The teacher replied, "That's the order in which they were discovered."
:
: This is so mind-boggling that I'm thinking it's sort of an urben legend.
: Or could it be true?

NO WAY!!! At a high school? I can't see how that would be possible.
MAYBE at an elementary school if the teacher had had *NO* science training
(and many of them haven't). But in a high school chemistry class?

BTW I don't think that one would even make the "bad science" web site!

--
ColoradoSkiBum

Old November 12th 03, 12:30 AM
ColoradoSkiBum

Oh and another one, I almost forgot my favorite site--Optical Illusions!!!
www.sandlotscience.com

This is the only web assignment I've ever given where I didn't even have to
give a specific assignment--I just took my kids to the computer lab and told
them to check it out. Most of them logged on again from home just to play
around!
--
ColoradoSkiBum

Old November 12th 03, 02:46 AM
toto

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 17:29:02 -0700, "ColoradoSkiBum"
wrote:

NO WAY!!! At a high school? I can't see how that would be possible.
MAYBE at an elementary school if the teacher had had *NO* science training
(and many of them haven't). But in a high school chemistry class?

BTW I don't think that one would even make the "bad science" web site!

Might have been a teacher who was teaching off certificate, I suppose.

There really is no excuse for that though. If s/he did not know, s/he
certainly should not have answered.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old November 12th 03, 09:24 AM
Clisby

wrote:

NO WAY!!! At a high school? I can't see how that would be possible.
MAYBE at an elementary school if the teacher had had *NO* science training
(and many of them haven't). But in a high school chemistry class?

BTW I don't think that one would even make the "bad science" web site!

Might have been a teacher who was teaching off certificate, I suppose.

There really is no excuse for that though. If s/he did not know, s/he
certainly should not have answered.

I can't believe I didn't even think of that as a possible explanation -
yeah, if it's true, it could be a somebody teaching out of field.

Clisby