fruit juices for babies versus adults ( solids)

Old September 24th 03, 03:30 PM
Naomi Pardue

Default fruit juices for babies versus adults ( solids)

Not to mention canned veggies in the store are loaded with sodium
(yes, you can buy no-sodium, but not in all the veggies, and they're
typically more expensive).
Same with frozen, only sugar is often added.

Actually, I don't think I've ever seen frozen veggies with anything added,
unless you're buying the kind with the sauces and things. (The frozens veggies
in my freezer [Kroger store brand brocolli and peas] contain nothing but
vegetables.)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old September 24th 03, 04:37 PM
Circe

"Sharon Bailey Glasco" wrote in message
om...
Very good advice. The only exception to this that I would add is that
if your child is allergic to dairy products (as mine is) calcium
fortified orange juice is a godsend. It is one of the few sources of
calcium that DS will willingly consume (an even then, he refused to
drink it, or any juice for that matter, until he was 2 1/2). That
said, he only gets 4-5 oz. first thing in the morning, and no more the
rest of the day (unless he is sick). In general, he prefers water to
anything else, fortunately.

This, I am sorry to say, is the reason my daughter was addicted to juice.
She would not drink *any* milk and wouldn't eat cheese or yogurt as a
toddler. Once she was weaned, the *only* way she could get enough calcium
was by drinking calcium-fortified juices.

Unfortunately, she got rather too much of them, which wreaked havoc on her
teeth, and got to the point where she refused to drink water. It took months
to get her down to one 4-6 oz. glass of juice per day and water for the rest
of her drinks. Now, she happily drinks water most of the time but it was no
picnic getting her to this point.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [18mo] mom)

"No parking passed this sign" -- hotel parking lot sign

Old September 24th 03, 04:40 PM
Circe

"ted" wrote in message
om...
I guess I didn't ask my question completely. I was wondering earlier
(in another post) about what else I can use to mix solids with other
than my breastmilk. I have no intention to give her bottles of juice.
I'm not a big fan of juice myself. Hence I was thinking if I can mix
her solids with a little bit of juice for variety. I puree all her
foods but still they are kinda hard. So I need something to make it
liquidy.

Okay, for solids you've pureed yourself (not cereal), just add water to make
them more liquid if need be. That's what baby food manufacturers do.

For mixing with cereal, try mixing whole fruit and water with the cereal
rather than juice. You can, however, use juice as a mixer if you like and if
you do, you can use standard adult versions of any non-allergenic juice,
although I'd certainly lean towards one that's vitamin-fortified. It's best
to water down the juice, though, even if you're just using it to mix cereal.

Old September 24th 03, 07:20 PM
kristi

(ted) wrote in message . com...

And following on my own post to say "but why does your 6.5 mo NEED juice
now or soon anyhow????? She doesn't. Give her water, or even better,
EBM. Why grow your own sugar junkie? Juice is a treat or occasional
drink when she gets older (DS is just starting to get a bit here and
there at 12.5mo, and that's fine by me)

Dawn

I guess I didn't ask my question completely. I was wondering earlier
(in another post) about what else I can use to mix solids with other
than my breastmilk. I have no intention to give her bottles of juice.
I'm not a big fan of juice myself. Hence I was thinking if I can mix
her solids with a little bit of juice for variety. I puree all her
foods but still they are kinda hard. So I need something to make it
liquidy. there's no guarantee that she eats her solids so I don't want
to mix breastmilk only to throw it away.

Thanks.

I used to puree things with a bit of water to get the right
consistency before my son graduated to table food. For instance, if
you've steamed veggies, add a little of the cooking water to the mix.
Same with fruit. I also added some yogurt or sour cream to baked
potatoes (watch this, obviously, if you have not previously introduced
dairy). We didn't really feed cereals, so I didn't mix much else. But
I hear you when you say you don't want to waste that precious ebm!

HTH
Kristi
Old September 25th 03, 03:15 AM
Marie

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:33:11 -0600, "iphigenia"
wrote:
kristi wrote:

I used to puree things with a bit of water to get the right
consistency before my son graduated to table food. For instance, if
you've steamed veggies, add a little of the cooking water to the mix.

Do not do this with carrots, though. Carrot water will be full of nitrates.

Is it safe to cook the carrots and use fresh water in them? I boil
carrots and drain and rinse them, and cut them into pieces. When
Bethany ate mushed foods still, I would still drain and rinse the
carrots and use tap water.
Marie
Old September 25th 03, 05:16 AM
iphigenia

Marie wrote:

Is it safe to cook the carrots and use fresh water in them? I boil
carrots and drain and rinse them, and cut them into pieces. When
Bethany ate mushed foods still, I would still drain and rinse the
carrots and use tap water.

Yes, you can cook your own carrots for baby food, you just need to make sure
they're well-cooked, and that you use fresh water instead of the cooking
water. Just as you said you did : )

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old September 25th 03, 05:49 AM
Chotii

Default Carrots (was: fruit juices for babies versus adults ( solids))

"iphigenia" wrote in message
Marie wrote:

Is it safe to cook the carrots and use fresh water in them? I boil
carrots and drain and rinse them, and cut them into pieces. When
Bethany ate mushed foods still, I would still drain and rinse the
carrots and use tap water.

Yes, you can cook your own carrots for baby food, you just need to make

sure
they're well-cooked, and that you use fresh water instead of the cooking
water. Just as you said you did : )

If I remember properly, carrots are the one thing you're better off feeding
out of jars, because carrots have high amounts of nitrites and the makers of
baby food test theirs(?)

Anyway, see
http://health.hss.state.ak.us/ocs/nu...hrisk/QA61.pdf
for a better discussion of the safety of carrots (and some other veggies and
fruits) for babies under the age of 6 months.

--angela

Old September 26th 03, 08:15 PM

Naomi Pardue wrote:
Not to mention canned veggies in the store are loaded with sodium
(yes, you can buy no-sodium, but not in all the veggies, and they're
typically more expensive).
Same with frozen, only sugar is often added.

Actually, I don't think I've ever seen frozen veggies with anything
added, unless you're buying the kind with the sauces and things. (The
frozens veggies in my freezer [Kroger store brand brocolli and peas]
contain nothing but vegetables.)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

(either remove spamblock or change address to to
e-mail reply.)

if you can find the frozen veggie/fruit without the additives that you don't
want, they are more nutritious than the fresh on the counter equivalent.
they are picked at the peak of ripeness, cleaned/washed off better of
*icides, not picked a few days or week ahead so that they will ripen on the
shelf and left for you to clean/wash. I know too many people that eat them
right out of the bag without washing first...
--
Edith
oht nak

Old September 28th 03, 12:38 PM
Chookie

In article ,
OSPAM (Naomi Pardue) wrote:

Fruit juice for babies is IMHO completely a marketing gimmick to sell juice
at a rediculous price.

Actually, I found the little bottles to be very handy for tossing in the
diaper bag when we were going out. Much more conventient, and less wasteful,
than putting in a whole half gallon jug of OJ...

I just requested cups of water for DS. We now carry a sports bottle of water
with us.

IMHO the same goes for all baby foods; there are
suitable non-baby choices at a much lower price point across the board, if
you are willing to mash or grind.

But again, not so conveneint. Many people are entirely willing to pay a
small premium for convenience, whether it is for food for our baby OR for
ourselves. (And, esp. when you are feeding a very young baby, who still
needs to be on a fairly limited diet [due to the need to add new foods one
at a time for several days to watch for allergies] it really ISN"T so
convenient to just toss your own dinner in the grinder and feed it
to the baby -- [...] but then if you find that baby doesn't like carrots, or
is allergic, you've wasted a lot of time and
effort. Why *not* just buy a jar of baby carrots, see if baby likes them and
can tolerate them, and then, if he does, by all means cook up some yourself.

When DS was at the one-food-at-a-time stage, he didn't eat solids when we were
out. For one thing, it was too messy! We gave him one meal of solids a day
at that point, and it was at my convenience. I didn't have a problem with a
small amount of fork-mashing -- but DS was on finger foods seven weeks after
he started solids, so I didn't have time to get bored with it.

Few of us would believe a diet where all our vegetables
are cooked into oblivion and then canned is as nutritious as one where we
use fresh or frozen.

Evidence that baby foods are 'cooked into oblivion' before being pureed and
jarred?

I don't know how long the industrial canning process takes, but certainly home
canning requires more than 15 mins cooking time, which is all most vegies
need. Of course, I also think that with the tiny amount of solids that a baby
consumes, food value probably isn't that important!

My 2c,

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990
Old September 28th 03, 05:37 PM
Naomi Pardue

I like to stir in a cup of powdered dry milk into sauces (or liquids to be
cooked) I make, even spaghetti sauce. I don't tell anyone eating it and
haven't heard any complaints. that includes extra into pancake and French
toast batters...

Not much help though if the eater is allergic to milk or lactose intolerant.
(And if I were serving that to guests, I probably WOULD tell them. If *I* were
a guest and were allergic to milk, I wouldn't want to be unknowingly served
spagetti sauce that had milk added!)