Sue - ER last night

Old May 7th 04, 06:19 PM
Sophie

Default Sue - ER last night

Don't read if you haven't watched

The baby died cos it had a true knot in the cord.

Old May 7th 04, 06:48 PM
Sue

Thank you. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old May 7th 04, 08:21 PM
JennP

"Sophie" wrote in message
Don't read if you haven't watched

The baby died cos it had a true knot in the cord.

You know, watching the actual episode didn't have that much effect on me at
the time, but man, did I have nightmares all night long!
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old May 8th 04, 02:20 AM
New York Jen

"Sophie" wrote in message
Don't read if you haven't watched

The baby died cos it had a true knot in the cord.

And I thought I'd cry when Friends ended, but I was totally disappointed
with that. I ended up sobbing at ER though!

Old May 9th 04, 02:05 PM
Buzzy Bee

On Sun, 9 May 2004 21:32:48 +1200, "Amy"
wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!

"Sophie" wrote in message
Don't read if you haven't watched

The baby died cos it had a true knot in the cord.

I haven't seen it as the episodes run a lot later over here, but I applaud
the makers of ER for dealing with such difficult subject matter in what I've
heard was a pretty sensitive and accurate way.

I think I will have to watch it, though the timing could have been
better for me.

I'm glad it was a main
character's baby, not just some random person off the street, because
stillbirth can and does happen to anyone, and it wouldn't have had the same
effect had it been just a passing side-story of a one-off character.
I only hope they continue the story to show how the couple deal with their
loss and how it affects them, instead of them being right back to 'normal'
in a few episodes.

I heard they didn't deal with the funeral and burial
arrangements, which would have helped, as a lot of people don't realise what
is involved in baby-loss, the huge and difficult decisions that have to be
made in a very limited amount of time during a time of immense grief. I
don't know what people suppose happens to our babies, maybe they think they
end up in the same place as all the tonsils and appendixes, as I've been
asked questions like, "Did you name 'it'?" and "Did you have a funeral?"

Part of the reason for that is that until very recently people didn't
have funerals and stillborn children *were* dealt with the same way as
tonsils and appendices. I know several women who lost babies in the
50s and 60s and even one whose son would be 6 weeks old than me (so
born in 1974, coincidentally her first grandson was born two days
before Seoras). None of them had funerals, many did not see the baby
even. They tell me how glad they are I did get that and how much
better things are now. My neighbour lost her firstborn in 1951 and it
was only because he was born at home late in the evening she got the
time with him (the undertakers did not collect him until the next
morning) but she never had a funeral, she has no idea where he was
buried.

Makes me grateful for the time I had with Seoras and for his wonderful
funeral.

Megan

--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset (homebirth)

To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com