Why do bosses pick on single moms?

Old November 16th 03, 07:52 PM
Jinny

Default Why do bosses pick on single moms?

I got laid off because I missed too much work due to my child's asthma. I
think that is the pits!!! Corporate America needs to cater more to working
moms and working Mr. Moms! Has anybody else in the group been through this?

--
Virginia Pierce
http://www.momswin.com/VirginiaP

"To fly, we have to have resistance."
Maya Lin

Old November 16th 03, 11:19 PM
Bill Fischer

Strange.

I was a pediatrician at a large employee model HMO when I became a
single parent.

At my next annual review, I was told that I had taken more sick leave
than the average doctor. Our sick leave benefit was 10 days annually.
But the average doctor only took two. This was unfavorable, I was told.

I suspected that single-parent fathers were held at a higher standard
that single-parent mothers.

Old November 17th 03, 12:49 AM
greccogirl

I've been with my company 21 years, and I have a life threatening
illness. Hardly a week goes by that I don't miss at least one day of
work. This has been going on for two years. So far they have been
understanding and I've been grateful.
Two days? What universe are these people living in?

p.s. I suspect some of my treatment stems from being afraid I'll sue
them.......

Old November 17th 03, 06:41 AM
ColoradoSkiBum

"Jinny" wrote in message
: I got laid off because I missed too much work due to my child's asthma. I
: think that is the pits!!! Corporate America needs to cater more to
working
: moms and working Mr. Moms! Has anybody else in the group been through
this?

Isn't this a violation of the Family Medical Leave Act?
--
ColoradoSkiBum

Old November 17th 03, 09:00 PM
Jenn

In article ,
Bill Fischer wrote:

Strange.

I was a pediatrician at a large employee model HMO when I became a
single parent.

At my next annual review, I was told that I had taken more sick leave
than the average doctor. Our sick leave benefit was 10 days annually.
But the average doctor only took two. This was unfavorable, I was told.

I suspected that single-parent fathers were held at a higher standard
that single-parent mothers.

this is particularly eggregious in a pediatrician's office where they
are exposed to so much illness -- do they really want contagious peds in
their passing stuff on to the patients? and picking up things from the
patients is an occupational hazard.
Old November 17th 03, 09:00 PM
Jenn

In article ,
Nan wrote:

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 13:52:52 -0500, "Jinny" wrote:

I got laid off because I missed too much work due to my child's asthma. I
think that is the pits!!! Corporate America needs to cater more to working
moms and working Mr. Moms! Has anybody else in the group been through this?

No, not really. I was a single mom for 14 years. I always made sure
I had back up care when my son was ill.

Nan

there are people who will expose themselves to sick kids for day care
money?
Old November 17th 03, 10:02 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
Nan wrote:

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 13:52:52 -0500, "Jinny" wrote:

I got laid off because I missed too much work due to my child's asthma. I
think that is the pits!!! Corporate America needs to cater more to
working
moms and working Mr. Moms! Has anybody else in the group been through
this?

No, not really. I was a single mom for 14 years. I always made sure
I had back up care when my son was ill.

Nan

there are people who will expose themselves to sick kids for day care
money?

There are places that provide "sick child" care, especially in larger
cities. There are also grandmas and aunts and uncles and grandpas who
may be able to come in to take care of a sick child for a couple of days.

However, it is worth pointing out that the OP's problem was with an
asthmatic child: this is NOT contangeous!

meh

Old November 17th 03, 11:17 PM
Tommy

Jinny wrote:

I got laid off because I missed too much work due to my child's asthma. I
think that is the pits!!! Corporate America needs to cater more to
working
moms and working Mr. Moms! Has anybody else in the group been through
this?

Maybe you should have sex with your boss.

Old November 17th 03, 11:22 PM
Tommy

dragonlady wrote:

In article ,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
Nan wrote:

[...]

What's up DragonLady?
Sounds like that woman is using her kid to get out of work; When she's
called on it, she bitches about discrimination!
Old November 18th 03, 12:02 AM
Jenn

In article ,
Nan wrote:

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:00:42 -0600, Jenn wrote:

In article ,
Nan wrote:

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 13:52:52 -0500, "Jinny" wrote:

I got laid off because I missed too much work due to my child's asthma.
think that is the pits!!! Corporate America needs to cater more to
working
moms and working Mr. Moms! Has anybody else in the group been through
this?

No, not really. I was a single mom for 14 years. I always made sure
I had back up care when my son was ill.

Nan

there are people who will expose themselves to sick kids for day care
money?

Well, yes.
There are places that provide "sick care" for those minor illnesses
that are beyond the policy of most daycare providers, yet not terribly
ill.
But the OP's child was asthmatic. That's not contagious in the least.

Nan

ahh good point -- but it is also more likely to be fatal if not properly
cared for than most of these other things -- I'd be more nervous about
leaving an asthmatic child with a sitter -- and as a sitter wouldn't
want to take it on.

New website, newsletter and networking group for single parents Durdana Single Parents 0 July 12th 04 04:40 AM
FAQ July 2004 Daniel Single Parents 0 July 6th 04 02:25 AM
Chemically beating children: Pinellas Poisoners Heilman and Talley Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 July 4th 04 11:26 PM
At 3:22 am mom & son nancy Pregnancy 1 December 20th 03 07:57 PM
New Website for NC Single Parents Montie Roland General 1 July 22nd 03 09:01 PM