Level II sonogram- what to expect?

Old July 16th 03, 03:16 AM
Larry McMahan

Default Level II sonogram- what to expect?

==Daye== writes:
: On 15 Jul 2003 18:38:44 -0700, Larry McMahan
: wrote:

:On the other hand, they are IM(NS)HO, virtually useless and grossly
:overused.

: You forgot *my* reasons for having ultrasounds.

No you misread my post. I said *routine* ultrasounds. If you
had diagnostic ultrasounds to rule out spina bifeda, then they
were certainly not routine. In this case they would have a value.
But, used routinely, without a suspicion of a defect, they simply
do not turn up problems often enough to be worthwile. (that is,
any more often than other, less invasive diagnostic techniques).

: Ultrasounds are not 100%. However, they are a
: great tool in determining whether or not my children have spina
: bifida. It is less evasive, and there is no risk of a
: miscarriage.

Again, you are looking for a specific condition, so this would not
be considered routine.

: Other women use them if they are at a higher risk for Down's
: Syndrome.

Again, this would be diagonstic use, not routine. I am not arguing
against the use of u/s as a diagnostic for specific problems, I am
arguing against the routine use of u/s when no problem has been
suspected.

: --
: ==Daye==
: Momma to Jayan
: #2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
: E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

Larry
Old July 16th 03, 03:17 AM
Larry McMahan

==Daye== writes:
: On 15 Jul 2003 18:43:28 -0700, Larry McMahan
: wrote:

:And why is that? See my reply to Lunar.

: I saw your reply. I don't necessarily think that ultrasounds
: should be routine. However, there are very good medical reasons
: for using them. One of the first step for me in finding out if
: my children have spina bifida is an ultrasound. If there is a
: problem, then we go to other means if there is a problem
: detected.

: However, I think if you are not at a higher risk for spina bifida
: or Down's, you might not need an ultrasound. I do think they can
: be overused. However, they are not completely unnecessary.

: --
: ==Daye==
: Momma to Jayan
: #2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
: E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

OK. Now we agree. I am only against routine u/s, which have shown
no medical benefit. I am not against diagnostic u/s when a problem
is suspected.

Larry,
tryign to be clear.
Old July 16th 03, 12:15 PM
Linz

wrote in message

They get lots of ultra sound scans in the UK starting early too.

What do you mean by "lots" and "starting early"? The norm seems to be
between one and two - a dating scan around 12 weeks and an anomaly scan
around 20 weeks. Not all hospitals do the dating scan, mine only does the
anomaly scan routinely.

This is not to say that some women have more scans. I had scans at 5 weeks
to check whether I was pregnant; at 7 weeks to check for a heartbeat; at 9
weeks ditto (that's the point at which I had lost my previous pregnancies);
at 11 weeks ditto; at 13 weeks to check the nuchal fold; and at 19 weeks for
the anomaly scan. My OB, midwife and radiographer all made the point that
they don't like doing too many scans and that if I hadn't been having the
nuchal scan there would have been nothing between 11 and 19 weeks and
certainly no scans after 19 weeks as we can get the heart on sonicaid. This
is fine by me.

Old July 16th 03, 02:32 PM
Lunar Eclipse

I do have ultrasounds done but not sonograms, are they the same thing?

Old July 16th 03, 08:57 PM
==Daye==

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:32:23 -0400 (EDT),
(Lunar Eclipse) wrote:

I do have ultrasounds done but not sonograms, are they the same thing?

Yes.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au
Old July 16th 03, 09:28 PM
Jen in South Florida

Larry McMahan wrote:

b. Ultrasounds before 20 weeks are looked on by the medical community
as a more reliable measure of EDD than the mother's recollection. This
is based on the notions that a mother cannot be trusted to remember
when her LMP was, when she made love, when she might have ovulated (even
if she is charting) and that she cannot count ot 28. In some cases this
skepticism of the mother's math abilities is correct, but it is a vast
overgeneralization to paint all mothers with the brush!

Just as it is a vast generalization to assume that counting to 28
would have any impact on dating the pregnancy... how many people
actually have 28 day cycles? My record before stating ovulation
induction was 67 days. LMP would have SURE been useful in dating
a pregnancy had I managed to conceive that cycle!

Jen
who wishes she could have gotten pregnant without charting for
months on end and knowing to the hour when she ovulated

Old July 16th 03, 09:31 PM
Jen in South Florida

Zucca4 wrote:
What will happen? Weight/ blood pressure? Can I eat lunch before? What
specifically will they be looking for in terms of development? How long will it
last?

I am soooooooooooo nervous! I just want everything to be ok.

Thanks,
Lisa

They are looking at all sorts of things, heart and brain
formation, checking for cleft lip, looking for markers of Down's...

I had mine done last week at a perinatologist's office. They
took my BP, did not weigh me, and had me give a urine sample
before going in to the u/s. Check with the office before you go.
It took 30 minutes or more for each baby. I don't see what
difference it would make if you've eaten or not. Good luck!

Jen
edd 12/20/03 - twin boys!