childbirth without insurance

Old September 9th 03, 09:30 PM
1qa2ws

Default childbirth without insurance

Hi,

I live in St. Louis (Mossouri). Do you know something about any
possibilities to birth a child without having any insurance? Maybe you know
if there is something similar to PCAp in NYC or MassHealth in MA in Missouri
state? We cannot buy any insuarce, becouse it is after conception.

Daniel

Old September 9th 03, 10:16 PM
Jeff

"1qa2ws" wrote in message
Hi,

I live in St. Louis (Mossouri). Do you know something about any
possibilities to birth a child without having any insurance?

If you're pregant, nearly 100%.

Maybe you know
if there is something similar to PCAp in NYC or MassHealth in MA in

Missouri
state? We cannot buy any insuarce, becouse it is after conception.

No, but ask at your doctor's office. They usually have staff members who can
help you. If not, you might be able to get free or reduced-cost care at one
of the universities there, like St. Louis University and Wash U.

Jeff

Daniel

Old September 9th 03, 10:21 PM
Donna Metler

"Jeff" wrote in message

"1qa2ws" wrote in message
Hi,

I live in St. Louis (Mossouri). Do you know something about any
possibilities to birth a child without having any insurance?

If you're pregant, nearly 100%.

Maybe you know
if there is something similar to PCAp in NYC or MassHealth in MA in

Missouri
state? We cannot buy any insuarce, becouse it is after conception.

No, but ask at your doctor's office. They usually have staff members who

can
help you. If not, you might be able to get free or reduced-cost care at

one
of the universities there, like St. Louis University and Wash U.

In Memphis, one of the hospitals has a pre-paid childbirth plan, where it is
one set rate for a normal delivery (or planned C-section), which you pay in
regular installments. I believe it was something like $2500 for a regular
delivery with monthly prenatal visits and one ultrasound.

Now if you have a complicated pregnancy, this won't help.

Jeff

Daniel

Old September 10th 03, 07:04 PM
Bev Brandt

"Jeff" wrote in message ...
"1qa2ws" wrote in message
Hi,

I live in St. Louis (Mossouri). Do you know something about any
possibilities to birth a child without having any insurance?

If you're pregant, nearly 100%.

Maybe you know
if there is something similar to PCAp in NYC or MassHealth in MA in

Missouri
state? We cannot buy any insuarce, becouse it is after conception.

No, but ask at your doctor's office. They usually have staff members who can
help you. If not, you might be able to get free or reduced-cost care at one
of the universities there, like St. Louis University and Wash U.

Jeff

I second what Jeff said. To the OP - Washington University is HUGE and
affiliated with Barnes-Jewish-Childrens hospitals and healthcare
organization (A.K.A "BJC," which also includes Missouri Baptist
Hospital.) Although my rudimentary search didn't turn up anything
specific, they probably have *something* for the under- or un-insured.
Call around.

Also try the county or St. Louis city departments of health. I don't
know which you live in and I don't know if the services cross lines.
FYI - St. Louis city is not in the county and St. Louis County does
not include the city of St. Louis. If you're new to the area, you may
not understand this.

These departments may not provide the actual services, but they might
be able to direct you to someone who will.

County DOH web site: http://www.stlouisco.com/doh/ (there is
apparently help for *high* *risk* pregnancies, but I don't know about
other help)

City DOH: http://stlouis.missouri.org/citygov/health/index.html

Also, employers must cover you for pregnancy, I understand. So if you
can get a job while pregnant, it's one option. I changed jobs while
pregnant and was fully covered by the second employer's insurance. But
that was my primary insurance, not insurance through my spouse. A
spouse getting a job that includes health benes may be an option, too.
But in this particular "employer's market," it's probably not a great
option...

- Bev
Old September 10th 03, 11:00 PM
Jeff

"Bev Brandt" wrote in message
om...

(...)

Also, employers must cover you for pregnancy, I understand. So if you
can get a job while pregnant, it's one option. I changed jobs while
pregnant and was fully covered by the second employer's insurance. But
that was my primary insurance, not insurance through my spouse. A
spouse getting a job that includes health benes may be an option, too.
But in this particular "employer's market," it's probably not a great
option...

Good point. In addition, there are often enrollment periods employer's
health insurance. For example, if you or your spouse is employed and there
is a new open enrollment, they have to take you during open enrollment. Open
enrollment is usually around new year's day, but it does vary (for my
company, the open enrollment ends Oct 31, with the new coverage effective
Nov 1). Of course, if either you or your spouse get a new job, this would
apply to both spouses.

Jeff

- Bev

Old September 11th 03, 12:46 AM
1qa2ws

Hi,

maybe I describe my situation more precisely:

I'm a new international student from Poland. I've started my study at this
semester. I live in St.Louis, near the UMSL, and I've to buy some health
insurance for me. My wife is in Poland now, becouse she is finishing her
study there. She is going to go to USA on February - in about 29hbd. I've
asked at my university about health insurane, but afrer conception I cannot
buy any... What should I do?

Daniel

Old September 11th 03, 01:24 AM
Joni Rathbun

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, 1qa2ws wrote:

Hi,

maybe I describe my situation more precisely:

I'm a new international student from Poland. I've started my study at this
semester. I live in St.Louis, near the UMSL, and I've to buy some health
insurance for me. My wife is in Poland now, becouse she is finishing her
study there. She is going to go to USA on February - in about 29hbd. I've
asked at my university about health insurane, but afrer conception I cannot
buy any... What should I do?

Daniel

1. They may not provide maternity benefits but they may cover
the baby once born so you should probably still get insurance.

2. Start saving your money and if your wife is healthy and
experiencing a normal, healthy pregnancy, start exploring
alternative birthing options. Other posters here who've
been through these things more recently can probably share
some ideas.

It's been a while since I was pregnant. I didn't have
insurance with baby #1. I chose a pediatric nurse
practitioner as my care giver (she worked under the
guidance of a team of doctors) and while I did decide
to go to a hospital, we chose the alternative birthing
room and quick exit. The total at the time was going
to be right about $800.

Of course, as luck would have it, the birth was not
a quick or easy one and emergenies arose so we wound
up spending considerably more....

But I have many friends who were successful!

Old September 11th 03, 01:58 AM
Jeff

If your university has a medical center, they might be willing to cut you a
deal. Or the UMSL might as well.

The other thing you can look into is getting Medicaid for your wife when she
arrives as well as for your child. I don't know the rules about recent
immigrants or newly born citizens with regard the Medicaid. Or, for that
matter, Medicaid and students. There may be special insurance from the
state that you can get, at least for your child, which is cheaper than you
can get elsewhere (I think most states have it). Can't hurt to look.

Jeff

Old September 11th 03, 01:24 PM
llama mama

"just me" wrote in
om:

"Jeff" wrote in message
If your university has a medical center, they might be willing to cut
you

deal. Or the UMSL might as well.

The other thing you can look into is getting Medicaid for your wife
when

she
arrives as well as for your child. I don't know the rules about
recent immigrants or newly born citizens with regard the Medicaid.
Or, for that matter, Medicaid and students. There may be special
insurance from the state that you can get, at least for your child,
which is cheaper than you can get elsewhere (I think most states have
it). Can't hurt to look.

If they fall below the income and resource rules the baby ought to
qualify for Medicaid after the third month [rules vary by state], and
one does not need to be a US citizen to qualify for Medicaid [I've had
at least one illegal alien child as a client who also had Medicaid,
but that was also due to being in Foster Care]. And, if all else
fails, many hospitals will work out a payment plan for nearly anyone.

if an illegal alien has a child born in the US (or a foreign national of
any type, for that matter) that child is automatically an American
citizen & eligible for Medicaid, etc.
most hospitals will work out a payment plan. then there's always the
Hill-Burton act, which says hospitals can't refuse treatment even if the
client can't afford it...

lee
--
It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still differentiate
between a time for learning and a time for play without seeing the vital
Old September 11th 03, 02:17 PM
Bev Brandt

"Jeff" wrote in message ...
If your university has a medical center, they might be willing to cut you a
deal. Or the UMSL might as well.

"The UMSL" *is* the University of Missouri at St. Louis.

To the OP, keep on looking. Are you a graduate student? You might be
able to get an on-campus job that pays benefits and also allows you to
continue with your studies. Even if you're an undergraduate, that's an
option.

Try the University health services.

http://www.umsl.edu/services/health/

They're probably more for students who have minor illnesses and
injuries, but they may be able to direct you to an organization that
can help. There must be an international student organization on
campus somewhere, too. I would think that this might not be all that
uncommon of a situation.

Oh, and welcome to St. Louis. I hope you like it here and enjoy your
studies.

- Bev