Using family radios or walkie talkies in lieu of baby monitors

Old September 14th 03, 09:24 PM
Phil Stripling

Default Using family radios or walkie talkies in lieu of baby monitors

(Tripp Knightly) writes:

And the alarmism continues. My OP is lost from this thread, but I

Perhaps lost to you, but not to the rest of us. I've "reprinted" below for
your edification.

I recently purch'd 2 diff sets of baby monitors (both 49 & 900 Mhz).
Both were susceptible more than I liked to interference from, ie,
neighbor's babies (god bless 'em) and cordless phones.

Seems to me a better route to go might be to use familfamily radios /
walkie talkies.

Key benefits would be:

a) Far larger channel / subchannel selection would alleviate
interference

b) Some radios have ways to embed codes to further squelch others'
transmissions

c) I can use the things as more than just baby monitors - more
practical

Downsides seem to be:

1) longer range might mean cleaner transmissions, but also you
sacrifice your privacy some

2) greater sensitivity means you're potentially open to more
interference absent having (c) above implemented

3) They don't have the light meters like baby monitors, though I think
there are some units out there w/ vibrate capability

My key questions a

- Has anybody used these radios & if so what are their experiences?

- Do these radios provide for full-time broadcast a la baby monitors
such that you can listen in? (My concern is that VOX / voice
activated capability may not let me hear all that I need to.)

Thanks for any / all input!

Notice that in your original "lost" post, you want "full-time broadcast,"
not two-way communication, a point you have conveniently forgotten. Notice
that VOX isn't satisfactory to you, as it may not let you hear all you need
to. Your concern is to have CTCSS to squelch others' transmissions as you
broadcast your own full-time interference.

Full-time broadcast, hon, is not two-way communication.

And you're welcome for any and all input, as you requested.

If you've lost any of your other posts, please feel free to ask for it to
be recalled for you.
Old September 15th 03, 12:19 AM

In alt.radio.family Tripp Knightly wrote:
Phil Stripling wrote in message ...
(Tripp Knightly) writes:

I recently purch'd 2 diff sets of baby monitors (both 49 & 900 Mhz).
Both were susceptible more than I liked to interference from, ie,
neighbor's babies (god bless 'em) and cordless phones.

Seems to me a better route to go might be to use family radios /
walkie talkies.

Tripp, hon -- why are you going to harrass other FRS users with _your_
interference from _your_ babies?

Believe it or not, FRS radios are subject to rules; kindly drop by
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...7cfr95_00.html
and take a look at the set of rules beginning at 95.191. I would direct
your attention, though, to 95.193(a):
You may use the FRS unit to transmit one-way
communications only to establish communications
with another person, send an emergency message,
provide traveler assistance, make a voice page,
or to conduct a brief test.

Phil, baby (sic) --

One person's harrassment is always another's communication.

Yeah, I know they're subject to rules (not withstanding their
enforcement or lack thereof). But It almost seems to me that what you
cite supports my application of FRS as fair use. Not to get
litigious, but absent seeing legal rulings to the contrary, using VOX
functionality potentially qualifies on at least 2 of 5 of those
reasons. (I'm sure your emminently qualified to do so, but don't
waste your time looking them up!)

There are good reasons for the current regulations for FRS.

Notice that FRS units do not even have the function that
you need to do what you what to do(VOX is intended primilarly
for use with a hands-free headset)-it works poorly otherwise
in most situations.

First of all-FRS has way too much range for your purposes,
and the radio will transmit ALL local sounds, including
ones that you might not want to be broadcast for a mile or
more in all directions-basically, you're BUGGING your own
house!
Of course, you would be tying up a FRS channel nearly
non-stop for long periods of time(the channels are suposed
to be SHARED).
Doing the above is downright RUDE, as well as a violation
of FCC regulations.

Also, CTCSS(sub-codes) are NOT channels-they are just
a selective speaker muting system(squelch)-so you won't
hear other users on the channel, BUT if more than 1
user is transmitting at the same time, both users will
be interfered with(even though one or both might not
know it, except they don't hear some of what they should hear).
IOW, the sub-codes are really are quiet codes.

Besides, if they're used for 2-way, than your citation becomes
completely irrelevant (imagine the parent that coos back, for
example). Indeed, you conveniently left out the first sentence of
95.193(a) which addresses 2-way:

A infant crying or cooing is sort of stretching the ides of
voice communications-as generally voice communications
presuppose that a actual lanuage be used.

The parent that coos back is nonsense-the infant's unit
will be randomly transmitting, so the infant will not
hear the parent much of the time(an FRS radio is NOT a
full-duplex device, so when it's transmitting, it is not
receiving, and vice-versa).
What you are descriving is NOT 2-way communications, but
2 one way communications, and again-this is NOT within the
FRS regulations.

"You may use an FRS unit to conduct two-way voice communications
with another person."

See above.

But if nothing else, you've certainly validated that free legal advice
is

Correct, but common sense should tell you that non-stop
communications in a SHARED communications service is selfish and
rude!!

-TK

Oh, BTW, most FRS gear probably will not last long used the
way you want you to use it-the transmitters are generally
designed for a ICAS duty cycle(5% transmitting, 5% receiving, 90%
standby), so the radio will probably overheat and fail after a while.

MK

Old September 15th 03, 03:10 PM
Daniel Martin

Crap! I Have to agree with Stewart re the wired intercom. CRAP CRAP CRAP!
Actually personbally I don't like the idea of subjecting infants to R.F.
even in small doses.... Where did I put my tinfoil hat?

Dan

"stewart" wrote in message
om...
(Tripp Knightly) wrote in message

om...
wrote in message
v.net...

Oh, BTW, most FRS gear probably will not last long used the
way you want you to use it-the transmitters are generally
designed for a ICAS duty cycle(5% transmitting, 5% receiving, 90%
standby), so the radio will probably overheat and fail after a while.

MK

Thanks. That's a thoughtful informative and sensible response.

Too bad it is wrong.

You shouldn't use an FRS radio as a broadcast device, but this ISN'T
the reason why you shouldn't. It has more to do with common sense and
being a good citizen/neighbor, and sharing, that kind of thing.

If you want to be a dick, just buy a FRS "base station" and put a rock
on the transmitter button - I can assure you it isn't going to
"overheat" putting out that WHOPPING 500mW (drill some extra cooling
holes in the case, if you are THAT worried about it)... but then,
hopefully, some radio-savvy neighbor will DF you and turn you into the
FCC.

Dude - have you ever considered running a fricken' wired intercom
between the baby's and your room... I remember when houses used to
come wired with Intercoms... ah, those were the days.

- Stewart
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MURS-OPEN

Old September 16th 03, 02:31 AM
G. M. Alf

On 15 Sep 2003 18:20:22 -0700, (stewart) wrote:

Dude - have you ever considered running a fricken' wired intercom
between the baby's and your room... I remember when houses used to
come wired with Intercoms... ah, those were the days.

- Stewart
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MURS-OPEN

How about voice over internet?

Mike

Old September 16th 03, 05:22 AM
G. M. Alf

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:10:17 -0400, "Daniel Martin"
wrote:

Crap! I Have to agree with Stewart re the wired intercom. CRAP CRAP CRAP!
Actually personbally I don't like the idea of subjecting infants to R.F.
even in small doses.... Where did I put my tinfoil hat?

Dan

http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html

Mike