Kids, tummy aches, and OTC remedies...?

Old September 16th 03, 01:52 PM
Mark Probert

Default Kids, tummy aches, and OTC remedies...?

"David Whitney" wrote in message
om...
All:

My wife and I are at (extreme) odds over the proper way to handle a
tummy ache in our 7-year-old son.

She grew up with a mom who is a nurse and is predisposed to medicating
quickly, and generally never challenging or questioning a doctor's
advice. I grew up in a decidedly non-medical background, and with lots
of significant family sensitivity to various medications; as a result,
I'm very cautious.

In this case, my family methodology has been that it is best to let
tummy aches run their course, as unpleasant as that may be. My opinion
is that OTC preps (eg Pepto Bismol) forestall the body's natural means
of "purging" the bad stuff, and actually work to make things worse. My
wife, on the other hand, believes it borders on cruelty *not* to give
some OTC meds to relieve the discomfort.

I'd appreciate some feedback on this issue. Please reply to the group;
the email address posted herein is long since dead.

What is the level of discomfort?

Do you have a clue as to what is causing a stomachache so often as to be
such an issue in your home? Instead of worrying about what to do after it
starts, find out why it starts.

This procedure would start with a visit to your child's pediatrician.

And, remember, your level of tolerance for pain is not that of your child.

Old September 17th 03, 01:26 AM
Jeff

I agree with the other two posters.

Find out what is causing the stomach ache. Sometimes kids complain of a
tummy ache when they need to poop (sometimes when I needed to go, I would
get cramps that passed when I used the toilet; other kids get different
aches too when it is time go or they get a little blocked up), when
something or someone is bothering them, when they are hungry or they run too
hard (I had one kid on my soccer team always complaining of a stomach ache
and saying he felt like he was going to puke). Treat the cause, not the
ache.

Unless there is a specific reason, I would not give something like
PeptoBismal on a regular or semiregular basis. Sometimes people overeat and
feel releif from it. They shouldn't be overeating in the first place.
Usually, if it is a stomach virus or a diarrhea thing, it is best to let it
pass and just make sure the youngster is not dehydrated.

Jeff

[...]

Thanks,
dew

Old September 17th 03, 04:58 PM
David Whitney

All:

Many thanks to those who have replied. I need to make a couple of
clarifications.

1. This has not been a series of tummy aches; just one over the
weekend that drew out the difference of opinion between my wife and
me.

2. Warm/hot tea helped along the way. I think hot tea is magical,
seems to be so good for so many things...

3. He was never nauseous at all.

My primary thought in posting was to solicit other opinions about the
value or propriety of giving kids things like Pepto Bismol (or
whatever) rather than letting nature take its course. The conventional
wisdom, as I understand it, is that you *don't* give kids under 12 or
so laxatives, and I tended to draw that notion out to general stomach
difficulties in kids -- don't medicate for symptoms unless a doctor
deems it necessary, because symptom relief may extend the real problem
(and if its bad enough to go to the doctor about, that's a different
kettle of fish anyway).

Thanks, all.

-dew