How to stop the night wakings?

Old March 14th 08, 03:12 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Ericka Kammerer

Default How to stop the night wakings?

cjra wrote:
On Mar 14, 6:53 am, "deja.blues" wrote:
"cjra" wrote in message

On Mar 13, 5:03 pm, "lu-lu" wrote:
"cjra" wrote in message
btw - it's not that I'm making excuses, it's just that I'm trying to
not do a bunch of different things that require substantial effort and
lifestyle change in the hope that _one_ works. Many things we have
tried, and now I'll just take it one by one and see how it goes.

???????
It sounds like great change and effort is exactly what you need to do.

I mean like going to the effort of moving the large awkward difficult
to move bed into another room temporarily in the hopes that it will
make a difference.

Any possibility of making the other bed more comfortable?
A better mattress or mattress topper or some such thing?

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old March 14th 08, 03:17 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Ericka Kammerer

cjra wrote:

Thanks for this reassurance, everyone always blames co-sleeping, but
we would not have survived the first year if we didn't co-sleep.She
reverse cycled at 12 weeks, and that was that.

And there are certainly people who co-sleep with non-nursing
older kids without much trouble. I don't think it's the co-sleeping
per se, but a combination of temperament and environment and so on
that can make a particular situation untenable. I suspect the very
same things that made co-sleeping so important for you all in the
first year are the things that are making it challenging for everyone
to get a good night's sleep now ;-) Oh, the irony of parenthood ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old March 14th 08, 03:54 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

"cjra" wrote in message

On Mar 13, 5:03 pm, "lu-lu" wrote:
"cjra" wrote in message
btw - it's not that I'm making excuses, it's just that I'm trying to
not do a bunch of different things that require substantial effort and
lifestyle change in the hope that _one_ works. Many things we have
tried, and now I'll just take it one by one and see how it goes.
???????
It sounds like great change and effort is exactly what you need to do.

I mean like going to the effort of moving the large awkward difficult
to move bed into another room temporarily in the hopes that it will
make a difference.

Any possibility of making the other bed more comfortable?
A better mattress or mattress topper or some such thing?

Sure. We could lay out the cash for a new bed instead of on
construction materials for DD's room. But as I said, I really don't
want to go to such major extremes when it's a temporary fix which very
well may not work. I am not complaining that the bed is the source of
all our problems. Rather, I am explaining why 'simply moving DH to
another room' isn't as simple as it might seem to some...not to
mention the fact that his bed is from Europe, and he's very fussy
about it. The mattress I have that he doesn't like is perfectly fine
and I like it well enough and honestly it'd be ridiculous to replace
it.

Kind of like having brain surgery for a headache. I'm trying to figure
out the simpler, pain med route first.
Old March 14th 08, 04:36 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

"cjra" wrote in message

On Mar 13, 5:03 pm, "lu-lu" wrote:
"cjra" wrote in message
[...]

btw - I don't mean to sound so flippant. I really appreciate all the
helpful advice from this thread and I'm processing it to figure out
what might and what might not be feasible in our situation. I find,
though, that more and more extreme suggestions are offered, getting
away from the original problem, and then I'm accused of making excuses
when I say those just aren't reasonable in the current situation. As a
last resort, maybe, but I don't think we're there yet.
Old March 14th 08, 05:11 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

On Mar 14, 8:15 am, Rosalie B. wrote:
cjra wrote:
On Mar 13, 6:34 pm, Rosalie B. wrote:
cjra wrote:

Our problem is lack of doors - all the doors have been removed and
sent of for stripping (lead paint removal), . So without doors,

Why does the area have to be quiet?

Lights on, tv (sometimes), computer etc. all within a few feet of her?
Maybe your child can fall asleep with that, mine has never been able
to. All the usual 'house' noises. Frankly I don't expect anyone to be
able to sleep through all that. Perfectly silent? no, but constant
stimulation in the form of lights, talking etc, she can't handle that.

Are you putting her to bed in the living room or something? I would
expect a child to be able to sleep through noise of conversation, but
maybe music or a fan or something would mask that. My DIL does that
(for herself).

Ok, here's a link. I'm not sure you get the full idea since we've done
a lot of work since these pictures were taken. And those pocket doors
between the rooms aren't functioning at the moment and are in the
'open' position. http://cheriseandfredo.blogspot.com/...ntry-hall.html.
Also all the other doors have been removed for stripping (some are
done, but then they have to be sanded and painted before we put them
back up, and we're waiting to strip, sand, and paint the frames before
doing that which we have to do with DD out of the house). If you look
at the very bottom picture, the bedrooms are off to the left and the
'study' where the spare bed is is off to the right.
Old March 14th 08, 05:36 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Rosalie B.

cjra wrote:

I have described the house set up repeatedly, perhaps you missed it.
There are not very many rooms in the house. Every other area is OPEN.
It's a smallish house. There's not some side area to put her, so yeah,
wherever she'd be outside the bedroom would be in a common living
space.

Yes I answered before I read the post where you described it again,
and I was not paying attention in the beginning as I did not co-sleep
and did not have much trouble with night waking after about 6 months.

I do live in a pre Civil War house (in the US), but it is two stories.
And very well insulated for noise. Dd#2 was determined that she was
going to be in the band playing with her sister, but we had just moved
and the school system we moved to started instrumental music in 3rd
grade, and she was in 5th grade so way behind. She wanted to get up
and practice before school, but dh said absolutely not, that he wasn't
going to be wakened up at O dark 30 with the screeching of a clarinet.
So DD#2 went downstairs into the 'new' wing (c 1930) and shut herself
in the half bath off the kitchen and she could practice there without
waking her dad. And my son's rock band used to practice in the
living room which is right under our bedroom - made the house vibrate
a bit.

It sounds like you are a whole family of problem sleepers.g. And
that's the problem more than the house.

Old March 14th 08, 05:45 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

On Mar 14, 11:36 am, Rosalie B. wrote:

It sounds like you are a whole family of problem sleepers.g. And
that's the problem more than the house.

Oh, my parents laugh hysterically when I complain about DD's sleep
issues. Karma they say. I don't know why I have this problem since
both my parents and some of my siblings can sleep anywhere and
everywhere.

DH actually has no problem sleeping, but he is particular about the
surface and the noise.

Old March 14th 08, 06:01 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

On Mar 14, 11:36 am, Rosalie B. wrote:

It sounds like you are a whole family of problem sleepers.g. And
that's the problem more than the house.

Oh, my parents laugh hysterically when I complain about DD's sleep
issues. Karma they say. I don't know why I have this problem since
both my parents and some of my siblings can sleep anywhere and
everywhere.

DH actually has no problem sleeping, but he is particular about the
surface and the noise.

However, I've never complained the house was the problem. I've
explained why the solutions offered of putting DD somewhere else in
the house are not practical in our particular home at this time.
There actually is a reasonable amount of noise insulation, but it
requires the doors to be closed. With no doors in some areas, it's
hard to block out noise and lights.
Old March 14th 08, 06:41 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Banty

In article ,
cjra says...

"cjra" wrote in message

On Mar 13, 5:03 pm, "lu-lu" wrote:
"cjra" wrote in message
[...]

A mattress or mattress topper. She suggested a mattress or mattress topper.
Not a whole bed.

This is where I'm beginning to think you're discarding ideas too fast, looking
for some magic fix.

With this, you might as well just put up with it until the house remod is done.
Because you need to be of a mind to be giving any option a chance to work, and
how it will be when all the work is done on the house is the only way you seem
to really be able to envision things finally working.

Sometimes muddling through is the only thing that people seem to be able to get
to work. For whatever reason. And it *is* an option. Folks here are trying to
come up with *better* options for you, but it is an option.

Banty

Old March 14th 08, 06:47 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Banty

In article ,
cjra says...

"cjra" wrote in message

On Mar 13, 5:03 pm, "lu-lu" wrote:
"cjra" wrote in message
[...]

Sometimes it just gets down to practicalities where you just live out a
situation day by day. For whatever reason - I can't tell from here whats
actually not workable vs. what you're just not willing to try because you don't
want anything that you think is too much a hassle to you to try. But it
actually in the end may not make a difference exactly why you don't take any of
these suggestions, and you just muddle though day by day. Because every path
seems hard.

Maybe one night you won't be able to stand it anymore and try CIO ;-) or not.
But it's really not so extreme.

Either way, she won't be doing this when she's eighteen .. ;-)

Cheers,
Banty