NIP questions

Old October 1st 03, 05:25 AM
Sue

Default NIP questions

Cheryl S. wrote in message
1.) I'm sure this is a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway. Where
do you all put your bra pads while NIP?

Push it up with the bra or take it out and throw it away if it was soaked
(which in the beginning it was all the time).

2.) My MIL and SIL felt/feel uncomfortable NIP, even nursing in front
of family members.

I'm wondering if it
also makes them uncomfortable for *me* to "NIP" at their house, and if
it would be better for me to follow suit when with their family at
Thanksgiving. (When in Rome...) What would you do?

If I was in my own home, I stayed put. The only time I moved to the bedroom
was when my hubby had some of his friends over. I was not comfortable
nursing in front of them at all.

My family is not comfortable with nursing. Or I should say the men in my
family wasn't. I didn't care with my mom or my sisters. Let's face it, we
are exposing one of our most private areas. I was not comfortable nursing in
front of my dad or BIL's. I respected that when I was at their home and went
into the bedroom. I did miss out on some parts of the family gatherings, but
I didn't mind. It was nice to be able to get away for a bit and relax in a
quiet room. I can only take my family little bits at a time, so it was fine
for me.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 1st 03, 05:27 AM
Akuvikate

"Cheryl S." wrote in message ...
1.) I'm sure this is a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway. Where
do you all put your bra pads while NIP?

I basically fold the bra flap in half under my breast with the pad
inside.

2.) My MIL and SIL felt/feel uncomfortable NIP, even nursing in front
of family members. SIL has two kids, each slightly older than mine, and
always went back to a bedroom to nurse (stopped nursing at 6 months both
times, partly due to feeling isolated, I imagine). With DD, I never
went anywhere, I just sat wherever I happened to be and nursed her with
whoever else happened to be in the room. This time, though, now that
I'm more aware of MIL's and SIL's own discomfort, I'm wondering if it
also makes them uncomfortable for *me* to "NIP" at their house, and if
it would be better for me to follow suit when with their family at
Thanksgiving. (When in Rome...) What would you do?

This is a toughie for me. On the one hand I feel strongly that a
nursing mom and baby should be welcome anywhere a bottle-feeding mom
and baby are. At the same time, with a background in anthropology,
I want to be sensitive to other people's cultural backgrounds. I'd
ask, bearing in mind that you can ask the question in ways more or
less likely to get the answer you want. F'rinstance, if you want them
to agree to your nursing in the thick of things, you can just ask "Do
you mind if I stay with the party to nurse?" using a tone of voice
that implies the answer you expect.

The other alternative is to use a sling, shawl, scarf, whatever as
cover up. I can't imagine that anyone would object to your nursing in
the thick of things if you did that.

Kate
and the Bug, June 8 2003
Old October 1st 03, 06:45 AM
toypup

"Cheryl S." wrote in message
2.) My MIL and SIL felt/feel uncomfortable NIP, even nursing in front
of family members. SIL has two kids, each slightly older than mine, and
always went back to a bedroom to nurse (stopped nursing at 6 months both
times, partly due to feeling isolated, I imagine). With DD, I never
went anywhere, I just sat wherever I happened to be and nursed her with
whoever else happened to be in the room. This time, though, now that
I'm more aware of MIL's and SIL's own discomfort, I'm wondering if it
also makes them uncomfortable for *me* to "NIP" at their house, and if
it would be better for me to follow suit when with their family at
Thanksgiving. (When in Rome...) What would you do?

Just because they feel uncomfortable NIP'ing doesn't mean they are
uncomfortable about others NIP'ing. You may want to ask them how they feel.
If you are home or in public, then nurse wherever you feel like it, but in
someone's home, their feelings need to be respected.

Old October 1st 03, 09:55 AM
KC

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:39:36 -0400, "Cheryl S."
wrote:
1.) I'm sure this is a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway. Where
do you all put your bra pads while NIP?

I never needed pads.

2.) My MIL and SIL felt/feel uncomfortable NIP, even nursing in front
of family members. SIL has two kids, each slightly older than mine, and
always went back to a bedroom to nurse (stopped nursing at 6 months both
times, partly due to feeling isolated, I imagine). With DD, I never
went anywhere, I just sat wherever I happened to be and nursed her with
whoever else happened to be in the room. This time, though, now that
I'm more aware of MIL's and SIL's own discomfort, I'm wondering if it
also makes them uncomfortable for *me* to "NIP" at their house, and if
it would be better for me to follow suit when with their family at
Thanksgiving. (When in Rome...) What would you do?

I'm like your MIL and SIL in that I am not too comfy NIP. I actually
find it easier to NIP in front of strangers than family. In the first
3 months since my baby was almost constantly attached I did end up
feeding her under a big full sized blanket in front of the family once
because I got tired of going to a back bedroom. At this point though
I welcome going back to the back bedroom to have a lay down nursing
session. It's so much nicer than trying to carry on conversations
while trying to get a distracted baby to drink and be discreet. I'll
take that quiet room anytime at this point. My dh is jealous that I
get to go take time outs at the family parties :-)

You do whatever works for you, but back bedroom feedings can be a
pretty nice thing to do rather than feeling isolated IMHO.

KC
Buy, rent or rent-to-own Whittlestone Breast Expressers at:
http://www.alittlestore.com
Old October 1st 03, 01:31 PM
Cheryl S.

Marie wrote in message
Whatever you are most comfortable doing is what I'd
recommend. If you're comfortable nursing in front of them,
do so. If I were uncomfortable doing that I wouldn't do it
anyway just to make a point or anything.

That's the interesting (to me) thing. With DD, I was perfectly
comfortable nursing around them, but now that I've realized it might
make them uncomfortable, I'm much less comfortable with it myself this
time. I don't think nursing is actually the issue - in general, I don't
like to do anything that I think might make someone else uncomfortable.
I will probably end up going to a bedroom this time, partly because I
just now realized that he'll probably still be falling asleep after most
feedings, so I'll need to put him to bed anyway and that will be easier
if I'm already there. Thanks, everybody, for your perspectives.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 6 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old October 1st 03, 03:28 PM
Melissa

"Cheryl S." wrote
2.) My MIL and SIL felt/feel uncomfortable NIP, even nursing in front
of family members. SIL has two kids, each slightly older than mine, and
always went back to a bedroom to nurse (stopped nursing at 6 months both
times, partly due to feeling isolated, I imagine). With DD, I never
went anywhere, I just sat wherever I happened to be and nursed her with
whoever else happened to be in the room. This time, though, now that
I'm more aware of MIL's and SIL's own discomfort, I'm wondering if it
also makes them uncomfortable for *me* to "NIP" at their house, and if
it would be better for me to follow suit when with their family at
Thanksgiving. (When in Rome...) What would you do?

I'd ask them what's comfortable for them. If you're a guest in their house,
you don't want to make them uncomfortable. Of course, there are exceptions.
For example, we were at a party on Saturday with a number of older men who I
assumed wouldn't be thrilled to watch me nurse. However, there were
screaming kids in each of the bedrooms, so I sat down on the corner of the
sofa, near the football game and nursed as discreetly as possible. I don't
think anyone really noticed, but it was the best of the options since DD
wouldn't have done well nursing with screaming kids and TV on.

Although I believe strongly that it's good for people to see mothers
nursing, it's more important to be polite and not make your hosts
uncomfortable.
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Old October 2nd 03, 04:12 AM
Laurie

Cheryl S. wrote in message ...
1.) I'm sure this is a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway. Where
do you all put your bra pads while NIP?

I leave them in there (use lansinoh pads, they don't fall out). But
sometimes it is awkward getting them pack in proper positoin

2.) My MIL and SIL felt/feel uncomfortable NIP, even nursing in front
of family members. SIL has two kids, each slightly older than mine, and
always went back to a bedroom to nurse (stopped nursing at 6 months both
times, partly due to feeling isolated, I imagine). With DD, I never
went anywhere, I just sat wherever I happened to be and nursed her with
whoever else happened to be in the room. This time, though, now that
I'm more aware of MIL's and SIL's own discomfort, I'm wondering if it
also makes them uncomfortable for *me* to "NIP" at their house, and if
it would be better for me to follow suit when with their family at
Thanksgiving. (When in Rome...) What would you do?
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 6 mo.
And new arrival, Jaden

I'd do what feels comfortable to you. I think if your comfortable nursing
in front of them, then do so. If they're not comfy, they'll leave! It's
great for you to show them that it's no big deal!

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 2.5 years
and Christopher, 5 months

*This email address is now valid*

Old October 3rd 03, 04:33 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Sara wrote:

*Cheryl S. wrote:
*
* 2.) My MIL and SIL felt/feel uncomfortable NIP, even nursing in front
* of family members. SIL has two kids, each slightly older than mine, and
* always went back to a bedroom to nurse (stopped nursing at 6 months both
* times, partly due to feeling isolated, I imagine). With DD, I never
* went anywhere, I just sat wherever I happened to be and nursed her with
* whoever else happened to be in the room. This time, though, now that
* I'm more aware of MIL's and SIL's own discomfort, I'm wondering if it
* also makes them uncomfortable for *me* to "NIP" at their house, and if
* it would be better for me to follow suit when with their family at
* Thanksgiving. (When in Rome...) What would you do?
*
*Presume it's okay for me to nurse, unless they asked me not to -- in
*which case I'd have no problem going to another room.

Yep.

I have a sort of similar situation with a friend of mine. She doesn't NIP
and plans her life around when she thinks the baby will be hungry. We were
out to dinner (me, DH, DS, DD; her, her DH and her 2 DDs) and I fed Naomi
at the table two or three times during our meal. I don't think she even
noticed, honestly. Then when the server came to ask if we wanted to have
dessert, she declined, because, she said, she needed to get home to feed
her baby. When she said that, I sort of felt a little bit guilty that I
had fed Naomi at the table when clearly, she has some kind of major
complex about NIP, but, well, whatever

Old October 4th 03, 05:07 AM
toypup

"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
I have a sort of similar situation with a friend of mine. She doesn't NIP
and plans her life around when she thinks the baby will be hungry. We were
out to dinner (me, DH, DS, DD; her, her DH and her 2 DDs) and I fed Naomi
at the table two or three times during our meal. I don't think she even
noticed, honestly. Then when the server came to ask if we wanted to have
dessert, she declined, because, she said, she needed to get home to feed
her baby. When she said that, I sort of felt a little bit guilty that I
had fed Naomi at the table when clearly, she has some kind of major
complex about NIP, but, well, whatever

But just because she has a problem NIP'ing herself doesn't mean she has a
problem with others NIP'ing.

Old October 4th 03, 11:49 AM
mitch

"Cheryl S." wrote in message ...
1.) I'm sure this is a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway. Where
do you all put your bra pads while NIP?

I tuck em under with my bra flap.

2.) My MIL and SIL felt/feel uncomfortable NIP, even nursing in front
of family members. SIL has two kids, each slightly older than mine, and
always went back to a bedroom to nurse (stopped nursing at 6 months both
times, partly due to feeling isolated, I imagine). With DD, I never
went anywhere, I just sat wherever I happened to be and nursed her with
whoever else happened to be in the room. This time, though, now that
I'm more aware of MIL's and SIL's own discomfort, I'm wondering if it
also makes them uncomfortable for *me* to "NIP" at their house, and if
it would be better for me to follow suit when with their family at
Thanksgiving. (When in Rome...) What would you do?

My own thing. I don't get this boob thing.

My BIL and my Nieces DH walk out of the room when I nurse. Sister
didn't even attempt to nurse and thinks I'm a fool for doing so. My
Niece doesn't have any children yet, though she and her DH both agree
that she will BF.

Both these men think it's fine for their wives, and others to bare
their breasts at the beach, or lido but not to BF in public. They say
it's different. How? When I BF they don't see anything. I am very
discreet and half the time they don't realise till someone mentions
it. Go figure.

Sometimes it's good to have a thick skin. And they don't come any
thicker than mine.

Mitch