Suit filed against Director of Virginia's Division of Child Support Enforcement

Old September 23rd 04, 08:25 PM
Dave Briggman

Default Suit filed against Director of Virginia's Division of Child Support Enforcement

After having handed over to me, without delay a listing of Virginia's DCSE
employees, job titles and salaries, the Director, Nick Young, has failed to
reply to two FOIA requests for updated information for the new fiscal year.
The mandatory five-day period allowed under Virginia law has expired with
regard to the first written request and expires tonight at midnight for the
second request.

As such, at just after 9AM this morning, I filed an "Injunction of Mandamus
against the Director which will cause a local District Court Judge to Order
Mr. Young to produce the updated information I requested.

The Mandamus allows for up to a $2500 FINE to be handed down against the
directory PERSONALLY, should the court order it. :-)

Anybody want FOIA requests for information from ANY state, I'll be happy to
draw them up for you, gratis.

Dave

Old September 24th 04, 03:17 AM
Tippy

When did the clock start for Mr. Young-- at receipt of document or some
later time. Under FOIA, do they have to produce a document that doesn't
exist in that form; that is, are they required to compile the data for you,
if it doesn't?

How much of the cost of preparing existing information for FOIA or for
compiling information for FOIA is passed on to the requestor?

Also, when does the clock stop ticking-- when it gets delivered to your
address or when they mail it out?

--
Tippy