baby always looking left

Old November 13th 03, 10:32 PM
teapot

Default baby always looking left

Moo boy is 5 months old and most often sleeps on his back with his
head facing the left. In his sling, he prefers facing left and now we
have started to look for it, he is mostly looking left. He's got a
flat bit on the back of his head too.

We took him to a cranial osteopath today who said that if not fixed it
can lead to problems reading etc as the neck stiffens. I thought that
he would sort it out himself when he starts to crawl, and I am not
fussed aesthetically about him having a flat bit to the back of his
skull. The ostopath said to wedge a rolled up flannel under his head
when he is asleep to try to get him onto the other side.

What do you lot think? Is the osteopath trying to rip us off by
recommending more sessions or should we be worried?

teapot
Old November 14th 03, 12:54 AM
Nic

Moo boy is 5 months old and most often sleeps on his back with his
head facing the left. In his sling, he prefers facing left and now we
have started to look for it, he is mostly looking left. He's got a
flat bit on the back of his head too.

We took him to a cranial osteopath today who said that if not fixed it
can lead to problems reading etc as the neck stiffens. I thought that
he would sort it out himself when he starts to crawl, and I am not
fussed aesthetically about him having a flat bit to the back of his
skull. The ostopath said to wedge a rolled up flannel under his head
when he is asleep to try to get him onto the other side.

What do you lot think? Is the osteopath trying to rip us off by
recommending more sessions or should we be worried?

Hard to say... My girl used to turn right all the time.. We moved her cot
and changed the way we put it in her to get her to face left... That seemed
to work for us... (shes now almost 4yo and no problems that we see)

When my son started to favour the left side...we moved the cot so it made
him turn to the right and once again it worked. My son no longer favours one
side or the other. I suspect with both it was a cot location with in the
house that was the problem.

I carn't offer much more then that as I haven't really had your problem.

teapot

Old November 14th 03, 01:17 AM
Irrational Number

teapot wrote:
Moo boy is 5 months old and most often sleeps on his back with his
head facing the left. In his sling, he prefers facing left and now we
have started to look for it, he is mostly looking left. He's got a
flat bit on the back of his head too. [...]

Pillbug always looked to his right. So, when he
was younger, I'd turn his head to the left after
he fell sound asleep. I put all his toys on his
left side and I carry him on my left so he has to
turn to _his_ left to look forward. For tummy time,
he always turns his head right and it takes forever
to get him to turn his head left.

I think he's sleeping more evenly now. I don't
know if your osteopath is ripping you off, but
it probably doesn't hurt to tempt Moo boy to look
to his right.

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Old November 14th 03, 01:57 AM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

Yes, it's worth taking steps to have him look in either
direction. However, you may want to discuss this with your ped. as
well. I know a couple of babies who preferred looking just to one side
because it was actually uncomfortable to look the other way. It turns
out that they had things like muscle pulls and fractures due to the
birth process! (They call it "birth trauma", and it's not unusual.)

Odds are that just moving him so that the interesting stuff is in the
other direction, or gently helping him to turn his head the other way,
will be all you need. But it's worth checking out.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old November 14th 03, 02:01 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

teapot wrote:

Moo boy is 5 months old and most often sleeps on his back with his
head facing the left. In his sling, he prefers facing left and now we
have started to look for it, he is mostly looking left. He's got a
flat bit on the back of his head too.

Caterpillar has no flat head, but strongly preferred one
side at 4 months. Only rolled in one direction, only looked
in one direction, had to be held on one shoulder. It looked
to us like she couldn't comfortably turn in the other
direction, and maybe couldn't turn very far, period.

We took him to a cranial osteopath today who said that if not fixed it
can lead to problems reading etc as the neck stiffens.

Her ped does cranial-sacral osteopathic manipulation, so is
maybe the same kind of doctor. We wanted to get her neck
fixed so she'd have full range of motion. And I hate having
a stiff neck, so it can't be much fun for her.

What do you lot think? Is the osteopath trying to rip us off by
recommending more sessions or should we be worried?

If it's just flat head, I wouldn't worry. If he can't be
coaxed to turn his head to the right, I'd worry. FWIW, we
pay $40 for Caterpillar's treatments, and have seen good
improvement after 2. Not sure how long we'll continue.

Phoebe

--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old November 14th 03, 08:03 PM
ted

I asked same question four months ago that my dd is always oriented to
only one side (her right). I pretty much got the same suggestions from
this ng. Then on for about a month I instructed everyone in the house
to make sure they call her/interact with her from the other side so
that she is forced to look the other side. In the car seat, I propped
up the right side so that she will look to the left. It took some
work. but we didnt' see any osteopath. One more thing to try if you
cosleep is.. switch which side he sleeps beside you. That way you can
nurse him from left or right on alternate days and he will be forced
to face you.

At 8 months there's no preference at all. I think once they start
crawling everything will be fine.