Scary weekend-now in hospital

Old October 27th 04, 02:55 PM
Donna Metler

Default Scary weekend-now in hospital

My BP went through the roof very suddenly Friday night-I was on the computer
and got hit with a sudden headache, visual signs etc-took my BP at home at
it was 134/113-so I called my practice and they told me to get in to L&D now
so I could be monitored. The BP dropped over then next few hours, but the OB
on call decided that it was safer to admit me and to go ahead and start the
steroid injections, just in case. By Sat noon, BP was stable, until we
started the steroids, which seem to make me prone to panic attacks, which
push my BP through the roof.

Anyway, the high risk OB decided on Monday that since my BP is so reactive
(and is too low to be safely medicated most of the time), that it's safest
to keep me here until this baby makes her appearance, because his fear is
that it'll shoot up and I'll go eclamptic at home w/o enough time to get to
the hospital. Since I got through the initial reaction to the steroid shots,
things have been much more stable in the hospital, even without meds (which
almost certainly means that I wasn't doing as good of a job on bedrest at
home as I thought I was). I've also lost some fluid weight just since
entering the hospital-which means my hands work much better.

Based on Biophysical profiles and the monitoring here, the baby is doing
great, and all she really needs is more time to grow and develop. Which
means boredom for mommy. We need about 7 more weeks to get to term.

Old October 28th 04, 12:23 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Donna Metler wrote:

Anyway, the high risk OB decided on Monday that since my BP is so reactive
(and is too low to be safely medicated most of the time), that it's safest
to keep me here until this baby makes her appearance, because his fear is
that it'll shoot up and I'll go eclamptic at home w/o enough time to get to
the hospital. Since I got through the initial reaction to the steroid shots,
things have been much more stable in the hospital, even without meds (which
almost certainly means that I wasn't doing as good of a job on bedrest at
home as I thought I was). I've also lost some fluid weight just since
entering the hospital-which means my hands work much better.

Sorry to hear you're stuck in the hospital, but glad
that things seem relatively under control. Hang in there!

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old October 28th 04, 01:02 AM
elizabeth emerald

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

glad everyone is doing ok. good luck! hope it doesn't get too boring. at
least you can spend lots of time on the newsgroups!
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS - born 20-aug-02

"Old school don't mean I'm better, I'm just getting older" -- Bias B

Old October 28th 04, 01:30 AM
Cathy

Donna Metler wrote:
Based on Biophysical profiles and the monitoring here, the baby is
doing great, and all she really needs is more time to grow and
develop. Which means boredom for mommy. We need about 7 more weeks to
get to term.

At least you have your computer! Sorry to hear that things went haywire.
Hang in there for the next 7 weeks (it doesn't sound that long when you say
it!).

Cathy
DD 8 Jan 03
EDD 8 Dec 04

Old October 28th 04, 02:04 AM
Leslie

(((Donna)))

I'm glad you are okay and the baby is okay and I sure hope the next seven weeks
pass quickly for you.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Old October 28th 04, 05:15 AM
Kaybee

Donna,

I am so happy to hear that you and baby are doing ok. Hope the rest of the
time goes by quick and good for you.

Hugz
Kay
Eva 9/2002
little boy 1/2005

Old October 28th 04, 09:34 AM
Anne Rogers

Sorry to hear this Donna, but it sounds like you are in safe hands, it's
really great you are able to get online, that will really help with the
boredom. If they do have to deliver cuddles at any stage, everything is
likely to go well, I think the next milestone is 32 weeks. I don't know how
doctors make decisions, but I was told at a similar stage to you that they
would let me deliver and not stop it (my problem was pre term contractions,
so completely different) as they felt that the baby would do better out
rather than in with meds, I don't know how they make these decisions as in
the same hospital I know of many people whose labour they have tried to stop
unsucessfully. Now I'm wibbling! Good Luck to you Donna.

Old October 28th 04, 01:44 PM
Sue

Hi Donna,

I'm sorry you were admitted to the hospital, but I will keep you and your
family in my prayers and positive thoughts. Hang in there.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 28th 04, 04:21 PM

"Donna Metler" wrote in message ...

Based on Biophysical profiles and the monitoring here, the baby is doing
great, and all she really needs is more time to grow and develop. Which
means boredom for mommy. We need about 7 more weeks to get to term.

I'm glad to see you're able to post -- I'd been worried about you!

Are they in there checking your blood pressure constantly? :-)

--
C, mama to two year old nursling
Old October 28th 04, 09:38 PM
Kelly

Hang in there Donna. Glad you are being monitored so closely. I hope you
can steal some time to check in and keep us updated!

Kelly

Sad story Plissken Pregnancy 181 July 20th 04 12:14 AM
what does "hospital policy" really mean? P Harris Pregnancy 2 June 5th 04 08:26 AM
New Milford Hospital EMERGENCY! (John Sussman, MD to pay for new illustrations?) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 May 14th 04 01:35 AM
Birth position at hospital with chiropractors (Carl Cleveland III, DC) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 October 24th 03 05:55 PM
Hospital residencies for nurses and chiropractors... Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 1 August 23rd 03 06:18 PM