Can you breastfeed following a C-section?

Old May 26th 04, 01:33 PM
Donna Metler

Default Can you breastfeed following a C-section?

I know that after my last one I was on some really heavy drugs for the first
day or two, and on pain relievers for several weeks. I can't imagine this
would be good for the baby, since they almost completely knocked me out. Is
this the same for a planned C-section as for an emergency one? Or did my
doctors just give me stronger meds since I didn't have a baby to take care
of and it didn't matter? It will be another classical C-section, so the
incision is quite large. I would really like to breastfeed.

--
Donna DeVore Metler
Orff Music, band, and choir, Lester Focused Literacy School

Mother to Angel Brian Anthony Metler, 1/1/02, (22 weeks, severe PE/HELLP
syndrome)
And "Cuddles"-EDD 12/29/04

Old May 26th 04, 01:37 PM
Carol Ann

I know that after my last one I was on some really heavy drugs for the
first
day or two, and on pain relievers for several weeks. I can't imagine this
would be good for the baby, since they almost completely knocked me out.

Is
this the same for a planned C-section as for an emergency one? Or did my
doctors just give me stronger meds since I didn't have a baby to take care
of and it didn't matter? It will be another classical C-section, so the
incision is quite large. I would really like to breastfeed.

I was advised to go ahead and breastfeed. It took 3 days for my milk to
come in. All went well.

~Carol Ann
Mom to Morgan born 3.24.04
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBNnDdizZNneg ---Pictures!

Old May 26th 04, 01:43 PM
}i{ Debra }i{

I know that after my last one I was on some
really heavy drugs for the first day or two, and
on pain relievers for several weeks. I can't
imagine this would be good for the baby, since
they almost completely knocked me out. Is
this the same for a planned C-section as for
an emergency one? Or did my doctors just
give me stronger meds since I didn't have a
baby to take care of and it didn't matter? It will
be another classical C-section, so the incision
is quite large. I would really like to breastfeed.

In my experience after my c-section (not planned but not emergency
either....long story), I did not have any pain meds at all after the
spind wore off.

Surprisingly for me I wasn't in any pain but just annoyed because of the
getting up and down with the staples jagging me. It wasn't pain just an
annoyance!

But everyone is different. Anyway I was breastfeeding the whole 3 days
when were in the hospital. The best thing to do is to ask your OB what
pain management after a c-section for a breastfeeding mom would be if
necessary.

HTH

Debra

Old May 26th 04, 01:59 PM
Donna

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
I know that after my last one I was on some really heavy drugs for the

first
day or two, and on pain relievers for several weeks. I can't imagine this
would be good for the baby, since they almost completely knocked me out.

Is
this the same for a planned C-section as for an emergency one? Or did my
doctors just give me stronger meds since I didn't have a baby to take care
of and it didn't matter? It will be another classical C-section, so the
incision is quite large. I would really like to breastfeed.

You absolutely can breastfeed following a C-section. I had a C, and was
able to establish nursing in the hospital. The extra day actually was
wonderful because I had excellent access to the lactation consultants and
was able to figure out how to latch before being discharged -- a huge
benefit.

As for the drugs, talk to your doctors about what painkillers you can take,
while breastfeeding. IIRC, I ended up taking pain killers for about ten
days - the prescription was written knowing that I was nursing.

Best wishes!

Donna

Old May 26th 04, 01:59 PM
Christine

Hummm,a twist to your situation,,,,,

mine was a emergency ( kinda ) well, uplanned, and I have no problems at
all with BF.....but I didnt take any pain meds after the hospital...

good luck.

http://www.growingfamily.com/webnurs...LID=9T8S0V9F5G

Old May 26th 04, 02:13 PM
Mary W.

Donna Metler wrote:

I know that after my last one I was on some really heavy drugs for the first
day or two, and on pain relievers for several weeks. I can't imagine this
would be good for the baby, since they almost completely knocked me out. Is
this the same for a planned C-section as for an emergency one? Or did my
doctors just give me stronger meds since I didn't have a baby to take care
of and it didn't matter? It will be another classical C-section, so the
incision is quite large. I would really like to breastfeed.

Sure can. I was on percocet? for the pain. I did go off that and onto
advil pretty quick because I thought the percocet might be making
DD drowsy and thus difficult to get her to latch on.

Try to make arrangements to nurse ASAP, preferable within
an hour while still in recovery.

You'll probably have to do the football hold at first, my incision
was quite painful in any other hold. Do not let them supplement
with a bottle. And I'd suggest making contact with a good
lactation consultant so that if you have problems you have someone
to turn to. You may also want to read m.k.breastfeeding

We had many problems in the beginning, but overcame them and
DD nursed until she was two. Best of luck!

Mary

Old May 26th 04, 02:19 PM
Alissa

snip

Mother to Angel Brian Anthony Metler, 1/1/02, (22 weeks, severe PE/HELLP
syndrome)
And "Cuddles"-EDD 12/29/04

If you had a classical for HELP and severe PE at 22 weeks it was to save
your life they were not worrying about anything but you, I think a classical
is more painful but they should not give you drugs that will interfere with
feeding or cause harm, talk to your DR, you should be able to control your
pain meds to have just enough to dull the pain but not wipe you out
completely.I haven't heard of anyone not being able to feed their baby after
a c/section.Good luck
Alissa

Old May 26th 04, 02:21 PM
Donna

"Christine" wrote in message

http://www.growingfamily.com/webnurs...LID=9T8S0V9F5G

Christine, what a beautiful, delicate baby!

Donna

Old May 26th 04, 02:25 PM
Jill

I know that after my last one I was on some really heavy drugs for the
first
day or two, and on pain relievers for several weeks. I can't imagine

this
would be good for the baby, since they almost completely knocked me out.

I didn't have a c-section, but I had a bad tear and episiotomy too from a
forceps delivery, and in the week afer delivery I had BAD bad pain...they
said the tear and cut went through my muscles inside the vaginal/perineal
area.

I was breastfeeding and on pain meds and I felt a little worried about it,
but the drugs did not seem to affect the baby, they didn't even make her
sleepy. The doctors knew I was breastfeeding and gave me drugs they said
were safe.

I don't know what drugs you are on but I can tell you that my doctors gave
me Vicodin 10mgs, Percocet 5's, Motrin 800mgs, and also ok'd for me to take
Mepergan (demerol pill mixed with phenergan). I wasn't on all that at once,
just one drug in addition to the Motrin. And they gave me only a small
supply, like 1-2 days worth, they just kept having to call them in for me
for extra days.

I don't know what they give you for a c-section but they should have
something safe for breastfeeding....

Old May 26th 04, 02:57 PM
Tracey

I had two planned c-sections, and nursed successfully both times. I took
Percoset for only about 2-3 days each time, then spent a few more days past
that on ibuprofen. In neither case did I have any problem with regards to
breastfeeding. I think I nursed the baby about 1 hour after birth in both
cases.
Tracey in CT

[...]

Cesarean Section Booklet Jodi Pregnancy 2 April 16th 04 06:23 PM
Breastfeeding support mini-vent... Jill Pregnancy 32 April 6th 04 04:28 PM
mom and baby (10 mos) both on Zithromax, any chance to breastfeed? C Du General 36 December 24th 03 07:21 PM
stats deja blues General 10 October 10th 03 06:55 PM
DRUGS-INDUCED/DRUGS CAN WORSEN RLS/PLMD: CAUTION! RLS/PLMD patients taking a medication prescribed by their qualified healthcare provider in this Section should not abruptly stop it. They should consult their qualified healthcare provider first. [email protected] Pregnancy 0 July 16th 03 05:58 AM