The Foster Care Council Of Canada

Old March 9th 04, 06:02 AM
John Dunn

Default The Foster Care Council Of Canada

Who Are We?

The Foster Care Council of Canada is a non-profit organization made up of
caring individuals giving a voice and offering support to those affected by
the standardized policies and procedures of our current Child Welfare
System.

We are adults, teens, parents (foster, biological and adoptive), concerned
professionals & community support workers working together to promote
positive change in Canada.

Once again, we are not in anyway affiliated with any Children's Aid
Societies or Governmental Child Services Departments

Mission Statement

The Foster Care Council Of Canada provides a safe environment for people
directly or formerly involvement with child welfare agencies to offer each
other support. We encourage the validation of each other's collective
experiences and the sharing of knowledge, and resources.

Every citizen has the right to have a support person present during all
interactions with any child welfare agency. The Council encourages
participants of our program to attend meetings with each other to reduce
vulnerability by acting as a witness.

Where the Council determines that a child welfare agent is acting
arbitrarily or abusively the Council will endeavor to initiate positive,
sweeping changes to the practices and attitudes of these professionals, at
all levels within the field, from front line workers, to administrative
executives by whatever means it can manage. Or if the Council determines
legislation or policy is harmful to the family and or the child the council
will endeavor to reform the legislation or policy through public education,
protest and lobbying the administrators and or the legislators and in some
cases through litigation.

Currently the Council is working on the issue of open records and open
adoption. As well the Council has observed that most child welfare agencies
rarely document positive progress the family makes while involved with them.
Therefore, we intend to promote a change in this negative file keeping
practice. In the mean time we will document and record the positive
development the family wants recognized.

We also wish to provide participants who either receive or provide child
welfare services, with foster care and adoption related information relevant
to their province, including statistics, and interviews with families and
professionals

The Foster Care Council of Canada
http://www.afterfostercare.com