milk allergies, and how I've dealt with my own problem...

Old August 1st 04, 11:29 AM
Tori M.

Default milk allergies, and how I've dealt with my own problem...

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
.. .
All this mention about milk allergies, lately, reminds me of my own
experience. I have had trouble with milk for more than half of my life.
I was OK as a kid, but around 11ish, I started having trouble. First,
it was just a sore stomach after downing a glass of 2%. Eventually, I
started getting real digestive upset, and I would get it from much
smaller amounts than just a full glass, and I would get it from other
sources, too. It eventually got to the point where I had to start
trying to deal with the problem.

I have the same problem with milk. I dont know if you have this part as
well but along with not being able to drink full fat milk without tummy
problems if i drink any milk before I eat a good meal or with cerial in the
morning it makes me nauseas That means carnation instant breakfast is out
for me. Someone else has mentioned that there is less lactose in skim milk
then in full but from what i recall it is actualy the other way arround.
Cream is all fat so atkins people can use that but not skim. Lactose is the
sugar.. Anyway I have always just figured I had a problem with the fat since
other sourses of fat tend to irratate my tummy

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

Old August 1st 04, 03:32 PM
toypup

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
.. .
Now, I'm on my third attempt, and I really seem to have found something
that works beautifully! *Filtered* skim milk! Any brand. I can suck
that stuff back like it's nothing. It gives me absolutely no digestive
upset at all. This is a very good thing, because I've been craving milk
like nuts during this pregnancy. I've been consuming almost an entire
small bag (one out of the three bags that you normally get inside a
larger bag - not sure of the measurements) every day. I love love love
filtered skim milk. ;-)

Where the heck do you get filtered skim milk? Do you do it yourself? What
do they filter out?

Old August 1st 04, 05:55 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

toypup wrote:

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
.. .

Now, I'm on my third attempt, and I really seem to have found something
that works beautifully! *Filtered* skim milk! Any brand. I can suck
that stuff back like it's nothing. It gives me absolutely no digestive
upset at all. This is a very good thing, because I've been craving milk
like nuts during this pregnancy. I've been consuming almost an entire
small bag (one out of the three bags that you normally get inside a
larger bag - not sure of the measurements) every day. I love love love
filtered skim milk. ;-)

Where the heck do you get filtered skim milk? Do you do it yourself? What
do they filter out?

I can get it in any grocery store I shop in. I can also get it at my
corner store (Mac's Milk). (horribly expensive at the corner store, but
hey they are one of the few places that I know of that actually cares
for their milk, so they are a good place to shop)

IIRC, they *claim* to filter out bacteria that aren't killed by the
pasteurization process. I honestly have no idea what they filter out,
nor do I care. All I know is that I can drink the stuff with impunity.
:-) The taste is different, though, but it's actually a nice taste, IMO.

Brand names that I know of in Canada are Lactantia (now owned by
Parmalat) and Neilson. I think Neilson *just* introduced their brand,
maybe about a year ago, but I can't remember for sure. I should be
careful, though... I live in an area that is regularly used as a test
market for both Canada and the US, so it's possible that Nelson's brand,
at least, is not available elsewhere yet (if they even sell outside of
Canada - I actually have no idea if they are multinational or what,
since I can't find a website for them). Lactantia was previously
Canadian-only (and they have a website), so it might not be available
elsewhere, despite having been bought up by Parmalat.

Now if only they would make ice cream out of this stuff... Then I would
be set.
Old August 1st 04, 06:18 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Tori M. wrote:

[...]

But the thing for me is that I no longer think it's the fat. Also,
AFAIK, lactose is found in all parts of milk, so you should still get it
in cream or skim. AFAIK, the only way to get rid of it is to break it
down.

I don't know *what* I react to, but I sure do react to *something* in
regular milk. It seems like filtered is the only way to go, for me, so
I hope that the stuff *never* gets taken off the market. ;-) (it
wasn't very popular at first, likely because it's more expensive, but it
has stuck around because it has a bit of a die-hard following)
Old August 1st 04, 08:09 PM
Tori M.

Now if only they would make ice cream out of this stuff... Then I would
be set.

You could always get an icecream maker I have one I would give you but
you live too far away I do not care for home made icecream but discovered
that after I bought the dumb thing.

Tori

Old August 1st 04, 11:32 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Tori M. wrote:
Now if only they would make ice cream out of this stuff... Then I would
be set.

You could always get an icecream maker I have one I would give you but
you live too far away I do not care for home made icecream but discovered
that after I bought the dumb thing.

Actually, I have one! I got it as some club reward for something. I
don't use it anymore, though, because the motorized part is just
waaaaaaaay too loud. I only used it about two or three times. Too bad,
actually, because the ice cream it made came out really nicely.
Old August 2nd 04, 12:21 AM
pologirl

Vicky Bilaniuk wrote
I don't know *what* I react to, but I sure do react to *something* in
regular milk. It seems like filtered is the only way to go, for me

[...]

Filtration will trap things that are above a certain size; do you
know what that size limit is?

FWIW, I think it is highly unlikely that the filtration itself is
responsible for your being able to drink the milk. Rather, I would
bet the filtered milk comes from a specific dairy or cooperative.
And those cows have a diet that lacks whatever you are allergic to.

I have a brother who is allergic only to something in milk bottled
in a certain part of the US. Which means that if he avoids dairy
products from a certain major supermarket brand, he can be fairly
confident of having no exposure to the allergen. Whatever it is.

Pologirl
Old August 2nd 04, 01:07 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

pologirl wrote:

Vicky Bilaniuk wrote

I don't know *what* I react to, but I sure do react to *something* in
regular milk. It seems like filtered is the only way to go, for me

[...]

Filtration will trap things that are above a certain size; do you
know what that size limit is?

Nope. I know nothing other than that filtered milk is OK. Other kinds
of milk from the same companies is not OK. I can go with any company (I
mentioned two in particular, but there was a third that I couldn't
remember when I wrote my previous post). I know nothing about their
processing techniques, though.

FWIW, I think it is highly unlikely that the filtration itself is
responsible for your being able to drink the milk. Rather, I would
bet the filtered milk comes from a specific dairy or cooperative.
And those cows have a diet that lacks whatever you are allergic to.

I wouldn't be able to say, because I don't have enough info. Sounds
like a good explanation, but really all I know is that one type of milk
is filtered, and the other is not, and it's the "filtered" stuff that
works for me, regardless of company, and there are 3 companies that I've
tried. (the one I forgot to mention before is Natrel) I have finally
managed to find websites for all 3 companies, and unfortunately, they're
all Canadian only, by the sounds of things (really shocked me, actually
- I'm so used to everything being foreign owned). Anyway, one gets its
milk from Quebec, another from Ontario, and the third from "Eastern
Canada". All of them make filtered milk that goes down well with me,
and other kinds of milk that make me sick. ;-) I have no clue if there
are special diets that they ask the farmers to use for milk that is
intended to be "filtered". I wouldn't be surprised if at least Nielson
is messing with the diets, though, because according to their website,
some of their products are based entirely on special diets for the cows.

I'll have to ask my grandparents, who used to own a dairy farm, if milk
companies used to ask for special diets at all. They've never mentioned
anything along those lines, but then they owned their farm back in the
50s and 60s, so things may be very different now. They *did* mention
that both the law and the dairy companies were really picky about the
cleanliness of equipment, though. As a result, my grandparents kept
their equipment so clean that when their milk got to the local cheese
factory, the factory had to actually add bacteria because the milk was
too clean. ;-) (so the story goes, anyway)
Old August 2nd 04, 01:11 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Vicky Bilaniuk wrote:
tried. (the one I forgot to mention before is Natrel) I have finally
managed to find websites for all 3 companies, and unfortunately, they're
all Canadian only, by the sounds of things (really shocked me, actually

Oh geeze, now I feel really badly. I just looked at Natrel's site a bit
more, and they don't even sell their filtered products outside of
Ontario. For all I know, the market might be that small for the other
companies, too. I feel badly for having mentioned these products at
all. I honestly thought that the stuff would be available all over the
place.
Old August 2nd 04, 01:29 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

pologirl wrote:

Vicky Bilaniuk wrote

I don't know *what* I react to, but I sure do react to *something* in
regular milk. It seems like filtered is the only way to go, for me

[...]

Filtration will trap things that are above a certain size; do you
know what that size limit is?

Just to add... Going from what I found he
http://www.natrel.ca/english/faq/faq_17.html
It sounds like the filter filters out things that are just slightly
bigger than the largest naturally occurring protein in milk. This would
make sense when thinking of their claim that it removes a lot of
bacteria, since bacteria are much larger than your average protein.
Beyond that I can't say anything else. I don't know what the largest
protein in milk is. I tried a google search, but as usual, google is
completely useless for anything in the scientific realm (all I ever get
from them is absolute trash when trying to look up anything relating to
chemistry or biology).

Anyway, I'm actually going to e-mail them, just out of curiosity.