Litter boxes?

Old August 1st 04, 08:39 PM
Donna Metler

Default Litter boxes?

My husband is going to be out of town for a few days. Is is safe for me to
scoop the litter boxes (indoor-only cats, commercial diet) while he's out of
town, or should I call my petsitter and arrange for her to come by and do it
(which would feel really weird while I'm at home)?

Old August 1st 04, 09:07 PM
Sue

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
.. .
My husband is going to be out of town for a few days. Is is safe for me to
scoop the litter boxes (indoor-only cats, commercial diet) while he's out

of
town, or should I call my petsitter and arrange for her to come by and do

it
(which would feel really weird while I'm at home)?

I personally wouldn't call someone in to change the litter. I changed the
litter throughout all three of my pregnancies. I just used gloves and washed
my hands afterwards. If you are immune to toxioplasmosis, then there
shouldn't be a problem as far as I am aware of.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old August 1st 04, 09:15 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Donna Metler wrote:

My husband is going to be out of town for a few days. Is is safe for me to
scoop the litter boxes (indoor-only cats, commercial diet) while he's out of
town, or should I call my petsitter and arrange for her to come by and do it
(which would feel really weird while I'm at home)?

If it were me, I would have him clean the litter
really well before he left, and then I'd be sure to clean
it once or twice a day and wash my hands well afterwards.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old August 1st 04, 10:01 PM
Shelly

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
.. .
My husband is going to be out of town for a few days. Is is safe for me to
scoop the litter boxes (indoor-only cats, commercial diet) while he's out

of
town, or should I call my petsitter and arrange for her to come by and do

it
(which would feel really weird while I'm at home)?

Oh, this is going to sound awful, but personally I'd call the petsitter -
and for all the wrong reasons. LOL!! My pregnancy was the only time in 8
years of marriage that I have gotten DH to change the litter box. It was
wonderful, and it ended the day our son was born. If I had changed it even
once while I was pregnant, I am sure he would've stopped sooner.

It is probably safe though...I'd wear gloves just to be safe.

-Michelle

Old August 1st 04, 10:26 PM
Lindy

Default Litter boxes?question

so you cant get toxyplasmosis from breathing in the odor from the litter
boxes? thats how i thought you got it. we have 4 cats and 4 litter
boxes. they are on our back porch. if i ever had to go back there and
get the vacuum or something id always hold my breath or cover my nose.
so is that not necessary?
i do agree though, it is nice having my boyfriend clean the litter boxes
and give me a break for awhile.

http://community.webtv.net/lindo_84/LindysPictures

Old August 1st 04, 11:41 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Lindy wrote:

so you cant get toxyplasmosis from breathing in the odor from the litter
boxes? thats how i thought you got it. we have 4 cats and 4 litter
boxes. they are on our back porch. if i ever had to go back there and
get the vacuum or something id always hold my breath or cover my nose.
so is that not necessary?

Nah. You have to eat it. So basically, if you change the litter (or
touch it for any other reason) and then not wash your hands, there is a
risk that you could stick your fingers in your mouth. ;-) It's the
feces that you can get it from, in particular. There are also certain
meats that are more likely to contain the parasite (pork, lamb and
venison, according to the CDC's site), so make sure to wash your hands
properly after handling raw meat, and cook it well. (my risk in the
meat department has always been low... Lamb? Venison? YUCK! I can
eat *some* pork but most of it is just as much YUCK as lamb and venison.
;-) )
Old August 2nd 04, 12:35 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Lindy wrote:

so you cant get toxyplasmosis from breathing in the odor from the litter
boxes? thats how i thought you got it.

No. You have to actually ingest the oocyte, which doesn't
become active until it's been out of the cat's body for 24 hours.
You can also get toxoplasmosis from handling raw meat or
gardening.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old August 2nd 04, 01:42 AM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Donna Metler wrote:

*My husband is going to be out of town for a few days. Is is safe for me to
*scoop the litter boxes (indoor-only cats, commercial diet) while he's out of
*town, or should I call my petsitter and arrange for her to come by and do it
*(which would feel really weird while I'm at home)?

If your concern is toxoplasma, and you scoop daily, you're fine. It takes
24 hrs for any toxo oocysts to sporulate and become infectious.

Old August 2nd 04, 01:42 AM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Lindy wrote:

*so you cant get toxyplasmosis from breathing in the odor from the litter

Nope. http://www.hillary.net/school/toxo.txt

It's fecal-oral transmission.

Old August 3rd 04, 05:30 PM
Kaybee

Trust me here do not change the litter box....there are so many problems
that the baby could develop. I have a friend that is almost blind because
his mom changed the litter box while she was prego with him.

Kay
Mommy to Eva Sept 2002
one on the way Jan 2005