Diaper Rash

Old January 19th 05, 02:29 AM
Leslie

Default Diaper Rash

I just don't know what to do about Lorelei's diaper rash, which has persisted
for nearly 7 weeks now!

At her three week checkup, the ped said she had a little yeast rash and to use
Lotrimin on it. I bought that, as well as Micatin and Tinactin and Desenex and
alternated them to get all strains of yeast. However, the rash only seemed to
respond to Lotrimin.

It never would clear up all the way. After a couple of weeks I called and got
a prescription for Nystatin drops. This seemed to help, but before the bottle
was all gone, the rash was back! We finished the bottle, continued with the
Lotrimin, tried gentian violet and tea tree oil, and sprinkled acidophilus on
her diaper area and in her mouth, to no avail.

By her two month check, there were just a few spots in the rectal area. The NP
said it didn't look like yeast to her and suggested I use A & D but gave me a
script for (I think) Cicloprex which she said was antifungal and antibiotic.

One day without Lotrimin and the rash returned with a vengeance, so I
alternated Lotrimin with the new stuff. New stuff is now almost gone but the
rash has gotten worse again! I had put away the cloth diapers for a time and
when I reintroduced them everything went red. I thought it was possibly
irritation from urine so I switched back to disposables for now. It subsided
for a bit but now it's blazing red all the way up to the insides of her thighs
and the skin is also a bit yellowish and leathery.

Any clues? Has anyone else ever experienced a rash like this? She is crying
when I wipe her now. :-(

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
Lorelei (11/10/04 -- another VBAC)

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Old January 19th 05, 05:10 AM
Mamma Mia

i used a magical ointment from a local chemist here in oz. they ship
worldwide, i can get the details if you want.

but other than that, looks liek you are trying everyting. Sounds very
awful, i feel for you and lorelie

christine

Old January 19th 05, 05:20 AM
Kelly

Wow, that is a remarkable rash. I have no advice (sorry) but sending you
and Lorelei sympathetic thoughts. That rash sounds painful.

Can a food reaction cause a rash like that-like something in your
breastmilk?

Kelly

Old January 19th 05, 05:54 AM
Nikki

Leslie wrote:
I just don't know what to do about Lorelei's diaper rash, which has
persisted for nearly 7 weeks now!

Ugh, sounds terrible. One of mine had an awful rash that wouldn't heal,
that wasn't yeast. It was recommended to try the lowest % hydrocortisone
cream I could find and use it once a day. The rash was done in two days.
No kidding. Your yellowish/leatherish description doesn't match mine though
and while I don't remember how old (or even which!) he was I know he was a
lot older then Lorelei is now so you might want to ask your doc before
trying it.

Hope it clears soon.
--
Nikki

Old January 19th 05, 05:59 AM
Todd Gastaldo

Leslie,

I am NOT recommending this for little Lorelei - just saying something that
SEEMED to work on my infant daughter - like magic - years ago.

So, don't try this at home, but...

Red wine. A good merlot I think it was. Not *in* the baby - on the rash -
LOL.

The stuff worked on a horrible diaper rash.

Then again, the horrible diaper rash maybe was going to go away anyway?

Todd

PS Later, a few drops of the merlot instilled in the ear for an earache -
cleared up the earache too. This was not my idea. I THINK it was the idea
of Stig Erlander, PhD, a biochemist who taught nutrition at Los Angeles
College of Chiropractic in the 70s. But I might be wrong. If nothing else,
this is usenet entertainment - something to chuckle about and ignore.
Always talk to your health professional before even thinking about trying
hare-brained ideas like this. Nothing on PubMed about that I could find..

Old January 19th 05, 09:37 AM
Lindsay

Given that it's gone on so long I'd go see the doctor about it. It may
need something stronger or a look at your diet or help from a
dermatologist.

Old January 19th 05, 12:56 PM
Jenrose

She may be reacting to something in the creams. Have you considered doing
diflucan (systemic).

My foster son had white spots inside his cheeks and red spots on his bum...
I asked the ped, "What are the odds that there's yeast in the middle, too?"

He had 2-3 doses and it all cleared up.

Jenrose

Old January 19th 05, 02:15 PM
Elle

Leslie wrote:
I just don't know what to do about Lorelei's diaper rash, which has

persisted
for nearly 7 weeks now!

Do dermatologists see babies? It might be time to bring on the heavy
artillery, sounds like you have done everything possible. Maybe she has
an allergy?

Poor baby

Elle
2/16/2005

Old January 19th 05, 03:16 PM
Jenny

Lorelai,

I work in a nursing home, and when one of the residents gets a yeast
infection on his/her bottom, we use nystatin cream. It generally
works like a charm on them. Do you think the prescription your doc
gave you would have worked had you continued it?
Old January 19th 05, 03:24 PM
Nikki

Jenny wrote:
Lorelai,

I work in a nursing home, and when one of the residents gets a yeast
infection on his/her bottom, we use nystatin cream. It generally
works like a charm on them. Do you think the prescription your doc
gave you would have worked had you continued it?

Oh, that reminds me. There is an oitment called calmoseptine. It is really
expensive ($8 for a little tube I think) but I know people that swear by it.
I've never used it so can't say personally.
http://www.calmoseptineointment.com/

--
Nikki