Autreat 2004 Call for Proposals

Old March 11th 04, 08:32 PM
ANI member

Default Autreat 2004 Call for Proposals

Please circulate widely:

Autreat 2004 will be held Monday-Thursday, June 28-July 1, 2004, at
our
new location outside Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. We are moving to a
small
college campus for improved comfort, accessibility, and food service.
The
campus will still provide the open space and freedom to roam that
have always been part of Autreat.

Autreat is a retreat-style conference run by Autism Network
International.
We are now accepting proposals for workshops to be presented at this
year's Autreat.

WHAT KINDS OF WORKSHOPS ARE WANTED AT AUTREAT?

Autreat is very different from typical autism conferences. When
preparing
a proposal for consideration, be aware that the *primary* audience at
Autreat is autistic people. Parents and professionals do attend, and
most who attend find the presentations to be of interest, but Autreat
is
basically autistic space. Be sure your information is being presented
in
a manner that is both helpful to and respectful of autistic people. We
expect that you will be speaking *to* us, not speaking to non-autistic
people *about* us.

We are interested in workshops, by either autistic or non-autistic
people,
about positive ways of living with autism, about functioning as
autistic
people in a neurotypical world, and about the disability movement and
its
significance for autistic people.

We are *not* interested in workshops about how to cure, prevent, or
overcome autism. We do *not* appreciate having non-autistic people
come
into our space to talk to each other about how difficult we are to
deal
with, or how heroic they are for putting up with us. If your workshop
is
geared toward the interests of parents or professionals, it should
focus
on positive ways of appreciating and supporting autistic people, not
on
reinforcing negative attitudes about autism and autistic people.

A word about "personal experience" presentations:

Be aware that everyone at Autreat either knows what it's like to be
autistic, or knows what it's like to care about someone who is
autistic.
All of us have our own personal stories. Presentations about the
presenters' personal stories are not going to generate much interest,
unless you're able to use your story in a way that will help other
people
to share and understand our own experiences in a new way. Your
proposal
should describe what participants can expect to get out of your
workshop,
not just what personal experiences you're going to talk about.

TO LEARN MORE ABOUT WORKSHOP TOPICS OF INTEREST

If you have never attended Autreat before, please review the ANI web
site
(www.ani.ac) and the past Autreat brochures, and contact Jim Sinclair
) if you have questions, to make sure you
understand what Autreat is about and whether your topic is relevant to
ANI's philosophy.

WHAT IS EXPECTED OF PRESENTERS?

Presenters are asked to commit to giving their workshop twice during
the
course of Autreat, if this should be necessary to allow more people to
attend. We will try to accommodate presenters' schedules as much as
possible, in terms of scheduling both sessions of your workshop on the
same day or on two different days, according to your preference.

Presenters are expected to send advance copies of any handouts or
transparencies they plan to use, so that we can prepare alternate
format
copies for print-impaired attendees.

Presenters are expected to submit an article on their topic for
inclusion
in the program book. These also need to be submitted in a timely
manner,
so we can prepare copies in alternate formats.

Presenters are expected to consent for their workshops to be
videotaped,
and for the tapes to be sold by Autism Network International.

Please be prepared to meet these expectations if you decide to submit
proposal.

WHAT'S IN IT FOR THE PRESENTERS?

Autreat presenters receive free registration, including on-site meals
and
lodging.

ANI is a volunteer-run, member-supported grassroots organization with
minimal funding. We cannot reimburse for off-site expenses, nor can we
pay
travel expenses or honoraria. If your proposal is accepted, we will
send
you a formal letter of invitation if this would help you in raising
your
own travel funds.

Presenters are entitled to receive one free copy of the videotape of
their
workshop (whichever session is chosen to be the one copied and sold).

PROPOSALS SHOULD INCLUDE:

* Title of your proposed workshop

* Detailed description for consideration by the planning committee

* Brief (5 sentences or less) abstract exactly as you want it listed
in
program materials should your proposal be accepted

* Your name and title (if any) exactly as you want them listed in
program
materials should your proposal be accepted

* Contact information (address, phone, fax/email if you have them)

* Brief (5 sentences or less) presenter bio exactly as you want it
listed
in program materials should your proposal be accepted

* Any audiovisual equipment you would need for your workshop

If you have never presented at Autreat before, please also include an
introduction for the planning committee summarizing your relevant
experience, including any presentations or other education/advocacy
activities elsewhere, and the nature of your interest in autism and/or
in
general disability issues.

PROPOSAL DEADLINE:

April 15, 2004.

HOW TO SUBMIT A PROPOSAL

Proposals can be submitted via email to Jim Sinclair
), or via snailmail to ANI at the address
below.

WHAT IF I DON'T WANT TO PRESENT, BUT I HAVE AN IDEA FOR A WORKSHOP I'D
LIKE TO SEE?

If you want to make suggestions for Autreat presentations, or make
comments about previous presentations or presenters, please fill out
the
questionnaire available at http://ani.autistics.org/autplan2.txt and
send
and
send it via snailmail to ANI at the address below.

Autism Network International
P.O. Box 35448
Syracuse NY 13235
שלח תגובה