What to expect at 12-week appointment?

Old November 2nd 03, 09:46 PM

Default What to expect at 12-week appointment?

(in the U.S.)...I am just wondering what to expect at my 12 week
appointment. They did a sonogram at 8 weeks, so I doubt they will do one
this time, they said they measure the belly- how do they do this? With a
machine or something more traditional?

I think they may want to do more of those blood tests for neural tube
defects etc. Other than that, what can I expect?

Oh by the way....when do they do the sonogram to determine the sex of the
baby- isn't that at around 5 months? I feel like it's a girl..and the heart
rate is high so by the old wives tale, it's a girl too...I really truly
honestly feel this feeling that it's a girl, I can't explain it.

Old November 2nd 03, 10:55 PM
Dagny

"J" wrote in message
. com...
(in the U.S.)...I am just wondering what to expect at my 12 week
appointment. They did a sonogram at 8 weeks, so I doubt they will do one
this time, they said they measure the belly- how do they do this? With a
machine or something more traditional?

Oh boy. You're way into the doctor authority, pregnant womam vessel
syndrome. Been there, decided I didn't like it.

Measuring tape.

I think they may want to do more of those blood tests for neural tube
defects etc.

Shouldn't this be about what *you* want? Is this what you want? Are you
aware of the false positive rates for the test? How are you going to handle
a positive result? Would you abort? Would you have invasive testing? How
invasive?

Other than that, what can I expect?

Weight, urine. They may try to hear the baby with a Doppler ultrasound
device. Warning, this will probably make you very nervous if they can't
find the heartbeat yet.

Oh by the way....when do they do the sonogram to determine the sex of the
baby- isn't that at around 5 months?

Well, let me nitpick, they do the sonogram to see if there are any
defects -- most of them (not all) are not anything they can help in utero,
but by increasing the rate of elective termination, the doctors better their
stats at birth. Or as my doctor said, I can lower your risk of Down's
syndrome if you will let me do the ultrasound. ROTFL. They do it at 18-20
weeks' gestation because abortion at that point is still legal.

Parents flock to the second trimester ultrasound because of the sex
determination, however.

I feel like it's a girl..and the heart
rate is high so by the old wives tale, it's a girl too...I really truly
honestly feel this feeling that it's a girl, I can't explain it.

Yeah, I felt mine was a girl and she was!

Take care,
Dagny

Old November 2nd 03, 10:56 PM
Coccinella

I have to start saying that I am 34 and I was considered high risk because
of infertility problems.
I had a longer u/s and they measured the nuchal fold (I don't know how to
spell it). It was quite funny because the baby was asleep in the wrong
position so thay had to move him/her around to make the measurement!

Love

Nicky

Old November 3rd 03, 12:03 AM
Carol Ann

:: (in the U.S.)...I am just wondering what to expect at my 12 week
:: appointment. They did a sonogram at 8 weeks, so I doubt they will do one
:: this time, they said they measure the belly- how do they do this? With a
:: machine or something more traditional?
::
:: I think they may want to do more of those blood tests for neural tube
:: defects etc. Other than that, what can I expect?

I had my first exam at 8 weeks. All my doctor did was take weight, blood,
urine and ask a few questions.

I had a transvaginal ultrasound. Very cool!

I had my second exam 12 weeks. My doctor took blood, urine, weight and
tried to use the doppler to allow me to hear the baby's heartbeat (couldn't
get it because I kept laughing). She DID measurements with a tape measure.

I was sent to the lab for extensive pregnancy blood tests.

I had my third exam at 16 weeks. My doctor took blood, urine, weight and I
was finally able to hear the baby's heartbeat with the use of the doppler (I
controlled my laughing fits). She MAY have taken measurements again, but
I'm not certain. I was so stunned by the heartbeat.

After discussing with my doctor that I did not want to have the amnio test,
I decided upon taking a TriScreen blood test. My doctor warned me that it
was not accurate, but I insisted.

This may be the worst decision I could have made. It came back positive for
downs syndrome. So, I decided to go ahead and take the amnio test.

*******************

Here's a copy of what I posted about my experience:

Talk about nervous! Wow! I started out having an ultrasound done. I was
so happy to be able to see the baby!

It moves and moves! The doctor came in after the US tech gathered the
important data and went in for the amnio. Unfortunately, the first stick
didn't work and she needed to do it again on the other side of my belly
button.

I can say without a doubt, OUCH!!! But, it wasn't a longterm pain. It was
over quite quickly.

The ultrasound tech allowed me to see allot of the baby after the amnio test
was complete as well. Thank goodness. It seemed to ease the tension I was
feeling and made having to be stuck worth it. My mother was able to also
come into the room and see the baby. Kevin was with me the entire
procedure.

The ultrasound tech said that the baby showed no obvious signs of downs
syndrome. Spine looked good, nucul fold (sp?) was normal....

I saw hands, fingers, knees, tummy, heart, head, nose....It was amazing to
see it. I still can't believe I am pregnant.

The due date is now March 31st. This time, the doctor says it is more
accurate.

Now we wait for the 2 weeks and see what happens.

**************

My recommendation is to NOT take the TriScreen test. There is something
horrible about hearing "The test came back positive for downs syndrome".

Whatever you decide, I do wish you the very best and am sending happy,
healthy baby vibes your way!

~Carol Ann
www.lowcarblosers.com ~ Home of the Monthly Weightloss Challenge

Old November 3rd 03, 02:56 AM

"Dagny" wrote
Measuring tape.

Are you serious, that's what they use??ugh...

Shouldn't this be about what *you* want? Is this what you want?

Yeah, I misspoke that...they would want to do them at this time if I agree.
They don't push them but they inform you a lot that they are available. I
doubt I'll do them.

Weight, urine. They may try to hear the baby with a Doppler ultrasound
device. Warning, this will probably make you very nervous if they can't
find the heartbeat yet.

snip They do it at 18-20
weeks' gestation because abortion at that point is still legal.

I didn't even know that abortion was legal past the 1st trimester. (except
in case where mother'slife is in danger). I know nothing about abortion.
Regular ob's don't do them, do they? (I'm not considering one, don't worry!
Just curious)...I thought you had to go to a clinic. As I said I know
nothing about abortion.

Old November 3rd 03, 03:00 AM

"Carol Ann" wrote

Whatever you decide, I do wish you the very best and am sending happy,
healthy baby vibes your way!

~Carol Ann

Thanks Carol Ann
I really think I am not going to have the testing; I don't want
amniocentesis, and I couldn't abort a baby unless something was very wrong
and it endangered my life , so it doesn't matter what comes back positive. I
will just have to deal with it as it comes but don't want to deal with false
positives.

I would never ever want to abort a baby just because it could have something
like down syndrome; that's horrible, I've known many many who have it and
lead really great quality lives and are such a joy to be around. I've pretty
much decided against the testing.

Old November 3rd 03, 03:04 AM
Dagny

"J" wrote in message
. com...

I didn't even know that abortion was legal past the 1st trimester. (except
in case where mother'slife is in danger). I know nothing about abortion.
Regular ob's don't do them, do they? (I'm not considering one, don't

worry!
Just curious)...I thought you had to go to a clinic. As I said I know
nothing about abortion.

Well, yes, regular OBs do them although I'm sure not all. I know a nurse
who works in the part of our biggest maternity hospital where the women go
for Downs type second trimester abortions.

Old November 3rd 03, 03:59 PM
Valerie Rake

J wrote:

"Dagny" wrote

Measuring tape.

Are you serious, that's what they use??ugh...

They just use it to measure the outside of your belly, from the bottom
of the curve of your bump to the top. FWIW, my OB didn't do this until
my 6th month or so. Too hard to distinguish the baby bump (fundus) from
the belly fat, I guess. They did palpate my belly/bump before that,
just to get a sense of where the fundus was.

Valerie

[...]

31 week appointment update and question kylee Pregnancy 1 October 23rd 03 02:20 AM
Just got back from my 30 week appointment SMK Pregnancy 4 October 4th 03 03:38 PM
Week 37+ ob/gyn appointment Elly Pregnancy 6 September 21st 03 01:38 PM
37 week update Em Pregnancy 5 September 11th 03 08:38 AM
35+ week ob/gyn appointment Elly Pregnancy 7 September 9th 03 11:14 PM