Re-introduction

Old October 20th 08, 03:55 AM posted to misc.kids
Babie

Default Re-introduction

Hey folks,

I'm not sure if any of you will remember me or not, but I recently decided
to resubscribe to this NG.

Here's some information about my family.

My name's Les. My partner's name is Jarrod. We have a 5 year old daughter
and we also, up until about 3 months ago, raised my almost 9 year old niece.

I was an extremely nervous/excited first time father. Now that our little
one's "grown up" I've found all new questions I may need quick answers to,
and this NG gave me so much help 5 years ago I thought I could jump in here
again.

We currently live in Albuquerque, NM, but we're really in need of a move.
Alegra (DD) wants to finish kindergarten with the same teacher so we're
waiting until June to move. Our plan is to move to Fresno, CA, so I've been
obsessively looking for new homes in that area *grin*

I know I'm leaving out a LOT, but that's us in a nutshell (whatever that
means)

LES!

Old October 20th 08, 04:00 AM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

"Babie" wrote:

Hey folks,

I'm not sure if any of you will remember me or not, but I recently decided
to resubscribe to this NG.

Here's some information about my family.

My name's Les. My partner's name is Jarrod. We have a 5 year old daughter
and we also, up until about 3 months ago, raised my almost 9 year old niece.

Hi LES - I'm over here too.

grandma Rosalie

Old October 20th 08, 04:09 AM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

"Babie" wrote:

We currently live in Albuquerque, NM, but we're really in need of a move.
Alegra (DD) wants to finish kindergarten with the same teacher so we're
waiting until June to move. Our plan is to move to Fresno, CA, so I've been
obsessively looking for new homes in that area *grin*

I found, through moving around the country a lot (having a dh in the Navy) that
the kids did better WRT friends and people to play with if they moved during the
school year, or at least not in the summer. It might be different out west and
in California, but we moved to the Boston area for the summer one year when
Bob's ship was in the Boston shipyard, and the kids were ignored by the children
on the street where we rented a house. The locals already had their own
friends.

We went to the AFB nearby and they were on the swim team, and they went to Girl
Scout daycamp. I visited my cousin who lived there. We also took daytrips to
Plymouth, Salem, Cape Cod and Strawberry Bank NH, and they did of course have
each other (at that point there were three of them ages 9, 7, and 2, and I was
pg with #4). So they didn't languish all summer with nothing to do. But it
would have been nice if they'd could have gone out and played with the other
children that we saw playing. That was the first time we had moved in the
summer, and I decided that if I had a choice, I would not do it again.

Old October 20th 08, 05:46 AM posted to misc.kids
toto

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 20:55:23 -0600, "Babie"
wrote:

My name's Les. My partner's name is Jarrod. We have a 5 year old daughter
and we also, up until about 3 months ago, raised my almost 9 year old niece.

Well, that's a *blast from the past*

Hi, Les. I remember you.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old October 20th 08, 06:00 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup[_2_]

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
"Babie" wrote:

[...]

I only remember what it was as a child. It was easier to start the school
year new rather than come in mid-year, because by mid-year, all friendships
were established. I also liked finishing off the school year with my
established friends.

Old October 20th 08, 12:08 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

"Babie" wrote in
:

Hey folks,

I'm not sure if any of you will remember me or not, but I
recently decided to resubscribe to this NG.

Here's some information about my family.

My name's Les. My partner's name is Jarrod. We have a 5
year old daughter and we also, up until about 3 months ago,
raised my almost 9 year old niece.

whoa! i was just thinking about you & wondering how you guys
were doing. welcome back!

having had to move in the middle of school years twice, i'd
say wait until the end of the school year to move if you can.
otherwise, since i'm an east coaster, i can't say much about
Fresno area schools
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old October 20th 08, 01:07 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka

Rosalie B. wrote:

I found, through moving around the country a lot (having a dh in the Navy) that
the kids did better WRT friends and people to play with if they moved during the
school year, or at least not in the summer.

Differently people have different experiences. I was a
military brat and made seven moves during my primary and secondary
school years. Five of those were during the summer, and two
were during the school year. I found the summer moves easier.
It's true that moving during the school year gets you in the
social milieu faster, but being dumped in a new classroom
mid-year when everyone else knows the ropes and you don't
(and in later years, when the curriculum is out of synch with
what you were used to) was harder.
When we moved in the summer, we typically didn't
make all that many friends until school started, but since
we were busy settling in and getting to know the area,
that didn't seem like much of a problem to me. I also
think that it's not that bad to come in fresh to first
grade, since a number of kids change schools between
kindergarten and first grade, for a variety of reasons.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old October 20th 08, 02:39 PM posted to misc.kids
Clisby[_2_]

Babie wrote:
[...]

Hi, I remember you! I'm putting in my vote for moving in the summer
rather than midyear.

Clisby
Old October 20th 08, 05:42 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

Clisby wrote:

Babie wrote:
[...]

I think it also depends on whether there are a lot of military families in the
area or not. When we lived in Florida, practically everyone was connected to
the military, so the schools and teachers were used to having kids come and go
through the year and had procedures for that. Here where we re now it is the
same. The are two types of people living here - military and local long time
residents. It was the same in California - there was a large transient
population.

In Boston and later in RI we lived far from the base and you weren't a local
unless your grandparents were born there. (I bought an old wardrobe from the
lady down the block who sold antiques and asked her about a little girl I saw on
her bike at the end of the driveway, and she said - oh those are the new people.
The 'new people' had been there for 12 years and ran the local store.) And in
California, the 'old people' were friendlier to newcomers. We lived in south
Philly for part of one year, and I don't think the kids had any particular
trouble there either.

Of course in the military you don't get much choice about when you move.

Old October 20th 08, 10:58 PM posted to misc.kids
Penny Gaines[_2_]

Babie wrote:
[...]

Hi Les,

I remember you and Alegra.

Sorry, I can't help with the moving: we moved once, at the start of the
school holidays, and didn't find any children for most of the summer.
But we didn't need to worry too much, as with three children in the
family they had each other to play with anyway.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

Introduction Soprano Child Support 15 July 29th 07 04:56 AM
Introduction Elizabeth Pregnancy 18 December 15th 04 10:20 AM
new here.. introduction emilyxmd General 2 December 15th 04 09:00 AM
Introduction Kristi Carney Single Parents 48 May 20th 04 03:07 AM
Introduction 127.0.0.1 Single Parents 4 January 24th 04 01:14 AM