charitable fund raiser at school

Old February 5th 05, 04:48 AM
bizby40

Default charitable fund raiser at school

My kids' school has many charitable drives during the school year. They
collect gently used backpacks, coats, and shoes at different times of the
year. They have also collected for the Tsunami Relief Fund this year, and
are having another fund raising dinner for that coming up. They have
written letters and collected things for our (American) soldiers overseas.
They had a canned food drive earlier this year. Last year they collected
warm clothes for students at a very poor school in Colombia. I know there
are others that I have forgotten.

I am happy that they teach the kids about caring, and make them aware of the
wider world. They have come home telling me about how people were left
homeless and without food or clean water after the tsunami. They talked
about the school children in Colombia who had to travel so far to school,
that some of them lived there during the week. They talk about children who
don't have enough to eat.

So far so good.

But there is one fund raiser that really gets me angry. It's called Jump
Rope for Heart, and it's to benefit the American Heart Association. It's
much more organized and "corporate" than the rest. Someone comes to the
school and gives a schoolwide presentation, complete with slides of all the
prizes the kids can win by collecting money. The kids come home with a full
color catalog filled with pictures of all those prizes, and run in the door
shouting, "Look what we can win!" And "If I collect the most money, guess
what I get?" I assume that they must talk about trying to help people with
heart disease somewhere in the presentation, but it can't be a big part of
it, because it goes completely over my kids' heads.

Furthermore, these prizes are given to the children during school. So if
your child does not participate, or does not collect as much as someone
else, it is very obvious. There are prizes associated with some of the
school and scout fund raisers as well, but at least they're given out
privately outside of school.

I'm really upset about this. I spoke to the principal about it one year,
but she just blew me off.

Would this upset you? Besides keeping my kids from participating, what else
can I do?

Bizby

Old February 5th 05, 05:25 AM
Melania

bizby40 wrote:
[...]

We did Jump Rope for Heart when I was a kid. I *hated* it, precisely
because of the competitiveness surrounding the fundraising and the
prizes. I think I ended up not participating, after a couple of
half-hearted attempts. It reminded me of the magazine sales
fundraisers, where kids had to go out and sell magazine subscriptions,
and then could win all these great prizes.

I wish I had more of an answer besides: yes, it would really upset me.
It would also get under my skin to be blown off by the principal.

My dad was an elementary school principal until last spring. I'll ask
him what he thinks of this kind of program, and what he would say.

Melania
Mom to Joffre (Jan 11, 2003)
and #2 (edd May 21, 2005)

Old February 5th 05, 09:21 AM
P. Tierney

"bizby40" wrote in message

My kids' school has many charitable drives during the school year. They
collect gently used backpacks, coats, and shoes at different times of the
year. They have also collected for the Tsunami Relief Fund this year, and
are having another fund raising dinner for that coming up. They have
written letters and collected things for our (American) soldiers overseas.

Out of curiosity, how do children go about collecting these things?

But there is one fund raiser that really gets me angry. It's called Jump
Rope for Heart, and it's to benefit the American Heart Association. It's
much more organized and "corporate" than the rest. Someone comes to the
school and gives a schoolwide presentation, complete with slides of all
the prizes the kids can win by collecting money. The kids come home with
a full color catalog filled with pictures of all those prizes, and run in
the door shouting, "Look what we can win!" And "If I collect the most
money, guess what I get?"

It seems to blur the line between fund raising for charity and just
being a salesperson, since salespeople sell their products for the sole
purpose of being able to buy other things, as appears to be the case
with these kids. So I can see the problem that one would have with it.

Furthermore, these prizes are given to the children during school. So if
your child does not participate, or does not collect as much as someone
else, it is very obvious. There are prizes associated with some of the
school and scout fund raisers as well, but at least they're given out
privately outside of school.

I'm really upset about this. I spoke to the principal about it one year,
but she just blew me off.

Would this upset you? Besides keeping my kids from participating, what
else can I do?

I'd hope that I could discuss it with the child to the point
where she would understand it and not care about what the
other kids are getting. Barring that, if the gift giving was all
done on a particular day, then I'd find out the day and time
and schedule a dentist's appointment (or something) on that
day so that my child wouldn't have to be a part of it.

Or if I was feeling creative, I'd come up, with the child,
some charitable thing that the two of us could do together
(volunteer at a nursing home or homeless shelter, something
of interest to the child), do the activity, and then take her out
to dinner to talk about what we did, and to enjoy each other's
company in the process.

P. Tierney

Old February 5th 05, 01:36 PM
Ericka Kammerer

bizby40 wrote:

I'm really upset about this [high pressure fundraising]. I spoke to the
principal about it one year, but she just blew me off.

Would this upset you? Besides keeping my kids from participating, what else
can I do?

Yes, it annoys me when it happens. I would speak to the
PTA about it. Usually they're the ones involved with these
monsters. I would be going to the meetings and talking to the
fundraising chair and insisting that it is inappropriate to go
after the kids this way. IIRC, last year they did the same
fundraiser at our school, but without the fanfare or the public
distribution of gifts. Actually, I was unaware that one could
win prizes doing it--it certainly wasn't hyped. I don't object
to it if they're going to keep it low key. I get cranky about
the annual gift wrap sale where they do go a bit overboard
(in my opinion), but even with that one they are careful not
to cross a line. They do hype the prizes somewhat, but they
don't distribute them publicly. They have prizes for the
classes with the best return, but most of them are based on
the number of kids who return the flyer (whether they had
any orders or not). E.g., maybe the grand prize is for the
classroom that made the most money, but most of the class
prizes will be along the lines of an ice cream party for
the 3rd grade class with the most order forms returned or
some such thing. So, they're at least trying to exercise
some sensitivity.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old February 5th 05, 01:55 PM
Sue

That's how our biggest fundraiser at school is handled. They pump up the
kids with the presentation and they are all in competitive mode. Sure it
bother's me, but the school does need the money for lots of the extra
programs they provide the kids. We have never participated, instead I write
one check and be done with it. I have sat down and talked with my girls
about not participating and not winning the prizes. They understand and it
has ended up not being a big deal. I personally don't have the energy to
fight about this one particular battle, so I let it go.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old February 5th 05, 03:49 PM
shinypenny

bizby40 wrote:
I'm really upset about this. I spoke to the principal about it one

year,
but she just blew me off.

Would this upset you? Besides keeping my kids from participating,

what else
can I do?

YES, this upsets me too. For us it was a magazine drive. My DD came
home and said that if she brought in the names and addresses of ten
family members/close friends, she'd win a prize. She was very focused
on getting the prize. It appeared to me that the fundraiser organizers
were encouraging her to simply copy the names and addresses straight
out of our family address book.

Well, I told her that people get awfully mad when someone gives away
their contact info without permission, especially when the purpose is
to send junk mail solicitations. And I didn't care that these were
relatives; we ask permission first!

So I had her call each and every individual first, give her fundraising
pitch, and ask for their address to send magazine info, "no purchase
required." She spent two hours making the phone calls, and did get
enough names to win the cheapo prize.

The odd thing is that none of the relatives have rec'd anything in the
mail yet. Of course they're all on the look-out, because since she
called first, they are happy to buy magazines for her fundraiser. This
was months ago. I think the whole thing was bizarre. What was the goal
here? How does the school profit, if people don't buy magazines? I just
don't get it.

jen

Old February 5th 05, 06:00 PM
enigma

"shinypenny" wrote in
oups.com:
think the whole thing was bizarre. What was the goal here?
How does the school profit, if people don't buy magazines?
I just don't get it.

they sell the contact info. they get paid for every name on
thier list.
lee
Old February 5th 05, 07:19 PM
bizby40

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
bizby40 wrote:

I'm really upset about this [high pressure fundraising]. I spoke to the
principal about it one year, but she just blew me off.

Would this upset you? Besides keeping my kids from participating, what
else can I do?

Yes, it annoys me when it happens. I would speak to the
PTA about it. Usually they're the ones involved with these
monsters.

This is actually the only one *not* associated with the PTO. The gym
teacher is the big pusher behind it, and all the kids jump rope in gym class
that day whether they've participated in the fund-raising drive or not.
That's why they get their prizes at school -- they're given out during gym
class that day.

Old February 5th 05, 10:09 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi --

Taking school time to discuss a charitable fundraiser is fine, but
taking time to *display the prizes* is not.

I'd talk with the principal about making sure that ALL kids can
participate in the jumping part, whether or not they raise funds, and
that the PTA provides prizes or certificates for ALL kids who jump,
disconnected from the fundraising. Then lobby to send the OTHER prizes
home with the winning kids quietly, without significant fanfare.

Our school does a Sally Foster giftwrap fundraiser annually, and that
comes with prizes for selling enough stuff. I'm not thrilled with it,
but it does seem to be a part of the American Way of Life, so we live
with it. (We don't let our kids go out and sell, though. And many
families can't afford to buy at our school. On the other hand, the
money raised goes to buy school supplies and subsidize field trips, etc,
for those same families.)

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.