Diaper rash advice needed

Old October 1st 04, 04:12 AM
Wendy

Default Diaper rash advice needed

Nolan has some pretty serious diaper rash. I change his diaper often
and apply Desitin before putting on a new diaper, which isn't helping at
all. I have also tried Johnson's 3-in-1 and Vaseline, neither helped. He
never had diaper rash until he was 12 months old (he is almost 15 months
now) and it seems to be recurring. Every time he gets diarrhea (which
has been more often than I think is normal, could this be due to
teething?) the rash really acts up. I think all that diaper changing and
wiping and ointment applying is actually making it worse due to the
friction on the rash. I also give him a bath every day, is that too much
when a baby has diaper rash? I thought keeping the area clean would help
and it seems to soothe him to be in tepid water. Poor little honey, it
looks like it really hurts! any suggestions/advice?

Wendy

Old October 1st 04, 04:49 AM
Carli Groven

Have you ever tried Aquaphor? That is my favorite ointment for diaper rash,
as well as severe dry skin, although you suggested that the ointment may be
making matters worse. I have read that it is important to keep the rashy
area as dry as possible, and some corn starch or talc can help keep the skin
dry. I don't know what kind of wipes you use, but hypoallergenic, unscented
wipes are best as chemicals and perfumes from some wipe solutions can be a
major cause of diaper rash. One last suggestion is to fasten his diapers
loosely to prevent chafing and to promote air circulation. I'm so sorry
about your little guy - it stinks when your babies are hurting and you're
not sure how to help it. :-( Good luck - I'm sure he'll get better soon!

Carli

Old October 1st 04, 04:59 AM
Leslie

When my babies had a rash that wouldn't clear up, it was usually a yeast rash.
Is it bright red fading to spots around the edges? If it's yeast, you want to
try Lotrimin or Micatin or Tinactin (generics are fine, and you may even want
to mix it up a bit to make sure you hit all possible varieties of yeast). For
non-yeast rashes, I punctured Vitamin A and Vitamin E soft gels and applied
those directly to the rash alternating with a barrier cream. I've also heard
that putting an antacid like Maalox directly on the rash can help.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Old October 1st 04, 05:17 AM
Marie

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:12:19 -0500, (Wendy)
wrote:
Nolan has some pretty serious diaper rash. I change his diaper often
and apply Desitin before putting on a new diaper, which isn't helping at
all. I have also tried Johnson's 3-in-1 and Vaseline, neither helped. He
never had diaper rash until he was 12 months old (he is almost 15 months
now) and it seems to be recurring. Every time he gets diarrhea (which
has been more often than I think is normal, could this be due to
teething?) the rash really acts up. I think all that diaper changing and
wiping and ointment applying is actually making it worse due to the
friction on the rash. I also give him a bath every day, is that too much
when a baby has diaper rash? I thought keeping the area clean would help
and it seems to soothe him to be in tepid water. Poor little honey, it
looks like it really hurts! any suggestions/advice?

If you think the wipes are hurting him, but still want to use them,
you can rinse them well with water. I rinse a pack of wipes at a time
to get out as much soap and whatever else is in them. My daughter has
some type of skin condition on her bottom that normal baby products
wouldn't clear up, but hydrocortisone cream did. The diarrhea does
make it worse, and the wipes hurt her skin (until I starting rinsing
them out) and make it worse. Washing it with soap bothers her some,
unless it's cleared up really well first. I don't do baths for her
every day, more like every other day or so, depending on how much she
played outside. What does the rash look like?
Marie
Old October 1st 04, 05:26 AM
Plissken

"Wendy" wrote in message
Nolan has some pretty serious diaper rash. I change his diaper often
and apply Desitin before putting on a new diaper, which isn't helping at
all. I have also tried Johnson's 3-in-1 and Vaseline, neither helped. He
never had diaper rash until he was 12 months old (he is almost 15 months
now) and it seems to be recurring. Every time he gets diarrhea (which
has been more often than I think is normal, could this be due to
teething?) the rash really acts up. I think all that diaper changing and
wiping and ointment applying is actually making it worse due to the
friction on the rash. I also give him a bath every day, is that too much
when a baby has diaper rash? I thought keeping the area clean would help
and it seems to soothe him to be in tepid water. Poor little honey, it
looks like it really hurts! any suggestions/advice?

My DD has never had diaper rash (knock on wood) but through various baby
groups I've heard this works fantastically...

1/2 hydrocortisone cream and 1/2 canestan

Hope it goes away quickly poor little guy!

Old October 1st 04, 05:55 AM
Lara

Carli Groven wrote:

I don't know what kind of wipes you use, but hypoallergenic, unscented
wipes are best as chemicals and perfumes from some wipe solutions can be a
major cause of diaper rash.

A few ingredient list from "unscented, hypoallergenic" commercial wipes:

"Water, Dimethicone, Propylene Glycol, Aloe Vera Gel, Sodium
Acrylates/Vinyl Isodecanoate Crosspolymer, Sodium Phosphate, Sorbitan
Oleate, Methylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben,
Bisabolol, Caprylic/CapricTriglyceride, Chamomile Extract" (Pampers)

"Water, Potassium Laureth Phosphate, Aloe Barbadensis, Glycerin,
Polysorbate 20, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Methylparaben, Malic
Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E is in the form of Tocopheryl
Acetate)" (Huggies)

"Water, Aloe Vera, Glycerin (Vegetable Derived), Allantoin, Panthenol,
Vitamin E, Tartaric Acid, Potassium Sorbate" (Tushies)

"Water, Aloe Vera, Glycerin (vegetable oil derived), Alkyl Polyglycoside
(a corn-based surfactant), Citric Acid (for stability), Vitamin E,
Sodium Hydroxymethyl Glycinate" (Seventh Generation)

So unscented wipes vary very widely in what chemicals and preservatives
are used.

Alternatively, dip a cloth in water with a little olive oil, or cooled
chamomile tea. It's really not that complicated.

Lara
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ozclothnappies
Old October 1st 04, 07:16 AM
cara

Wendy wrote:

Nolan has some pretty serious diaper rash. I change his diaper often
and apply Desitin before putting on a new diaper, which isn't helping at
all. I have also tried Johnson's 3-in-1 and Vaseline, neither helped. He
never had diaper rash until he was 12 months old (he is almost 15 months
now) and it seems to be recurring. Every time he gets diarrhea (which
has been more often than I think is normal, could this be due to
teething?) the rash really acts up.

Could he be reacting to something he's eating? Some culprits tend to be
apples, juices, even soy milk or regular dairy. I would monitor his
diet and see if it correlates.

cara

Old October 1st 04, 11:16 AM
karlisa

Hi Wendy,

Not sure where you are located, but the one ointment that has always been
recommended to us for Mick is Flanders
Buttocks Ointment. It is a miracle cream. You have to ask the pharmacist
for it--they keep it behind the counter usually. The pediatrician told us
to put a thick layer of this on the baby, followed by a thick layer of
Vaseline to seal it from moisture. Flanders has always worked for us, many
times overnight, clearing up Mick's diaper rash. I think you can get it at
the Walmart pharmacy or just about any pharmacy. Also, our doctor told us
that we could try taking Maalox. She said let the Maalox sit out in a dish
for a little bit so that it starts to thicken and dry out, and then apply
the thickend Maalox to the baby's bottom with a cotton ball. Good luck!

Lisa
micksmom
26 months old!
Baby Boy 2 due 2-8-05